Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Billie and a Date

2 months later - the week before Christmas...

"Hey Mikey, remember that Stella who used to write to you?" said Billie.

"Yeah said Mike" how could he forget. It was now quite obvious that she didn't want to write to him anymore, it had been about 7 months since he'd last heard from her. He'd written twice and then nothing from her. Why had everyone been right? 'That won't last' they all kept telling him when they'd started writing to each other. Why hadn't he listened? He felt sad thinking about it but Julie took his mind off it. He liked Julie a lot. He didn't love her but she always seemed to be around and he loved her listening to him play. She seemed quite happy to just hang out in the basement and watch him practice.

"Well it looks like this could be from her," said Billie and from behind his back he brought out this huge parcel with an airmail sticker on it.

"Oh my god" said Mike grinning from ear to ear. Stella was back.

"Well something has brought a smile to your face" said Billie handing over the parcel. "Fucking hell what's she put in there, all her worldly goods?"

Mike undid the parcel and there were a few smaller items inside.

There was a letter, a package with Christmas paper on it, another packet that looked like some photographs and a card, which looked like a Christmas card. He opened the letter.

Dear Mike

I am so very very sorry that I haven't written for ages but I have been so busy. The last time I wrote to you was after I went to see the Clash and so much has happened since then and not all of it good. I had to study hard for my exams, as mum wasn't impressed with my last year's grades. That turned out fine and I got good grades this time. Then we went camping during the holidays with Geoff and well.. something awful happened Mike. It's so difficult even for me to write down but Geoff had an awful accident whilst on our camping trip and drowned. We went out in a boat and he fell in. Nobody could save him and mum didn't realise that he couldn't swim. It was awful. Mum was devastated. We had the funeral and everything and afterwards when Mum looked through Geoff's things she found a ring. She thinks Geoff was going to ask her to marry him. Poor Mum and poor Geoff. It was so awful Mike I didn't know what to do to help mum. I didn't know who to turn to and I really felt like calling you up but didn't have your number. Please, the next time you write could you write down your number so that I can have it in case of an emergency.

Mum is a little better now but we're not looking forward to Christmas without Geoff. She wants to go away to a hotel somewhere so we are not at home. Geoff has left everything he owned to Mum and Mum has given me all the things of Geoff's to do with music. He has guitars and keyboards, loads of memorabilia from bands and musicians. You want to see it Mike, its awesome but it's sad at the same time, as it was Geoff's. I really grew to like him and we got on well towards the end. It's all been very sad here and I've had to be strong for mum though she is getting better and is now back at work but working too hard to take her mind off it.

How are you and how have you been? I know you sent me two letters since I last wrote and I feel bad that I haven't responded until now but I thought if anyone understands it would be you. I just hoped that you didn't think I'd just stop writing to you. I'd never do that Mike as I love getting your letters and telling you all about my life.

Are you still going out with Julie? You must send me a photograph of her, she sounded so pretty in those letters you sent me. I hope the band is still going strong and I love the name Sweet Children by the way. May be one day I'll get to go to a record store and ask for Sweet Children's new album. Who knows?

I've enclosed some various photographs for you to have a look at. I'm actually dating Will now but mum doesn't know as he is a little older than me and I don't think she would approve. Yes I'm glad to say that out of the other two guys I have kissed that Will is the better.

Please write back soon Mike and once again I apologise for not writing earlier. Don't forget your phone number!

Lots of love

Stella xxxxxxxxxxxx


"You OK?" said Billie looking over at his best friend.

Mike just handed the letter over to Billie for him to read. Oh my god Stella still wanted to write to him. He was so pleased he could burst but at the same time sad for Stella and her mum for what they must have been going through.

"Poor Stella and her mom" said Billie. "You must write back immediately and tell her that we are thinking of them," he said.

"Yes sir" said Mike

"No I mean it. I know what its like when someone has died. Its awful Mike" said Billie getting a little tearful. "Write her back and please remember to write your phone number on the letter this time and then if anything like this ever happens again she can put you out of your misery if you're wondering why she hasn't written to you in ages. What else you got in there?"

The Christmas card was opened and it was a Santa on a sleigh with silver music notes all round it.

"Aww, how sweet" said Billie.

"What's in the present, go on open it man. I can't wait until Christmas, let alone you."

It was a T-shirt.

"Thank god for that, we can now get you out of the Sex Pistols one that was once white but is now grey" laughed Billie.

It was a Clash tour T-shirt from the concert that Stella had been to. As Mike opened it a little piece of paper fell out.

Dear Mike. Take off the Sex Pistols t-shirt immediately and replace it with this. Love Stella

They both laughed.

"Is that more photographs" said Billie.

"Looks like it" said Mike

"Get them open" Billie said, "Let's have a look".

They spread out the photographs on the floor and checked them out.

"There's Jessie," said Billie. "Looking as hot as ever. Fucking hell if she lived round here I'd just have to have her."

"Billie!"

"You know what I mean" Billie said staring at the photograph.

"Awww there's Stella and her mom and who's this guy? Oh this must be Geoff. Actually he looks a really friendly guy. My god Stella looks gorgeous," said Billie. "Why can't we have two girls like that round here?"

"I've got Julie," said Mike

"Oh yeah, I forgot about her. In fact I don't think I've heard her speak. Is she a mouse?"

"Piss off" said Mike. "I like her."

"Yeah but she's not much fun is she. All she does is hang around and listen to us play"

"So?"

"So you need someone with a bit more life about them."

"Do I?"

"Yeah. Dump Julie and get someone else. Someone like Steph."

"Not her" said Mike rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, why not?"

"Because I've heard she quite likes you" said Mike but as soon as he'd said it he wished he hadn't.

"Does she?" said Billie whose eyes lit up suddenly.

"Well, yeah I think she does. I'm sure Julie mentioned it to me"

"Why didn't you tell me?" said Billie. "Do you think I could be in with a chance?"

"May be" said Mike.

"Fuck. I'm gonna ask her out" said Billie, eyes shining.

"Whatever but I bet you don't. Anyway her family's real rich. Her dad's a judge or something. Oh what the fuck, just ask her" said Mike.

"I will. Look" said Billie going back to the photographs. "This is a beautiful picture of Stella you should put it on your pin board."

It was a head and shoulders quite close up shot of Stella. She did look gorgeous thought Mike pinning it up on his pin board. Her eyes are so pretty he thought.

They spent the rest of the day strumming their guitars, listening to music and watching a couple of movies on TV. Mike checked his watch and it was way past midnight.

"I'm gonna call it a night" he said to Billie.

"Oh OK, goodnight then man" said Billie yawning. "Actually I think I'll go on up to bed too" he said. "See you in the morning and remember Mikey boy, write back to Stella as soon as."

"Will do." said Mike heading off upstairs.

In his bedroom Mike was just finishing the letter when he remembered to write his phone number down at the bottom.

As he sealed the envelope he glanced up at Stella's photograph on the pin board.

Good night Stella he thought to himself. I do hope you get to call me one day...