Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Jealous Mike

Dear Mike

Thank you for the guitar charm. It's so lovely. I'm getting quite a collection going now. I had a good Christmas thanks, but mum isn't too happy with me at the moment. I had all my hair cut off and dyed jet black and she's not pleased about it at all. But I love it and so does Will.

Thank you for your phone number. I wonder if I'll ever get to call you up. I do hope so. I was thinking of saving some money and surprising you one day. I'd like to hear your American accent.

Hey Mike I'm thinking of getting a nose stud done. What do you think? Will thinks it would look so cool with my new hairstyle. Jade says she can do it for me as she has done loads of other girls and they look wicked. Actually do you think I should get a stud or a ring? I'm not sure..

I have a confession to make. I have been skipping school. I know it doesn't sound like the sort of thing I'd do but its so boring lately. I hate it and I hate the teachers so much. Will and I spend the day at the park when we bunk off school or sometimes hang out at his house as his parents work. We smoke joints and watch TV all day and well.. You know kiss. I have let him go a little further than just kissing. It felt so right Mike.

Will doesn't know that I write to you. I don't think he would understand so I don't really talk about you to him. I hope you aren't offended but some people wouldn't understand would they?

Anyway what the hell is the Gilman? You mentioned it in your last letter? Please explain.

Oh and Jessie said that she is going to America in August to an Uncle's wedding in San Francisco and also a small trip to a hotel for three nights to somewhere called Berkeley. How far away are they from you? She has this notion that she could meet up with you and Billie. We've looked it up on the map. We found San Francisco, which looks like its miles away from where you live but we couldn't find this Berkeley place on our atlas at all. I told her she was being stupid thinking that she could meet up with you.

How was your gig? I wish I could have been there. Mike? Is there any way that you can record some of your music onto tape so that I could have a listen? It would be great if you could.

How did Billie Joe's date with Steph go? I hope he didn't get knocked back. It sounds like she's probably not his type but I can't understand why he would think Jessie is. Actually Jessie sounds a little like Steph.

Anyway I'm going now Mike as Will wants me to meet him at the park and then we are going to his.

Love from

Stella xxx


Will, Will, Will thought Mike, that's all she goes on about at the moment. What does she mean she let him go a little further? Oh Stella you haven't let him touch your tits have you thought Mike to himself. Please be careful. He looked over at the picture of Stella with her gorgeous long hair and tried to imagine it in a short black spiky style but he couldn't. She probably would look great whatever style she wore but Mike liked girls to look like girls, feminine and pretty. Like Julie. May be not as quiet and mousy as Julie but she was sweet.

There was a knock at the door; it was Billie's Mum.

"Hi sweetheart" she said to him. "Another letter from Stella?" she said.

"Yes said Mike. She's gone and had all her wonderful hair cut off," said Mike.

"Oh what a shame" said Billie's mum. "Have you a photograph of her with her new hair style"

"Actually no, she didn't send one. I'll ask her to send one though next time," said Mike.

"Listen Mike" said Billie's mum. "There's a job come up at the diner, nothing much, just clearing tables, sweeping up and some washing up. I thought of you before they advertised it. What do you think? I know you wanted to earn a little extra cash. How about it"?

"Please" said Mike. "When would I be working?" said Mike

"Well its most of Sundays and a couple of nights after school until 11"

"Sounds good"

"Yeah and I can change my shifts so that I can take you and bring you home again on those late nights" said Billie's Mum.

"I'd like that," said Mike. "Thanks for thinking of me" he said.

"You're welcome sweetheart" said Billie's mum. "Now how about I cook your favorite roast chicken for dinner" she said.

"Lovely" said Mike. "I'll come and give you a hand shortly," he said

Billie's mum loved Mike like one of her own. He was such a kind and considerate guy and was so glad that he was Billie's friend. They were practically joined at the hip. She wasn't sure about this Julie girl though she seemed so quiet and a little moody. She was surprised Mike went for someone like that. You have to watch the quiet ones she thought. Sometimes they could be trouble.

After dinner...

"For fuck's sake John, what's wrong with you tonight?" said Billie Joe getting impatient with their drummer.

"Sorry" he said sounding real miserable.

"What's the matter with you? Do you want to be a part of this band or not?" said Billie impatiently.

"Yeah I do," mumbled John.

"Well show a little enthusiasm will you," said Billie his voice getting angry.

Julie and Mike were watching the goings on.

"Shall we get out of the way?" whispered Mike to Julie "and let them let off steam for a bit. Shall we go to my room?" He said to her.

"OK" said Julie meekly.

Mike had never taken Julie to his room before.

He closed the door behind them and they sat on the bed and started to kiss. Then suddenly Julie pulled away.

"Who the fuck is that?" said Julie. Mike had never heard her swear before.

"What?" he said.

"Who the fuck is that I said"

Mike turned to see what Julie was looking at; it was his pin board with the picture of Stella on it.

"Oh that's Stella," said Mike.

"STELLA! Who the fuck's Stella," said Julie.

"She's my friend," said Mike, wondering why she was getting so uptight.

"FRIEND. What do you mean friend. Why would you have loads of pictures and stuff of your friend all over your pin board? I'm your girlfriend and you haven't got one picture of me up."

"I haven't got a picture of you to put up," said Mike.

"Well it looks like you don't need one of me when you've got HER on the wall"

"Calm down" said Mike

"Calm down. My boyfriend has pictures of another girl on the wall and you want me to calm down."

"Julie please" Said Mike trying to hug her

"Get off me. Don't touch me," she said. "I don't believe you've betrayed me."

"I haven't betrayed you, why are you overreacting?"

"I'm not overreacting, how would you like it if I had pictures of other boys on my wall?"

"Actually" said Mike "I don't think it would bother me at all. Stella is a friend from England that I've been writing to since I was ten."

"Well you go out with me now so you'll have to stop writing to her" said Julie.

"No way. What do you mean? I'm not stopping writing to Stella because you said so."

"Well it's over then Mike Dirnt. We don't go anywhere, you never take me out, and all we do is listen to your dumb band in the basement. Then you try and get me to your bedroom for god knows what and there's a picture of another girl on the wall. I've heard of people like you. You're only after one thing." She said tearfully.

"You're way overreacting," said Mike dumbfounded at her behavior.

"Well. Its over. Find yourself someone else who'd put up with other girl's photos on your wall and wants to hang about listening to you play crap music all day because I don't" and with that she stormed out of his bedroom and out of his life.

Mike was surprised how not bothered he was.

Going back to the basement it looked like Billie and John had made up. Until the next time thought Mike.

"Hey was that you and Julie arguing earlier?" said Billie.

"Yeah. We're over," said Mike.

"Oh really" said Billie not seeming bothered at all but secretly glad as he knew Julie wasn't the girl for Mike.

"Yep. I should have listened to you in the first place". He said making it obvious that that was all he was saying on the subject and picking up his bass. "Now come on. Where were we...."?

England...

Dear Stella

I can't believe you've had all your hair cut off. Please send a photograph immediately so that we can assess the situation. Billie can't wait to see you with black hair and he thinks that you should get a nose ring rather than a stud. Actually he wants one done now. I wish you hadn't mentioned it, it's the latest thing with him and he keeps going on about it but he'll probably do it himself when the time is right.

The Gilman is this cool place where live bands play. Mainly punk bands. We broke in, heard this awesome band but then got thrown out. Billie thinks we're going to play there one day. Another one of Billie's dreams.

John and he argue all the time but luckily when we play gigs they are ok its just at band practice. They drive me nuts with their arguing. We've had quite a few gigs, some at school and some at people's houses. I love it so much Stella.

I've also got a job. Not much just a little part time one at the diner where Billie Joe's mum works, but its extra cash that I can get together to buy music and overhaul my guitar and buy new strings and such so the money does come in very handy.

I can't believe that you have been missing school. Oh Stella please be careful. Are you sure this Will isn't a little bit of a bad influence. I'm not having a go at you but just sort of looking out for you, he is a little older. Please take care.

Guess what? We live quite near to Berkeley. It's a bus ride away so when your friend Jessie comes over it looks like we could definitely meet up with her. That would be so interesting. I haven't mentioned it to Billie. He hasn't still got up the courage to ask Steph out, but it's all he goes on about. It will be a nice surprise for him when I tell him about Jessie coming over. I wish it was you coming over to visit. Is there no way that you can come too? That would be so awesome.

It will be four years soon Stella. Four years that we have been writing. I can hardly believe it. Do you think we'd manage another four years do you think?

Anyway, I'd better go. I've got a shift at the diner.

Please take care Stella, you know what I mean.

Love
Mike x


Oh Mike I really do know what you mean and you are right. I have got myself into a right situation here. Will is pressurizing me to do things. He is 16 now and its obvious he wants to have sex and I don't want to. I'm not quite 14. 14 soon though, but I'm still not ready to take things further. He gets me to bunk off school with him when I don't really want to. I have to get out of this situation somehow.

The next day...

"Ow. That hurt" I said as Jade pierced my nose. I didn't think it would hurt that much.

"Well how long did you hold the ice cubes on it for?" said Jade

"Ages" I said.

"Well its done now. There you go, one nose piercing."

I had a look in the mirror. It was red and inflamed but the diamond stud that she'd put in looked good. I did like it. A lot. I thought about Billie Joe then and wondered if he had already had his done.

"Thanks Jade, I love it." I said still admiring myself in the mirror.

"What's that?" said Jade suddenly.

"What?" I asked looking at what she was looking at.

"That big scrapbook with pictures coming out of it. Is that some band you're into?" she said snatching up the photograph of Mike, Billie and John playing as Sweet Children.

"Yeah, they're called Sweet Children" I said.

"Never heard of them." Said Jade.

"No you wouldn't have done. They're not famous they're a small Californian punk band. A guy I write to, Mike in California, its his band."

"You write to a guy?" said Jade

"Yeah. Mike. We've been writing to each other since we were both ten."

"Does Will know?"
.
"No". I suddenly felt guilty.

"He doesn't know? Why haven't you told him?"

"The subject never came up. Mike's just a pen pal."

"Oh right." said Jade.

As Jade left Stella's house she thought she must make a point of telling Will about this Mike guy. Jade had liked Mike for ages and couldn't understand what he saw in the stupid childish Stella who was so doe-eyed over him it was untrue. This could be the ideal opportunity to split them up.