Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

The phone call

Dear Mike

Thank you for being so concerned. You were right to be concerned. Will and I have now split up and I'm glad really. Jade had a hand in it. She told him all about you and he was cross with me and dumped me but it pleased me really as I was getting way out of my depth if you know what I mean. It's over and I've realised he was a bad influence. I have a lot of studying to catch up on. I've been grounded for a couple of months to catch up. The school called mum in for a meeting and she's not too pleased with me. I'm a bit ashamed as she's been through a lot lately and I feel a bit selfish.

Enclosed is the photograph when I had my hair short and spiky and black. I've grown it out a little since then so it's more shoulder length now. I've kept the nose ring though. I love it. Mum hates it but it is a compromise. I'm not allowed to wear it to school but when I get home I put it in so the hole doesn't close over. It's still sore though. Did Billie get his done? If so, does his get sore?

The Gilman sounds so cool. I wish we had somewhere like that round here. There's nothing here to go to. Life is boring around here. I wish I lived in sunny California near to you and could listen to your band and visit the Gilman.

Jessie is so excited about coming to America and no; there is no way that I can get over with her. It's a family event and anyway, mum can't afford it.

It's my birthday in two weeks and my dad wants to see me apparently. I haven't seen him in years. He has a new family now and they've moved away. I'm not looking forward to seeing him at all. Mum is a bit better and has started dating again but boy does she have a weird set of guys coming round. I wish she could find someone kind and good to her she deserves some happiness.

I've given up my keyboard lessons. I know you wont understand as you love music but I have finally realised that I love music to listen to but am no good at playing it, especially when you hear of guys like you that make up bands and are real passionate about it. I have no passion like that but listening to it is awesome. I've decided I want to be a photographer when I'm older and mum is buying me a camera for my birthday. When you are a rich and famous band I may even take some shots of you. Shall we make it a deal?

I wish Billie would hurry up and date Steph. I want to hear all about it.

I'm taking fatso out for her long awaited walk. She is so old she can't walk far and she tires. Poor fatso.

Lots of love

From

Stella.


"Fucking cool" said Billie. "I'm loving that hair. She looks pretty hot."

Mike wasn't so sure. "I think I prefer the old Stella with the long hair," said Mike

"Oh Mike. How good does she look now? Like a real punk girl."

"Yeah I suppose," said Mike. "The nose ring looks fucking great though, look Billie."

"Yeah. I must get mine done" he said.

"When? This millennium" said Mike laughing.

"Fuck off" said Billie. "I'll get it done when I'm good and ready," he said.

"Stella's right. When are you going to ask Steph out?"

"I've done it"

"WHAT?"

"Yeah. I did it this afternoon."

"We're going to the diner tomorrow after school"

"REALLY? That's a shame. I'm not working that night"

"No. That's why were going then. I wouldn't take her when you're there now would I?" laughed Billie.

"Hey Billie" said Mike thoughtfully.

"What?"

"We're going to be 14 soon."

"I know, great isn't it?"

"We're men now." Said Mike.

"Yep. All we need is women," Said Billie laughing. "I'm gonna get one tomorrow. How about you Mikey? You gonna get a woman soon?"

"May be" said Mike. But the only one he could think about at that moment in time was Stella.

May 12th 1986
England...

"Its Mike's birthday today" said Stella to Jessie "and I'm going to call him up," she said

"WHAT? You're kidding" said Jess

"Yep. I've agreed it with Mum and I'm giving her money towards the phone bill. She checked it out with the phone company and I can have about 5 minutes to talk to Mike. Its so expensive though Jess. 5 minutes will have to be enough. I can't wait to hear his voice."

"Oh please let me be here when you call. I want to hear him too and may be Billie Joe will be there." Said Jessie.

"OK. I've got to work out what's the best time to call. I think they're about 8 hours behind" said Stella.

"OK. It's a Saturday so he won't be working. How about we call at about 7:30 this evening? It'll be about 11:30am over there." Jess said.

"Yeah. Lets do it then" said Stella excitedly.

The day dragged by for Stella all she kept thinking of was speaking to Mike.

Jess came round at 7 O'clock and they played music for half an hour then Jess said. "Come on Stella, its 7:30, lets go do it."

They went down to the phone in the hall and picked up the phone. Stella gave Jess Mike's letter with the number on the bottom.

"You call it out Jess, its quite a long number, I don't want to get it wrong" said Stella.

Jess slowly called out the numbers while Stella dialled. The line clicked. Stella's heart was beating fast and she was shaking slightly.

"It's ringing!" said Stella. It seemed to ring for ages then a woman answered with an American accent.

"Hello?" said the accent

"Hello" said Stella

"Hello?" said the woman. "I think its Billie's mum," said Stella to Jessie

"Hello is that Billie's Mum?" said Stella.

"I can't hear you, it's a bad line. Hello?" said Billie's Mum

"Hello" Stella spoke louder. "Is that Billie's mum?"

"Yes it is. Who is this?" she said

"Its Stella"

"Who?"

"Stella". Stella was getting impatient, nearly a minute had gone by and she hadn't even got to Mike yet.

"Stella who?" said Billie's mum.

"Stella from England"

"Where?"

"England"

"Oh my god. Stella from England. Mike's Stella"

"Yes" said Stella.

"Oh Stella. How are you dear? How wonderful to hear from you, we hear so much about you from Mike and your photographs are beautiful"

"Thank you" said Stella thinking but its not you I want to speak to.

"Billie? Stella is on the phone," said his mum

Stella could hear Billie shouting "Who?" in the background. My god this was frustrating

"Mike's Stella" said Billie's Mum

"Oh my god" said Billie. "Here mom, let me speak to her"

"Jessie, Billie's coming on the line," said Stella to Jessie. Jessie blushed.

"Oh my god" Jess said her heart pounding.

"Stella? Is this really you?" said this cute sounding American boy

"Yes its me alright" said Stella

"How are you?" he said. "My god its amazing listening to you. What a great accent"

"I'm good thank you. I wanted to surprise Mike on his birthday" said Stella.

"Oh Stella. Mike isn't here. He's spending the day with his mom" said the cute accent

"Oh no" said Stella, she felt like crying. Time was running out. She only had about 1 ½ minutes left.

"I'm so sorry. He's gonna be pissed off to have missed you" said Billie. "How's Jessie?"

"Jessie's fine. She's right here. You may as well speak to her," Stella said handing the phone to Jess.

"Hi Billie" said Jess all girly. Her face was flushed and her eyes sparkled. Stella could do nothing but listen to the conversation.

"I'm well. I hear you live near Berkeley"

"Well did Mike not tell you I'm coming out there in August?"

"He didn't? I don't believe it. Yeah I'm coming out and suggested we meet up. Yeah great. I'd like that. I'm there for three days. Good. I'll tell Stella to write to Mike with the details so we can meet up."

Stella was pointing at her watch indicating that time was up.

"Look Billie I'm going to have to go. Yes. See you in August. Bye Billie, bye."

She replaced the phone and looked at Stella.

"My god. He sounded so fucking sexy Stella. Did you hear his voice? My god I'm shaking here." Her eyes sparkled and she looked so happy thought Stella. Would I have been like that if I'd spoken to Mike?

Fuck it. I've wasted my money and I didn't even get to speak to Mike. Will I ever get to speak to him?

California...

Billie was at the front door when Mike got back from his moms.

"Fucking hell, get in here," said Billie.

"What's wrong?" said Mike

"Nothing man. You've just missed Stella on the phone"

"WHAT? No way" said Mike.

"Yeah man. She sounded so sweet and her English accent, awww and I got to speak to Jessie. She sounds as hot as she looks. She's coming out man, in August and you knew. Why didn't you tell me? She's coming to Berkeley. We can meet up. I can't wait," said Billie.

"OK. Slow down" said Mike. "How come Stella rang anyway, is she OK?"

"She's fine Mikey, she rang you as a surprise. To wish you happy birthday man" said Billie "and you weren't even here."

"Poor Stella." Said Mike. " She must have spent loads of money on that call."

"Yeah." Said Billie.

Mike look downcast.

"Don't look sad man" said Billie. "She seemed fine about it. You'll get to talk to her one day, you'll see," said Billie.

"Yeah, but when will that be?" thought Mike.