Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Lucky Jess

A few months later, August 1986

California...

Dear Mike

Just a little note to tell you that Stella has your phone number and will call you as soon as she is in Berkeley. I hope you all have a wonderful time together. Please think of me when you are all together.

Love from

Stella xx


California... One week later..

The phone was ringing but nobody seemed to pick up.

"Why isn't anyone getting the phone?" shouted Billie getting himself all worked up.

The phone stopped ringing.

"Shit that could have been Jessie," said Billie.

"Well you should have picked up then," said his Mom laughing at him.

It immediately rang again and Billie snatched it up before it rang off.

"Hi" said Billie

"Hello" said an English accent that Billie recognised.

"JESS!" said Billie

"Yes. I'm here. I'm here in Berkeley. I love it Billie. I love it so much"

"Woah slow down" said Billie laughing at her enthusiasm. "Where are you now exactly?" he said

"We're at this little motel place down on the bay somewhere. Mitchell's Motel it's called"

"Oh I know it. Do you want to meet up today? Mike and I have kept these dates free just so that we can get together with you"

"Yeah of course I want to meet up with you both. My cousin is with me. She's a little older than us so she's sort of looking after me otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to meet up with you guys. She's from San Francisco but has been to Berkeley before loads of times"

"Does she know Bob's diner?"

"Rachel do you know Bob's diner?" Jess called over to her cousin. Rachel nodded.

"She does"

"Great. Then we'll be there in about an hour. Get the milkshakes in," said Billie laughing.

"Oh and what flavour do you like? Let me guess. Chocolate?" said Jess.

"Yeah chocolate. Mikey and I lurve Chocolate" said Billie.

"Chocolate it is. See you in an hour then" said Jessie.

"Can't wait" whispered Billie into the phone. Jessie tingled with excitement.

On the bus journey Mike and Billie spoke about Steph.

"She's a fucking bitch," said Billie to Mike. "She led me on. She thought I was cool because I play in a band but she hates our music and she said I wasn't tall enough or good looking enough. She's now going out with that tall blond ass from the football team. He's welcome to her. Bitch"

"Ok Billie" said Mike "Calm down. All this happened ages ago"

"Yeah well I'm just saying. I just thought I saw her when we were getting on the bus" said Billie.

Mike knew that Billie was a little cut up over Steph but he didn't like to admit it. Lets hope that meeting up with Jessie would finally get Steph out of his system.

When they got to the door of the diner Billie stopped dead in his tracks.

"Mike?" said Billie

"Yeah man," said Mike

"I'm fucking crapping myself here" he said

"WHAT?" said Mike. "You? Nervous?""
"Yeah. I've never met an English person before. Aren't they all prim and proper?"

"Fuck off. They're just like us" said Mike. "Now get in the door" and he pushed him through the doorway.

Jessie saw him straight away. Her stomach lurched. He looked much better than his pictures. He had this cheeky sort of face but also a 'don't mess with me' kind of face with an 'I'd do anything for you' type of look all rolled into one. She liked him straightaway.

They came over to the table and she stood up to greet them.

"Hi Billie" said Jessie. She kissed his cheek.

"Jess!" said Billie. She loved the way he spoke her name. She loved that he called her Jess.

"Jess this is Mike" said Billie.

"Hey Mike. So good to meet you at last" said Jessie "this is my cousin Rachel."

They all exchanged hellos then the waitress came over and they ordered milkshakes, all chocolate.

"Lets drink to Stella," said Jessie. "I wish we could call her up. She is so disappointed that I'm here with you both and she's not."

"I know," said Mike. "I could tell in her letters. She says her hair has grown back now."

"Yes thank goodness," said Jess. "It was that Will's influence. I hated the guy. She deserves someone much better than him" said Jess.

They finished their milkshakes and decided to go for a walk around the bay.

Mike and Rachel got chatting about music and started walking ahead of them. They were laughing and joking and got on well but everyone knew that there was nothing in it.

"I can't believe you are here walking beside me," said Billie to Jessie looking at her. She was even more gorgeous in the flesh he thought.

"I can't believe I'm here either," said Jessie. "I so love it here in California. When I'm older I'm going to travel the world and come here first. Stella said she'd come with me"

"I'd love to meet Stella," said Billie.

"Oh she's so lovely and she's such a good friend. You'd love her"

"So would Mike" said Billie.

"Mike's great isn't he?" said Stella. "He's so kind and thoughtful. Stella lets me read some of Mike's letters you know."

"I've read some of Stella's letters too" said Billie. "But sometimes he won't let me near them. He's very protective of Stella even though he hasn't met her. Yeah he's the best friend anybody could have"

"No. Stella is" said Jessie and they laughed. Billie suddenly had the urge to kiss her but was too embarrassed. He was determined to get a kiss out of her before she flew off back home to England though.

"Billie?" Said Jessie

"Yep" said Billie turning to look into her blue eyes.

"Do you think before we go I could hear Sweet Children play?" she said.

"I don't see why not," said Billie. He actually felt proud that she wanted to hear him. He knew that they had heard their tape and loved them. A couple more fans to add to our collection though Billie.

"But you'd have to come over to our place. All the instruments are in the basement and when we play little gigs we have to get someone with a van to help us transport. Yeah it would have to be in our basement. How about you get the bus over to us tomorrow? Actually if your parents don't mind you could sleep over then you haven't got to worry about getting a late bus back. It would probably be safer if you stayed over rather than getting a late bus back and then we could get you back to Berkeley the next day."

"Oh Billie I'd love that. I'll check with our parents when we get back to the Motel and then I'll give you a call"

"Yeah. You've got my phone number, call me." Said Billie hoping that her parents will agree.

They all said goodbye at the bus station and Billie and Mike waved at them and made faces at the back of the bus before they lost sight.

"Such nice guys" said Rachel. "I'll let our parents know what they're like. I'm sure they'll let us come and stay tomorrow night. As Billie said it would be safer if we stayed over."

Jessie prayed they'd say yes. She so desperately wanted to stay at Billie's and hear the band play so she could tell Stella all about it.

Later...

Billie replaced the receiver in the hallway.

"Mike. They're definitely coming tomorrow," said Billie.

"Cool" said Mike strumming on his bass. Would I be so enthusiastic if it were Stella? I suppose I would.

"What time?" said Mike trying to show an interest.

"10am. I'm gonna call up John and get him over then we can do a mini gig."

"Sounds good. We could do with the practice anyway," said Mike.

The next day...

The doorbell went but Billie was on the case as soon as it rang. He'd been looking out the living room window for ages pacing up and down, waiting for Jess. He wanted to see her again. He tried to act cool when Mike came in the room but he was itching to see her. He'd never felt like that before about anyone, even the bitch Steph.

"Hi" said the girls in unison. They'd brought overnight bags with them and Jess had bought some gifts. She'd brought some chocolate from England and a present for Mike from Stella. It was a tiny box, all wrapped up. Mike went off to his room with it.

"Come in" said Billie.

"Mom this is Jess" he shouted out to his Mom who soon came out from the kitchen drying her hands on a towel.

"Hello Mrs Armstrong" Jessie said to Billie's Mom.

"I'm so glad to meet you at last," said Billie's mom. "I can't believe it. It's a shame that Stella couldn't be here. But its as good as having her here isn't it Billie."

"It sure is" said Billie. He hadn't taken his eyes off of Jess since she'd arrived. Rachel noticed it.

"Let me show you to your room" said Billie.

Mike's room...

Mike opened the little box and inside was about 10 plectrums. Some of them had signatures on them. They were smart ones and looked quite expensive. There was a small note at the bottom.

Dear Mike

I found these amongst Geoff's things just before Jessie left for her holiday and knew who would want them. They are plectrums all signed by the members of The Who. I hope you enjoy using them.

Don't ever stop playing that bass Mike Dirnt.

Stella x


Oh Stella. I wish you could be here, thought Mike. What a wonderful gift. You are always thinking of me. Do you think of me as much as I think of you?

***

Billie took the girls up into an attic style bedroom. It was decorated plain white with two little beds with quite quilts with pink flowers on them. Quite plain but cosy.

"How lovely" said Jessie "this is so much bigger than my room at home."

Billie liked listening to her speak and decided he could listen to her voice all night. He was so glad she was staying.

"I'll get us some drinks and something to eat. See you downstairs in a while" said Billie bounding out of the room.

"Billie likes you," said Rachel. "It's so obvious."

"I know. I like him." Said jess.

"How much?" said Rachel. "Would you kiss him?"

"Oh Rach. Yeah I probably would." Said Jessie. Yeah. She would kiss Billie. She definitely wanted to kiss Billie. Would she get the opportunity?

"Anything else?" said Rachel.

"Don't be silly." Jess blushed.

"Be careful." Said Rachel.

"Don't be stupid. We are in Billie's mom's house. Nothing like that is going to happen." Said Jessie quite shocked for her cousin to suggest anything more than having a kiss with Billie.

"No. Sorry. I'm being protective. I'm just thinking if they get alcohol out and stuff we should be careful." She said.

"Oh I'm sure they'll take care of us just fine," said Jessie.

"Yeah. I'm being stupid. It's just me. I'm a little older and wiser than you." Rachel replied.

"Well - older maybe" said Jess laughing and hurling a pillow at her.

A small pillow fight began and before they knew it Billie was back up in the room having come to see where they had got to and he was joining in. Then Mike was there too and they were bashing each other with pillows and feathers were just about flying everywhere. They fell on the bed laughing and Jessie's long silky hair brushed against Billie's arm. He shivered. Oh my god, he thought. This is going to be wonderful having you in the house all night.

Mike went away and got the vacuum cleaner with Rachel and Billie and Jessie lay there giggling.

Jessie leant over and picked some feathers out of Billie's wavy dark hair but as she got closer Billie grabbed gently at her wrist and kissed the inside of it so gently she could hardly feel it but she could certainly feel certain stirrings that she had never felt before. The next thing his soft lips were on hers and she lay back on the bed and let him kiss her real gently.

They could hear Mike coming back and Billie pulled away and they sat up all innocently.

They all quickly vacuumed up the feathers and tidied the room and nobody would ever have known what had just happened there.

Downstairs Billie's mum had baked some cookies and there was home made lemonade on the table.

"I've never had homemade lemonade before," said Jessie.

"Well if you've never had my mom's home made lemonade then you've never lived," said Billie pouring out a glass and handing it to Jessie.

Mike was getting a bit twitchy. It was obvious what Billie felt for Jessie. He was slightly jealous. Jessie was lovely but she wasn't Stella. She saw the way she looked at Billie and Mike thought he'd give anything right now to have Stella in the room looking at him in that way. What an impossible situation.

There was a knock at the door.

"That must be John," said Mike. "I'll get it."

John was introduced and they all headed down to the basement with the lemonade. Jessie was so excited. She was about to hear Sweet Children play live for the first time. Her spine tingled with excitement.