Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Jessie's Song

January 1988

Dear Stella

I'm sorry for not writing before but you're not going to believe it. We now play at the Gilman once, sometimes twice a week. We get paid and we've now got a few fans that follow us about. Someone wanted my autograph the other day. I didn't know what to write so I just wrote down Mike Dirnt as that seemed like a good a name as any. Billie takes the piss now and says that's my stage name.

I hope you are well and that Jessie is too. I hate to say it but Billie doesn't speak of her at all but I have this feeling that she is still on his mind as he has so much energy and I can tell by the songs he writes. He is not interested in meeting any girls. He doesn't go on dates or anything. Everything is about music with him. Sometimes he gets aggressive and his songs are songs about being alone. They have got more like this since Jess has gone. Sometimes he says he feels like he is going a little mad inside. He says he gets frustrated. I said he needs to be with a girl if you know what I mean but he says he's fine as he is and sorts himself out in that department!! I'm quite sure it's because of Jessie; he doesn't seem to want anyone else.

There is no one in my life either. I had one date with a girl and had a kiss but it fizzled out as I'm so busy with the band and working at the diner and also going to school, anyway I can sort myself out too!

Billie hardly attends school anymore. He says he doesn't give a crap about school. He'd rather put his energies into the band and the writing. His mom has discussed it with his teachers and they said once he gets to 16 he could leave and do what he wants which won't be much longer now anyway, about six weeks and he'll be gone from school. He is such a strong character his mom can't persuade him to stay on. I shall stay on though.

I am so sorry that I haven't written for ages and I hope that Jessie is doing OK? Let me know how she is. Something tells me that they Billie and Jess will get together one day.

Love from Mike x


"Jess" said Stella into the phone.

"Yeah. You've heard from him haven't you? I can tell by your voice," said Jess.

"Yes. You can come and read his letter if you like" said Stella.

"No. Its OK." Said Jess. "I don't think I should always read your letters. You have your time with Mike" she said.

"OK. Do you want to come over and may be we could go to the movies later?" said Stella.

"Why not?" said Jess. "I could do with getting out of here. God I hate living here after being in California. The sky is blue and it's always sunny," she said. "England sucks. Its always pissing with rain and grey"

"Oh come on Jess its not that bad," said Stella.

"It fucking is. It is when you want to be somewhere else"

"With someone else" said Stella.

"Yeah."

"Yeah may be it does suck," said Stella thinking of Mike. "Right come round to mine soon and I'll check what movies are on" she said.

"Yeah see you in about half an hour" said Jess.

"OK" said Stella, hanging up.

California...

Dear Mike

How lucky are you getting a regular slot at the Gilman? You must be so talented. I'm proud of you for that Mike. We still play your Sweet Children tape nearly all the time.

Jessie is a little better and we are still planning on coming out when we are 17. God it seems ages away. Once I've finished my photography course and Jess her hairdressing course we're booking flights. We have saved up quite a lot of money. I think we could afford flights now if we wanted to. So we're going to keep on saving so we can spend more time with you.

I haven't met any boys either. I really can't be bothered with any of them around here. They are so childish and all they do is play football. I so wish we lived in California. Jess says it's sunny all the time and that the sky is bright blue. I can't wait to be out there soon.

I can't believe you told me what you and Billie get up to in the privacy of your own bedroom. It's not something I have mentioned to Jess. I really can't believe some of the things we tell each other, things I couldn't imagine telling anyone or discussing with anyone. Actually sometimes I sort myself out too but don't you go telling anyone. Anyway, enough of that talk I feel.

Mike, I shall be 16 in a couple of months. I really can't believe it. Jess is sixteen in one month. Trust her to be the oldest of all of us.

Its such a shame that Billie will be giving up school as soon as he can but if he feels that strongly about the band then that's up to him I suppose.

Jess still won't show me the song that Billie has written for her. Have you any idea about this song? Has Billie mentioned it at all?

Let me know something.

Lots of Love

Stellax

p.s. You are now free to go and 'sort yourself out!'


Yes Mike did have an idea what song it was that Billie had written. He knew as soon as he saw the song in Billie's book it was Jessie's song. It was so obvious. It was a wonderful and beautiful song just for Jessie. Mike also knew that if they ever got to make an album that it would be on it.

"Mike?" said Billie

"Yeah"

"How are they?" he said

"They're fine," said Mike

"Good. That's good," said Billie strumming on blue.

"They're still talking about coming out here."

"Good" said Billie not looking up.

"Yeah. Do you know it won't be that long until they're here? About 18 months" said Mike.

"Great said Billie. Anyway, fancy a joint?" he said changing the subject. It hurt him to talk of Jess and he didn't want Mike to see him upset.

"Yeah"

"I'm feeling shit today, lets make it a day of the green stuff shall we?" said Billie as he'd not stopped thinking about Jess all day.

"Why not. A day of the green stuff, a green day" said Mike.

"Say that again," said Billie.

"Green stuff. Green day. What about it?" said Mike

"I like that"

"Like what?" said Mike lighting up.

"Green Day" said Billie. "How would you feel about changing our band name"?

"Why"

"Well Green Day sounds much better don't you think than Sweet Children?"

"I suppose it does," said Mike. "Yeah I like that. Green Day. It seems to have a good feel about it"

"A very good feel" said Billie. "We're now going to be officially known as Green Day," said Billie.

"Better get on the phone and tell John" said Mike.

"Nah" said Billie. "He'll find out soon enough"

England, March 10th 1988

Dear Stella

Happy 16th Birthday to you. I can't believe you are 16 and that we have been writing to each other for 6 years, we still haven't spoken on the phone or seen one another. Oh my god Stella, will it ever happen?

Guess what? We have now changed our name. We are no longer Sweet Children but are calling ourselves Green Day. The slots at the Gilman are still going great and someone mentioned to us the other day that we should get a recording of our stuff done. I can't believe it but Billie, well Billie can of course.

I am so happy at the moment and I think Billie is too although yeah he does think of Jess, I know it. I saw a small photograph of her sticking out of his bedside drawer. He doesn't tell me anything at all about how he feels about her. I wish he'd just open up to me. We don't have that many secrets.

It's going to be just over another year and we can meet up. I just can't wait to meet you Stella. I think it's about time don't you.

Lots of Love

Mike xx

P.s. enclosed is a little gift for you. Happy birthday again.


Stella opens up the present that was enclosed in the parcel. It is another charm for her bracelet. This time it is a silver heart. It's just so beautiful and Stella immediately places it onto her bracelet.

There is a knock at the door and its Jessie.

Stella looks up to see her friend entering the bedroom. She still hasn't gained much weight since the experience and looks pale. She is just as beautiful as ever but has lost a little spark. So many guys have asked her out but she is just not interested. She is totally and utterly in love with Billie.

"Wow that's gorgeous," said Jessie coming over to take a look.

"I know. I have quite a collection now," said Stella showing off her bracelet.

"He's so kind isn't he?" said Jess.

"Yep. You know I've been thinking we really should decide on a date when we can get out to California."

"Oh god Stell lets. Let's decide on a date. It'll make it all seem as though it's really going to happen then."

We checked out the dates in a diary and decided that we would travel out on May 3rd, 1989 a day before Mike's birthday.

"Oh my god Jess, next year I can spend Mike's birthday with him." Stella said excitedly her eyes shining.

The girls hugged each other then gathered their things together to go shopping with some of Stella's birthday money. They were going to make a day of it.

Stella's mother watched them leave the house, two beautiful 16-year-old girls with their whole lives ahead of them. How lucky they were she thought.

Just then the phone rang.

"Hello" said Stella's Mum into the phone.

"Hi" came a voice at the other end.

"Er. Hello?" Stella's mum said.

"Mrs. Williams? Hi it's Mike. Mike from California" he said

"Oh my god Mike. How lovely to hear your voice. But sweetheart I'm sorry to have to tell you that Stella isn't here and she's going to be out for the rest of the day," she said.

"Oh right" said Mike disappointment evident in his voice. "How is Stella? I thought I would surprise her on her birthday. I didn't think I would miss her"

"She's very well thank you Mike. Her and Jess have gone shopping to spend some birthday money. She loved your gift by the way, you're very thoughtful"

"Oh thank you Mrs Williams. Please tell Stella I called won't you," said Mike pissed off that he couldn't get to talk to her.

"Of course I will. You take care now," she said

"And you." said Mike. "Bye".

What a lovely young man thought Stella's mum. I do hope they get to meet one day.

California..

"What's up dude?" said Billie.

"She fucking wasn't in," said Mike.

"Oh piss," said Billie. "Why not give her a call later" said Billie coming over to sit next to him.

"Yeah. May be" said Mike. "But its expensive you know" he said. "I'll have to think about it... "