Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

A date is set

England...

Stella was lying in bed writing on a notepad. She was doodling silly little pictures then she started signing her name. Stella Williams. Stella. Stella Pritchard. Stella Dirnt. Stop it she thought. What am I thinking? Why am I signing my name as though I am going to marry Mike? Stupid.

She flung down the pad and pen and lay down to sleep but she couldn't, disappointed that she had missed Mike's call by minutes. She'd hoped that when she'd got home that he'd call again but he hadn't. She checked her watch, 11:30 at night. What time would that be in California? She counted back, 3:30 in the afternoon. He probably wouldn't ring now; the earlier call would have cost him enough.

Just then the phone rang. Its got to be him, thought Stella. Oh my god it's got to be Mike. Please let it be Mike she thought opening the bedroom door and getting to the phone before her mother. Stella stopped dead in her tracks. Her stomach had butterflies. The phone continued to ring.

"Well answer it then," said her Mother impatiently. "It's got to be Mike Stella, just answer it will you," she said, "before he rings off."

Stella snatched up the phone. Her hands were shaking.

"Hello?" she said into the phone.

There was laughing at the other end.

"Who is this?" said Stella frowning.

"Guess," said the American accent still laughing.

"Mike?" said Stella. "Is this really you, I thought it was a crank call for a moment" she said.

"Well I can be a crank if you want," said Mike still laughing. "My god Stella this is happening, I'm speaking to you."

"I can't believe it," said Stella. "I didn't think you'd call back"

"Well I had a good long think but then I thought what the hell, I needed to finally hear your voice."

"Wow. Your voice is deeper than I thought it would be," said Stella.

"Is it?" said Mike now putting on a squeaky high-pitched voice.

Stella started laughing.

"Did you have a good day out shopping?" said Mike.

"I did. I didn't buy much really. Oh and Mike thank you for the charm, its beautiful, its my favourite one so far"

"I'm glad you like it. Listen Stella; you know we can't talk for long but are you really coming out next year. Billie and I often talk about it you know."

"Yes. Its definite," said Stella. "We've decided on a date today, 3rd May next year."

"Cool. That means that you can spend my birthday with me. My god we'll all be 17 then," said Mike. "I'm going to arrange a party. Yeah. We can party."

"I'd love that. Do you know we've saved up enough for our flights? We're now saving for spending money. We're planning on staying for a whole month. What do you think?" said Stella.

"I think that's fucking awesome," said Mike.

"Mike!" said Stella.

"Sorry," said Mike.

"No, actually I liked hearing you say fucking in your American accent," said Stella.

"Stella!" said Stella's mum who had just emerged from the Kitchen.

"Sorry Mum," said Stella.

Mike was laughing again but Stella's mum had a little smile on her face listening to her daughter and watching the sparkle in her eyes while she spoke to Mike.

"Hey, I'm going to have to go," said Mike.

"Oh that was quick," said Stella disappointed.

"I know. I could stay chatting all afternoon," he said.

"So could I," said Stella.

"You take care now and write me soon," said Mike.

"I will Mike. Thanks for the call."

"Bye Stella."

"Bye Mike," and they both reluctantly hung up.

California...

"So you got through this time," said Billie.

"Yeah and she sounded so sweet and lovely I can't wait until next year. She gave me a date when they're coming out. 3rd May Billie, they're coming out on the 3rd May next year, the day before my 17th. How do you feel about a party?" said Mike.

"Too fucking right," said Billie. He longed to ask after Jess but thought he'd best not. He would have loved to have just picked up the phone and called her and to hear her sweet voice too but it would have killed him. He knew what he was doing was for the best. He was going to see her again anyway. Just over a year and she would be back in his arms again where she belonged.

The next day
England...

"You're kidding?" said Jess walking into Stella's bedroom and hearing the news.

"No I spoke to him, oh my god what a wonderful voice he has Jess," said Stella. "It was deeper than I thought it would be," she said.

"Yeah he has got quite a deep voice," said Jess remembering when she'd met Mike. "He's real funny, did he make you laugh?"

"He did. He just has this cheeky way about him," she said all dreamily.

"Did you tell him our plans?" said Jess lying back on Stella's bed.

"Yeah. I told him we'd be out on 3rd May next year," she said. "He said as it's the day before his 17th birthday he was going to plan a party."

"Wicked," said Jess thinking about being at a party and dancing with Billie.

"You OK Jess?" said Stella.

"Yeah. Just thinking you know," she said looking at her best friend. "I have this weird dream sometimes where I don't belong anywhere. Its like I'm some angel type person floating around and looking down on everyone and I can't quite reach them. I'm looking down on you and your mum at home and then the next minute I'm looking down on Billie and Mike in their home and then they're playing at the place they call the Gilman. Another time they were playing to a huge audience with masses of people and they were on TV and stuff. Real weird"

"Dreams are weird," said Stella. "Sometimes I wish I could have a dream of me and Mike together but it never happens. I go to sleep every night wishing it but I wake up and I've never had it."

"Yeah. Weird," said Jess. "Anyway, we're going to have to book flights soon. We'll have to look out for some good deals. My Uncle said we could stay with them if we needed to when we're out there. We can get together with Rachel again, you'll love her," said Jess.

"Oh Jess I'm so excited today, its all going to finally happen," said Stella.

After playing the Sweet Children tape Stella was desperate to ask Jess a question.

"What is it Stella, you keep looking over as if you want to say something. Are you sure you're OK?"

"Yeah. Its just I wanted to ask something but not sure its appropriate and not sure if it will upset you or not," said Stella putting the tape away.

Jess sat up. "Would it be about the baby?" she said.

Stella was shocked that she'd talk about it so openly.

"Actually yeah"

"Its OK" said Stella. "Please bring it up sometimes. I know it doesn't seem like the right thing to do but it's hard for me to forget and I don't want you to forget either. What did you want to ask me?" she said.

"Do you think you'll ever tell Billie?" she said.

"Yeah of course. I'm going to tell him when we meet," said Jess.

"Really? I'm surprised," said Stella.

"But why? Its so hard for me to explain to you Stella but.. Billie and me, its so the real thing. I don't tell anyone because they probably think I'm stupid and we were only together for a short time but... Stella this is real and something tells me that Billie feels the same way; of course I'm going to tell him about the baby. He needs to know. If we're going to spend the rest of our lives together then he needs to know" she said.

"You really do love him don't you?" said Stella.

"Yeah Stella I do. I want to have his children one day. I'm itching to see him it hurts so much but I know we're going to be together and that's what keeps me going. I can't wait until May 3rd next year," she said.

"Neither can I," said Stella but she was slightly worried about her friend. She was determined that it was the real thing between her and Billie. I just hope for Jessie's sake that Billie feels the same way...