Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Beautiful butterfly

Jess looks a mess Stella thinks getting some tissues out of her bag and handing them to her. She's been staring out that window for ages now.

"I don't think I'm going to see him again," said Jess.

"Oh don't be stupid." said Stella. What on earth was she going on about?

"I didn't want to leave him but everyone made me," she said.

"No one made you Jess." said Stella.

"Everyone said it was for the best, well not for me I want to be with Billie."

"You'll be back together soon," said Stella but Jessie didn't answer.

**
The flight was long and tiring. The girls slept and when Stella woke she suddenly remembered the gift that Tre had bought her. She bent to her bag and got out the small package wrapped in gold tissue paper. She opened it and inside was another charm for her bracelet. It was a small silver butterfly and the wings had been painted a goldish yellow. There was a small card and on it some writing, it was very neat writing in gold pen.

To a beautiful butterfly who flew into my life but couldn't stay. I've put you in my little black book but I'm not telling you what mark I put against your name. Oh all right I'll tell you. Fabulous. Love from the phantom drainpipe climber. xx

Oh Tre, Stella laughed to herself, you're fucking nuts and unclipped her bracelet and attached the butterfly. It stood out from all the rest, as it was the only coloured charm she had, ll the others were just silver. Stella shivered remembering their nights of passion. Would it have been as wonderful with Mike? Would Stella ever find out? Was it too late for them? Probably. We're probably destined to remain writing pals only.

**
Two weeks later...

"What time are you leaving tomorrow?" said Stella glancing over at the suitcases in Jessie's bedroom. Everything was practically bare in her room. Her parents understood everything and had been on the phone to Billie and Billie's parent's loads of times. They were planning to go and visit in a couple of months to see where their daughter was living.

"We're leaving at 9.30. My parents are taking me to the airport and the rest of my stuff will be shipped out next week. Fuck it Stella I'm so anxious to see him" said Jessie.

"Not long now and I'm jealous." Said Stella.

"Come with me then." Said Jessie suddenly.

"I can't." said Stella.

"You can you just don't want to enough." Said Jessie.

"Jess I have to tell you something." said Stella all serious.

"Oh. About our trip?" answered Jessie.

"Yeah." Said Stella looking down and fiddling with the 'S' on the charm bracelet.

"What? Did you and Mike finally get it together?" laughed Jessie.

"No. Not Mike." Said Stella still not looking up.

"WHO?" said Jessie looking shocked.

Stella couldn't answer.

"Who Stella?" said Jessie impatiently.

"Tre." she answered.

"No way." Said Jessie.

"Yes."

"Jeez. Did you kiss him? When did all this happen?"

"He came to my room every night" said Stella.

"WHAT? You're kidding?" said Jessie.

"No." Answered Stella.

"Did you.. you know?" said Jessie.

"Yes, and it was wonderful." Said Stella now looking up at her friend.

"Stella. What about Mike?" Jessie said.

"Mike and I couldn't quite get it together" said Stella "though we did kiss on the last day," she said all dreamily.

"And?" said Jessie.

"And what?" answered Stella.

"What was it like?"

"Marvellous." replied Stella.

"So whose the best kisser?" said Jessie fishing for more information.

"They're both good," answered Stella.

"Come on, who? One has to be better than the other. I'm not settling for that," Jessie said.

"They're both different and both were wonderful." Said Stella truthfully.

"Which one had more spark about it?" said Jessie.

"Mikes did." Stella didn't hesitate.

"See." said Jessie.

"I know but Tre was wonderful too and he certainly knew what to do in bed."

"Stella!" said Jess.

"I know but.. fucking hell. He's well experienced and he's younger."

"You're experienced too now," said Jessie.

"No I'm not," said Stella shyly.

"OK. You're not." Said Jessie who couldn't be bothered to argue.

"Hey Jess can I come with you and your parents to the airport?" asked Stella.

"Why not, I'd love you to come," said Jess "but I've got to make a special trip to the jewellers at 9am, I'm going to get there for when it opens then just have enough time to get back home to leave for the flight.".

"What's so special that you've got at the jewellers?" asked Stella.

"Oh, just something I've had made up for Billie and me" she laughed. "I'll show you in the morning. We'll come and pick you up just after 9.30" said Jessie. "Oh my got Stella, I'm so excited I'm not gong to sleep a wink tonight"

"Come here you." said Jess putting her arms out to her friend. "You lucky thing starting a new life with someone you love."

They hugged for ages then Stella had to leave as Jessie had a small family party planned so that she could say goodbye to relatives that she may not see for years.

"See you in the morning." said Stella watching her friend as she left her house.

The next day...

9.40 the clock read. Stella went over to her bedroom window. No sign of them, they were late. She started pacing the room. She hated waiting for people. There was nothing to do but hang around and just... wait.

9.50 said the clock so she decided to go downstairs and grab a glass of water.

"They're late," said her Mum to Stella.

"Yeah I wonder what the hold up is," said Stella. "She's got a flight to catch"

Stella thought she heard a car outside but when she checked from the Living room window it was just the neighbours coming back from shopping. They were carrying bags in from the car.

"Not her?" asked her Mother.

"No." said Stella sighing and pacing around the room.

"Oh sit down Stella you're wearing me out pacing around like that." Said her Mother.

"Something's happened..." Stella said.

"Don't be silly. It's just a small hold up she's got ages before her flight." Said Stella's mother checking her watch. "Turn on the TV and sit down or something, before you know it they'll be here." She said.

10.05 Stella's watch said.

"They're well late." she said to her mum.

"Give them a call then." said her mother.

"No." said Stella, "they'll probably be here soon."

But they weren't and another half an hour had gone.

10.35. Stella was slouched on the sofa watching TV.

"This is stupid," said Stella. "She's going to miss her flight if she doesn't hurry up. I'm going to call."

As she said that the phone rang. Stella's mother was standing quite near it so she picked up.

"Hello." she spoke. Stella watched her mother's face. It had drained of all colour and she grabbed onto the sideboard for support. Stella noticed her knuckles turn white. Stella stood up, something was wrong. What was it?

"I see," said her mother. "Ok. Right. Yes. I'll tell her. I am so very sorry; I don't know what to say."

What the fuck was this? Thought Stella. Is Jess ill? She watched her mother put down the phone but she didn't turn to look at her.

"What is it mum? Something's wrong. Tell me." Said Stella.

Her mother turned to face her. Stella hadn't seen that look before on her mother's face and she didn't like it.

"What is it mum?"

"Its Jess..." said her mum.

"WHAT? Said Stella she was scared now. She felt cold.

"Something dreadful has happened. An accident."

"What Mum?" whispered Stella. Oh my god, this couldn't be happening.

"Sweetheart, its Jessie... she's been killed darling." Said her mother coming over to her.

"No. Stop it. Stop messing." Said Stella.

"Come here," said her mum.

"But she's catching her flight soon. She's going to be with Billie in America. This can't have happened mum. No... Please say its not happening. Please."

"I wish I could sweetheart. Come and sit down."

Her mother guided Stella over to the sofa.

Stella was sobbing her heart out. She sat there for ages crying and her mother didn't know what to do.

Suddenly Stella spoke. "How Mum? How did it happen?"

"Apparently she was at the jewellers first thing this morning. She was so excited apparently and she came running out of the jewellers to get home to gather everything together and... . she got hit by a car. She died instantly. The only witness was the jeweller who said that she was so happy this girl it looked like she almost wasn't with it. She was obviously thinking about flying off to Billie and didn't see the car."

"Oh Mum. Billie has to be told." Said Stella screwing up a tissue in her hand.

"I know." Said her mother stroking her daughter's hair.

"Should I call and tell him?" asked Stella.

"Oh my god Stella, I don't know. You are in no fit state. Shall I call up Billie's Mum myself?"

"I don't know Mum. You'd better check with Jessie's parents. He should be told though mum as soon as possible."

Later..

"What time is it in America now sweetheart?" said Stella's mother.

Stella was sitting on the sofa with loads of used tissues around her. She hadn't moved for two hours.

"What's the time now?" asked Stella.

"1pm here."

"Go back about 8 hours" said Stella.

"Its 5am then. I can't call yet."

"Give it another hour," said Stella. Fucking hell this wasn't happening. Her best friend had died and her mother was going to call up her fiancé in America and tell him that his girlfriend had been hit by a car and killed whilst getting him a list minute gift. Fucking hell Jess, what were you doing? What were you buying for god sake? Why didn't you look when you crossed the road?

Stella suddenly remembered the dream that Jessie kept going on about. Fuck it. The dream it was a dream of Jess dead, now it was true. Jessie had kept on saying that she was like an angel in the sky and couldn't reach us. Oh Jess and you didn't want to come back home, you were frightened as though you knew something bad was going to happen. We made you come home and you didn't want to. This is my fault.

Stella started sobbing then and her mother went to her. She cradled her sad daughter as though she were a four year old again, stoking her hair and using comforting words. Stella fell asleep and her mother left her then. She had a phone call to make...

... California...

6am. Was that the phone ringing thought Billie? No couldn't be, it was too early. He rolled over onto his side and glanced over at the picture of himself and Jess on his bedside table. This is the last time that I'm going to be in this bed alone. Tonight it's going to be you and me in here together, forever. He reached out and touched Jessie's face. "I love you" he said out loud then tried to get back to sleep.

But Billie was wrong. It had been the phone ringing. He heard his mother pick up. Who the fuck would be calling at this hour?