Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Billie sends his photograph

California - 3 months later...

"What are you going to do for your 11th birthday Billie?" asked Mike

"Nothing much. Maybe get some pizzas and a video. You'll be living here then so it'll be real cool."

"Yeah I can't wait," said Mike

"When exactly is your mom moving away?" Billie asks

"In a couple of weeks I think. She's started packing already. She's a little upset that I'm not going with her but she knows that this way I don't have to change schools again and she knows your mom will look after me and I'd be real unhappy if I went with her."

They both changed the subject then and headed down to the basement to start playing their guitars.

When Mike got to his house his mother handed him a letter. It was from Stella.

Dear Mike

Thank you for your letter. I'm sorry that I haven't written back sooner but I have had some problems at home. My dad has now left us for good and I haven't seen him for three months. Mum says he has gone to live with another woman who he met at work and she is having his baby. I'm really confused by all this. Mum says its been going on for ages but I didn't notice.

He actually sends money for me and I've saved it up and I'm having my first piano lesson tomorrow. I can't wait. I've been listening to loads of music just recently. I think I have got you to thank for that. You're right, it really sends a tingle down your spine and when I listen to some songs I can really relate to the words. Can you?

Jessie has asked again about Billie Joe. Could you send me a picture of him when you next write? I'd like to see what he looks like as you are always talking about him.

I hope you do start a band. Be positive and go ahead and do it. Get Billie to sing for you, you said he could sing a bit.

I have to go soon so that I can clean the house up before mum gets home. She's pretty sad at the moment and sometimes can't be bothered to do much when she gets home from work.

Oh I've enclosed a picture of Fatso. Please don't laugh at him. He's lovely.

From

Stella xxx


"What the fuck's that?" said Billie Joe grabbing the picture of Fatso. "Is it a rat?"

"Stop it Billie its Stella's dog."

Billie squints at the picture. "No I reckon it's a rat alright, look at the tail"

"No it says here it's definitely her dog and his name is Fatso" Mike said.

"Fatso! No way" and Billie Joe pisses himself laughing rolling about the floor.

"That's not nice," said Mike

"Don't tell me I've hurt your feelings, its only some mutt that belongs to that English girl you write to. Anyway what's she saying this time? How are her parents?"

"It looks as though they've split up. She's a bit sad but starting piano lessons tomorrow and she wants me to send her a picture of you so we can prove that all American boys are not blonde surf dudes"

"I'll get one for you," said Billie Joe going off.

"Its ok Billie I won't need it yet," said Mike but too late Billie had already gone.

May 12th - (3 months later)

"Happy Birthday Mike" shouts Billie Joe. I can't believe we are now both 11. Here's a bunch of cards that were in the mailbox this morning. This one has got to be from Stella, it has an English stamp on it. Have you written to her lately?"

"No, I keep forgetting, what with moving in here and getting settled. I feel real bad about it."

Mike opens a few birthday cards and puts his card from Stella away.

"Why don't you open it Mike?" says Billie. "Don't tell me you like to read it in private?"

Mike picked up the envelope and saw that there was a little birthday card in it. It was hand made and had a guitar on the front. How sweet.

Inside it read

Dear Mike

Hope you have a great 11th birthday

From

Stella xxxx

Ps I haven't heard from you in ages. I hope everything is ok with you. If you don't want to write anymore I fully understand xxxx


Mike immediately felt bad. He searched in the drawer for some paper and a pen and wrote back a short note. He popped it into the envelope with the photo of Billie Joe and sealed it up ready to post later. She'll get it soon he thought.

England...

"Well done Stella" said Mr Lucas. "You have done extremely well over the last couple of months since you started. I think you're ready for your first piano exam. Take this form home to your parents and let them read it through. When you come for your next lesson and when they've agreed I'll put in for your exam"

"Oh thanks Mr Lucas," I said. Mr Lucas was quite cool really. He liked to play classical music when he taught but he admitted he was a rock fan too and loved the traditional rock bands. He wasn't handsome at all and getting on a bit he must have been at least 30. Ancient.

When I got home there was a letter on the mat. I was so pleased that Mike had written back I thought he didn't want to write to me anymore. I'd missed his letters.

Dear Stella

I am so sorry I haven't been in touch but I am now living at Billie Joes house as my Mom has moved away from the area. This is only a quick letter to let you know that I haven't forgotten you. I shall write again soon with all my news in loads more detail.

Here is a picture of Billie Joe. He chose it himself and he couldn't decide between about 20 pictures of himself!

From

Mike x


He's put a kiss on this letter Stella thought. Aaaagh and he still wants to write to me. She shook the envelope and out fell a picture of a boy. It was a picture of a boy with brownish curly hair, green eyes and a cheeky smile. He had a very slight build and looked quite friendly. Stella got out her scrapbook and stuck in the letter from Mike and Billie Joe's photograph too.

Mum was in the kitchen when she gave her the letter from Mr Lucas. "What's this honey?" she asked.

"Oh just a note from Mr Lucas. It has to be filled in so I can take an exam"

"Oh well-done sweetheart" said mum coming over to cuddle me. "I've got some good news actually" said Mum"

"What's that?" I ask

"Well how do you fancy a holiday? Somewhere hot?"

"I'd love it mum, but where?" I knew America was totally out of the question.

"Well Margaret at work has a Spanish villa and she said we could stay in it for a week. How about it?"

"Fantastic mum. When?"

"During the summer holidays, so in about six weeks or so"

How wonderful it would be to get away and to be able to swim outdoors and feel the sun on my body. I couldn't wait.

Two days later there was another letter from Mike. This time it had loads more information and another photograph.

Dear Stella

I still feel bad about not writing to you earlier. Yeah quite a lot has happened here. As I said before my mom has moved away from the area and I didn't want to go so she has agreed that I can live with Billie Joe. I really do love it here. We come and go as we please and play our guitars as loud as we want as they've got a basement. All Billie keeps going on about is making a band but how can we do that when we both play the same instrument. He wants me to play the bass guitar but I'm not sure yet. I'll have to think about it a little more. We need to find a drummer and Billie has said that if it comes down to it he would sing. Good job because I'm not much good at singing.

Thank you for your photo of Fatso. I have a confession that Billie Joe laughed at him but I thought he was real sweet. I've always wanted a dog but can't ever see me getting one. I have a pin board in my bedroom and I've pinned up the picture of you, all your letters are up there and now I've put the one of Fatso up. I'm going to take a photo of my bedroom so that you can see how huge it is. I've never had such a huge room its like a palace here and Billie Joe's mom is so kind and is a wonderful cook. I feel spoilt, thought it would be even better if I could be with mom.

You don't say much about your friends. Please tell me all about them next time you write any photos would be welcome for my pin board. Also let me know when it is your birthday so that I can get you a card. I can't believe that I am now 11.

From

Mikexx


Two kisses this time and a photograph of his bedroom. It was huge, not like my little box room. I shall write back soon and tell him that we are going away on holiday. I could send him a postcard from Spain for his pin board.

California...

"Mike?" shouted Billie Joe's mum. "You have some mail sweetheart"

"Coming" said Mike bounding down the stairs.

"Looks like it's a postcard from Spain. Would it be that English girl you write to?"

"Yeah I think it is, she said she was going to Spain for a holiday. Thanks" he said taking the postcard and reading it.

Dear Mike

I am having such a wonderful time in Spain. I've been swimming in the pool and the sea and I've been snorkelling. I got a little sunburnt yesterday so have to stay out of the sun today so I thought I'd use the time to write to you. I've been on a speedboat and have eaten paella but didn't like it much. The Spanish people are so friendly. Mum has taken loads of pictures so I'll send some for your pin board.

From Stella xxxxx


"Can I have a look?" Said Billie's mum

"Of course" said Mike

"She seems like a sweet girl Mike," said Billie's mum after reading the postcard.

"Yes she does. She's had problems at home too so I can relate to her a bit"

"I wonder if you'll ever get to meet up?" Said Billie's mum.

"I doubt it," said Mike - "we can't even afford to call each other up. But writing is good enough for me; I enjoy writing to her and receiving her letters. Some people don't understand. I don't know if Billie does"

"You'd be surprised with Billie, he probably does understand but just doesn't like to comment too much" said his Mum "you know what Billie can be like"

"Yeah I know," said mike smiling then taking his postcard from Stella up to his pinboard...