Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Leaving Once Again

"They're here," said Adrienne to Ana. Adrienne had been pacing up and down over by the window and looking out. The girls had been getting everything ready for the arrival of Stella and little baby Ryan. They'd made up a room for Stella and Ryan and they'd bought her a few things, things that she would need.

The guys had gone to collect her. They all decided to go in the end as the couldn't agree on who would go so the entire Green Day trio went and got Stella from the hospital and brought her back in Tre's car.

Billie came in the door first.

"Make way for mother and baby," he said grinning all over his face.

Then came Mike through the door carrying some bags of Stella's. Stella was directly behind him and looked tired.

Last of all was Tre carrying a little bundle in a blanket, baby Ryan.

Ana and Adrienne cooed around him while Mike went off to get some drinks for everyone. Tre laid down little Ryan into his carrycot and tucked a little blanket around him.

"He's so sweet and he's grown even in the past few days," said Adi who hadn't seen Ryan for a couple of days. "Oh look at his hair, he so looks like you Stella."

Stella smiled. Even if he looked a little like Matt, they wouldn't have said so she thought to herself.

Mike brought the drinks out and they all sat down together.

"You can stay here as long as you want you know Stella," said Mike. "We'd love having you and little Ryan about the place."

"That's so kind of you but I'm only going to stay for a week. Its not fair on you guys, you'll want to practice and everything and I don't want you to think you've got to be quiet for our sakes."

"We're going to miss you both," said Adrienne already knowing what Stella had decided about going home as they had discussed it in hospital. Adrienne went once again to check Ryan in the carrycot then Billie Joe joined her then and they both stood staring at him and touching his little fingers.

"It will be them next," said Ana nudging Mike.

"Oh my god, can you imagine a little baby Billie Joe," said Mike laughing.

"Yes," said Adrienne "I CAN imagine a little baby Billie Joe," and she looked across at her boyfriend. Billie squeezed her tight.

Tre coughed.

"I'm off for now then so I shall see you guys later," he said.

"Oh going so soon?" said Stella.

"Yeah, I said I'd see my parents. They want me to take a picture over of little Ryan and I've not seen them for a while."

"You've been great Tre," said Stella. "Thanks for everything."

Tre had visited every day and he had changed little Ryan's nappies- they had a laugh about this as Tre called them diapers and they often disagreed. He'd bathed little Ryan and given him his bottle sometimes too.

Stella laughed as some of the other mothers thought how lucky little Ryan was having a father like Tre and that even their baby's own fathers weren't as good. They couldn't believe it when Stella told the other mothers that Tre was just a friend.

He had been so good and kind and it looked like there was special little bond between Ryan and Tre.

Stella felt slightly embarrassed that Tre had been with her when she gave birth. He had seen everything but then... he had seen everything before hadn't he?

He was so good during her labour and kept mopping her brow and holding her hand and giving her sips of water.

She thought back to the moment when Ryan was born and the nurse handed him to her. It was a precious moment and she'd never forget it. It was hours later when all the other guys had turned up and all the women were crying and trying to get a cuddle with little Ryan. They'd all turned up again the next day with little gifts, again wanting more cuddles. The only one that Stella hadn't seen give Ryan a cuddle was Mike and it upset her a little, he WAS kind of named after him after all.

The phone rang then and Ana went off to answer it.

"Hey Stella it's Michelle. She's called nearly every day to see how Ryan is," said Ana coming into the room.

Stella went to the hall to take the call.

"Hi Michelle,"

"Hi little mother, how's the beautiful gorgeous little creature?"

"What you mean Mike?" Said Stella whispering into the phone.

"Stella! You can't mean that, you're not still keen on him are you? Have you not come to your senses yet? He's not interested," said Michelle.

"I know but... I live in hope," whispered Stella.

"I think you should knock it on the head. Anyway I'm not calling to ask about Mike I'm calling to ask about the beautiful little Ryan."

"Ryan's good. He takes his milk well but I'm tired from getting up during the night," yawned Stella.

"You'll get used to it," laughed Michelle.

"I know but I'm scared about flying home with him. He's so small."

"You'll be fine and I'll be here with your mother when you get back, she's dying to see her little grandson you know, you shocked us all giving birth 10 weeks early."

"Well he's getting so huge and I'm glad to be out of the hospital, 5 weeks is a long time," said Stella.

"I know. I'm just sorry that I couldn't stay with you but I had to get back to work. Still I got an extra week's holiday out of it. I was thinking what a good thing that you didn't come out on the boat after all; you would have had your baby on the boat."

Just then Tre came out into the hallway, on his way out.

"What time does your flight land then?" said Michelle, "I shall come and collect you both from the airport."

2It lands at 7pm a week tomorrow," said Stella.

I cant wait to see you said Michelle.

"Me neither," said Stella watching Tre loitering around the hall, he obviously wanted to speak to her before he left. "See you next week."

"Bye little mother," said Michelle.

Stella put down the phone and turned to Tre.

"So you're going back then?" He said.

"Of course Tre, I have to take him back but you guys have been so good."

"I shall miss you both. Little tiger in there said tre nodding towards the living room; he's a wonderful baby."

"I know," said Stella. "Thanks tre for being there and for being so good with him. You are so good with him I hope you have children one day," she said.

"I love kids but I have to find a lady first," he smiled.

He was shuffling about now and she felt sorry for him. He was special and he deserved someone special. She went over to him and kissed him on the cheek.

"You're special Tre, thank you for looking after Ryan with me."

"Its been a pleasure," said Tre. "Anyway," he sighed, "I have to go now and see the old folks."

"Take care." Said Stella watching him leave.

As he went off Stella shouted out,

"Hey Tre, I WILL see you before you go won't I?"

But he didn't hear her.

*

"Mike, could you just pick up Ryan for me while I warm his milk," said Stella.

"Ummm." Said Mike, not sure what to do.

"Its ok," said Stella, "he's not going to bite."

"What if I drop him?" said Mike.

"You wont drop him," said Stella.

"What if I did?" said Mike. He really didn't want to pick Ryan up. Babies made him nervous.

"Its OK Mike, could you warm his milk then while I get him?" she asked, "he's getting a little upset now." Said Stella going over to her crying baby.

"Yeah, I'll warm his milk," said Mike getting up and going into the kitchen.

He had the warm bottle in his hands when he came back out.

"You can feed him if you like," said Stella

"No, it's OK, I like watching you feed him," said Mike.

"Can I feed him?" came a voice from the doorway, it was Billie Joe.

"Of course you can," said Stella handing over little Ryan to Billie who started cooing at him. Ryan calmed down straight away and then Billie sat down with him while Mike handed him the milk bottle.

Stella quietly left the room.

"Hey Adi," whispered Stella who was in the kitchen cooking lunch "come and look through the door."

Adi came over and peeked through and watched Billie feeding little Ryan.

"Just look at him with the baby," said Adi her eyes full of love for her man. "My god it just suits him he's so gentle and... "

"Would you like kids one day?" said Stella looking over at Adi.

"I'd love them and I don't care what we have. I want little Billie Joes to love and take care of," said Adrienne all dreamily.

"If you two had kids," said Stella "they would be so beautiful."

"Like little Ryan you mean," said Adrienne who couldn't take her eyes off Billie with the baby.

*

Ryan woke Stella very early on her last day and she took him out of his crib and down the stairs to get him his bottle. All was quiet and dark in the house and she crept down quietly hoping that Ryan's cries wouldn't wake anyone up.

Mike was in the kitchen again and he jumped when he heard Stella. He was writing something down and he quickly put it away when she came into the room.

"Sorry, did I make you jump?" said Stella.

"Yeah, sorry I didn't hear you coming," he said.

"What are you doing down here at this hour, its 4am?" said Stella.

"Oh you know me, having trouble sleeping just lately," he said.

"Let me warm Ryan's bottle and I'll make us some warm milk too," said Mike remembering the last time that they had shared warm milk together. Tonight was different though and Mike thought that nothing would never be the same again.

"We're going to miss you and Ryan," said Mike

"I know and I'm going to miss you guys so much, you've all been so great to us, like one big happy family."

"I meant it by us being there for you any time," said Mike. "Pick up the phone at any time and we'll be there," he said. "There's always one of us around."

"Hey what are the girls going to do without you?" said Mike coming over to Ryan and touching his little hand. Stella realised that this was the first time he had actually touched Ryan. Was he warming to him at last?

"Yes what are they going to do? He's had three mothers since he was born," laughed Stella giving him his milk.

"Did you hear the phone ring late last night?" said Mike.

"Vaguely," said Stella.

"Yeah it was a guy called Rob Cavallo," he said.

"Oh right, who is he?" said Stella.

"He's a record producer. He's heard our stuff and he wants us to sign to a different label but we're going to have to think hard about it. Billie has got some great stuff written for our next album and well... we're going to have a meeting about it tomorrow, just the three of us to decide what to do. Lookout records were good to us giving us our first record but apparently this guy is huge. The trouble is no-one will like us round here if we go to a huge record label they'll think we're selling out and deserting the scene around here."

"You have to do what you thinks best," said Stella. "I hope it works out for you. You know I've played Ryan your Kerplunk! Album already," said Stella. "Sometimes when he can't sleep upstairs I have the volume on low. I bet he's the youngest punk rocker in the world," she said.

They laughed and Stella realised she hadn't seen Mike laugh for ages.

*

All the girls were crying and it was awful. There was loads of stuff to take back in the suitcase; all the stuff that everyone had bought for Ryan was crammed in. It took them ages to close it.

"What are we going to do without you, little person?" Cooed Adrienne holding on to little Ryan's hand and looking into his eyes.

She'll make a great mother some day thought Stella.

Ana was rattling his rattle around and stroking Ryan's soft hair. And you thought Stella. You're going to have Mikes' baby I just know it and I just hope he can handle it she thought.

There was a knock on the door and it was Tre. Stella went to open it as the other guys were busy cooing around Ryan while they still had the chance.

"Hi," he said. "I have a couple of gifts for you. One is for you," he said handing her a tiny little package "and this," he said bringing out a bag from behind his bag "is for little tiger."

Stella glanced into the bag and it was a cuddly tiger and on the tag at the front of its neck was his name RYAN.

She quickly opened her package and it was another charm for her bracelet. A silver tiger. Tre attached it to her bracelet then kissed her hand gently. Stella's stomach flipped remembering the feelings that Tre had awakened in her before. It was too late now; she was off back to England again. She wouldn't tell Tre it was too late thought because he'd say it wasn't, he was that kind of guy.

"You're so kind Tre, you've given us so much already."

"Nothing is enough for you two," he said wandering off into the living room to say goodbye to Ryan.

Tre didn't offer to take Stella to the airport, as he couldn't face it so Adrienne and Billie were taking her.

They all opened bottles of beer to toast Stella and Ryan before they left and she tearfully hugged Ana. Ana had been great and had got up a couple of times during the night to feed Ryan when she had been tired. She hugged Mike then and he squeezed her tight and told her that he would write soon. Then Tre held out his arms and she went to hug him. She actually loved it when he held her, gentle but firm, that was Tre.

She pulled away as the tears came to her eyes. Suddenly she felt very sad and something deep inside her told her that it was going to be a very long time before she saw these friends of hers again.