Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Mixed Feelings

“Are you OK sweetheart?” Said Ron looking at Michelle.

“I’m fine, I have a letter from Stella.” She said waving an envelope in front of his face.

“Thank god I know you’ve missed hearing from her. Come here, get back into bed and read it to me, read me Stella’s letter like you used to do.”

Michelle snuggled down next to Ron and read it out loud.

Dear Michelle

I’m apologising to you firstly because I’ve had a good think just lately and I realise how wrong I was and that you were right. You were always right and have given me such good advice in the past. I’ve thrown it back in your face Michelle and I’m sorry. I hear that you are coming over here in June and I really hope that we can get together and be friends again like we used to. I’ve missed you Michelle, I hope you understand.

I’m also writing to tell you I’ve written to Mike. I’ve explained the best way I can what happened. May be it’s not the way to do it in your eyes, may be I should call him up and tell him but, this is the way for me. I’ve always been able to communicate with Mike by letter and anyway it clears the air a little for when I get to see him in two weeks. It’s been over two years since I’ve seen them and I can’t wait.

I’ve enclosed a copy of the letter to Mike. May be you and he could get together and discuss it; he may need someone to talk to after he reads the news.

I’ve enclosed some photographs of Ryan and Jessica; they were only taken yesterday so they’re very up to date.

I’m sorry once again Michelle. Let’s put this behind us and let us carry on where we left off.

I miss you.

Stella.


Michelle reached into the envelope and pulled out a photograph and checked it over.

“Hey Ron, take a look at this.”

Ron sleepily took a look at the photograph.

“Now I know, its so obvious who the father is.” He said.

After Michelle read the letter that Stella had written to Mike she felt proud of her friend for what she’d done.

“Ron?”

“Hmmm,” said Ron still checking out the picture. He couldn’t get over the likeness of the little girl to her father.

“I’m going to call her.”

“About time woman, what took you so long,” and he rolled back over and went to sleep.

**

“Where the fuck is Mike?” Said Billie to Tre.

Tre just shrugged, “I haven’t seen him.”

“We’re on in an hour and we need to warm up and jeeze, this is not like him. Is he in the men’s room? Has he got the shits or something?”

“Don’t think he’s ill but he’s been in a funny mood all day. He’s hardly spoken to me and keeps giving me odd looks.”

“Yeah he was off with me this morning,” said Billie, “come on lets go and find him.”

They wandered around the back of the venue opening and closing doors and then they found him sitting there strumming his bass in a little back room, he looked far away, distant almost.

“There you are, what’s the matter?”

“Nothing.” Said Mike and not offering anything else.

“Yes there is, you’ve been weird all day.” Said Tre.

”What’s it to you?” Said Mike

“Mike? What the fuck is up man?” Said Billie. This wasn’t like Mike at all, especially before a gig.

“Nothing, come on, what are you waiting for, our fans are out there waiting for us.” Mike said storming off.

Mike managed to get through the show but hardly interacted with Billie and Tre at all. The guys noticed, they just hoped that the audience didn’t. They didn’t seem to, they were as wild as ever. As soon as they’d taken their bow, Mike was quick to get off the stage. He needed to be alone. He brushed passed Adi who was standing at the side of the stage.

“Mike?” She shouted after him but he just ignored her. He wanted to get away, just for a while. He needed to go and read again the letter that Stella had sent him that morning.

**

Putting the letter down he couldn’t quite believe it. He understood what she was saying but he still couldn’t believe that she could quite go to those lengths. To blatantly come out with the fact that she had a child and none of them knew anything about her. She had a two-year-old daughter called Jessica. He couldn’t believe it and she’d enclosed a photograph. He checked out the photograph once more. Stella was right there was a likeness. She was such a gorgeous little girl.

The guys were coming in then and Mike quickly put the letter away in his pocket but not before Billie noticed.

“Hey what are you up to. Just like the old days when Stella used to write to you when we were kids, you had that same expression on your face, all sort of secretive.” Said Billie.

Mike didn’t speak.

“It wasn’t a letter from Stella was it?” Said Billie.

“Might be,” said Mike but not really wanting to elaborate.

“Good, it’s about time you two caught up with your correspondence. I can’t wait to see Stella, only a couple more weeks and we can catch up with our English rose again.” Billie said.

“It’s been a while I can’t wait to see her either.” Said Tre.

“And I bet Mikey boy here can’t wait,” said Billie going over to him and jumping on him and starting to pummel his ribs.

“Fuck off Billie,” said Mike getting up off the chair.

“What did I say?” Said Billie shrugging and looking at Tre. Tre just shook his head.

Mike walked off into the hallway. Two weeks and he would be seeing Stella. Two weeks. He wasn’t sure if he was looking forward to it now or not, especially after what she had kept from him.