Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Mike starts playing bass

"Not another letter from Mike" said Jessie. They were going bowling after school and she had come to get Stella.

"Yeah. I've not had time to open it up yet. I've got another letter here too. It looks like it may be the results of the piano exam. I'm too nervous to open it"

"Oh come on Stell, give it here and I'll do it," said Jessie taking the letter from her friend.

Stella hands the letter over to Jessie and she opens it.

"Oh no" said Jessie her face looking sad, but then only pretending "You've passed. With honors" she said waving the letter around and giving her friend a hug.

"Really?" said Stella. "Show me."

She read the letter with excitement. "Oh I'm so pleased Jessie. I can't wait to tell mum and write to Mike and tell him."

"Well you can do that later," said Jessie looking at her watch. "We're going to be late for bowling. Did I tell you that Gary and Tony are going to be there too"?

"No you didn't" said Stella. "What are they coming for?" she said.

"They wanted to come. I think Tony quite likes you." said Jessie

"Well I don't like him. He has massive ears and they are always red," said Stella grabbing her bag and leaving the house hating to leave Mike's letter on the hall table unread.

Stella couldn't concentrate on bowling. She was so pleased about passing her exam she wanted to go home and tell her mum and she also wanted to read Mike's letter. She wished she'd opened it before she left. She usually opened his letters straight away.

She let herself in the house and grabbed the letter.

"Hi darling. Congratulations" Mum said coming out from the kitchen and giving Stella a hug - "I saw your results letter on the table. Well done you. Would you like something to drink"?

"Yes please mum," said Stella.

"How was bowling?" said Mum

"OK. Jessie had invited Gary and Tony from down the road. That spoilt it a bit as they can be so stupid sometimes. They're not funny at all and Jessie acts all stupid when she's with them. I'm just going upstairs to read my letter from Mike."

"Ok darling" said Mum laughing to herself. How sweet that she always has to go away and read his letters.

Dear Stella

I've swapped my old guitar for a new bass. Sorry but I just had to write and tell you. Billie had this old one in the attic and when he brought it out, well it felt so awesome when I played it. It was amazing. I can't get enough of it. I swapped my old one in at our local music store and now I've got this shiny black bass guitar. We're seriously thinking now about setting up a band but we can't seem to find a singer or anyone to play the drums. Billie still doesn't want to sing so we'll have to see who we can find.

Everyone seems to want to play guitars at school and there aren't any good singers. Billie actually sings quite well I wish he would think seriously about singing. He has also got some good songs but won't show me some of them. He can be so secretive sometimes.

I hope you are well. Isn't it your birthday soon? I can't believe that you are older than me by two whole months and are going to be 12 first. It's not fair!

From

Mike xxx


Wow, a bass guitar. I wasn't sure what one was so I looked it up in my dictionary and then got out an encyclopedia to check. Oh! So that is what a bass guitar looks like and that's what you play is it Michael Pritchard. I wish I could hear you.Dear Mike

Guess what? I passed my first keyboard exam with honors. I am so pleased it's untrue. Mum bought me a new music book of Queen's hits that I can learn. I practice in my room every night. Oh Mike, I love playing music so much. I've got you to thank for that. Mum says its all your fault!

I'm so pleased that you are happy playing the bass guitar. It sounds to me like Billie Joe has been trying to get you to play it for ages. I sometimes wish I could hear you playing and that you could hear me. May be I'll get the tape machine out and tape me playing. Promise I'll send a set of ear plugs along too!

I didn't know what a bass guitar looked like or what it did but I've looked it up and now I understand what its for.

I can't believe that I am going to be 12 in two weeks and then next year we shall be teenagers. Does that mean we automatically get spots then? I hope not.

Jessie is now going out with this boy called Gary. She acts all stupid around him and he is so immature. She told me today that she kissed him. Gross. I'm not going to kiss anyone for ages. Yuk!

Write soon.

From

Stella xxxxx

Ps. Tell Billie he has to get singing and then you can be a real band.

California...

"I can't believe Jessie has kissed someone," said Billie Joe mockingly. "She could have waited for me," he said throwing himself onto the floor and pretending to cry.

"Oh Billie, cut it out" said Mike laughing. "You'll never get to even meet Jessie. Anyway she's not your type, I thought you liked brunettes?" said Mike

"I do. But there's no harm in testing out the other species" said Billie. "Oh did you see that new guy at school today, Jason White I think his name is?"

"Yeah, he had a guitar strapped to his back," said Mike. "Looked okay to me though."

"Yeah, wonder if he wants to join the band with us," said Billie.

"But he plays guitar and you've already got yourself and me now on the bass. Do we need another guitarist Billie"?

"Well, you never know when we might need him." said Billie Joe.

March 10 1984

"Happy Birthday darling" said Mum as I came down to breakfast.

"Thanks mum" I say. "Wow, look at all these cards". I searched through them all and found Mike's it was a small parcel like the one I received at Christmas. I shall save that until last I thought.

"Here's a little something from me," said Mum kissing me on the head and giving me a hug. "I can't believe that you are 12" she said. "I remember when you were born... "

"Oh mum, not again," I say opening her present. Inside is the latest Queen album and also she gave me a vanity case and inside were lots of make up and brushes and hair stuff.

"Thanks Mum" I say.

"Well now you're getting a little older I thought you could do with some make up. But don't go putting too much on will you. You won't need much as you're pretty enough as it is."

I open the rest of my cards and then go upstairs with Mike's gift. I open the card first. It is a picture of a rock girl playing the piano. Inside is a letter.

Dear Stella

Happy Birthday. I am still jealous that you are 12 before me. Billie Joe is 12 and so are you. It's not fair being the youngest. Is Jessie 12 yet? When's her birthday?

Billie Joe was a little jealous that she'd kissed Gary. Can you believe it? He doesn't even know her. He has vowed to kiss as many girls as he can just to show off, but I don't think he has kissed one yet. I haven't kissed any girls either but I don't care really at the moment.

We have made friends with a boy at school called Jason White. He plays guitar too. At this rate we are just going to have a band with three guitarists and no singer. Can you believe it, how are we going to get famous with three guitarists, no singer or drummer and no songs to sing, but Billie Joe is determined. He says it will happen. I just let him dream.

You haven't sent any pictures for ages and my pin board could do with some fresh ones. Please send some as soon as possible.

Have a great birthday.

From

Mikexxxx


I open up the gift and inside is another charm to go onto my bracelet. This time it is a silver treble clef. I clip it onto the bracelet. 'Thanks Mike' I say to him in my mind. 'I love it. '

California...

Mike, Billie Joe and Jason are kicking a ball about at the front of the house when the postman arrives.

"Any of you M. Pritchard?" the postman asks them.

"Yeah he is" said Billie Joe pointing over at Mike. "Oh look Mikey, another love letter from your English rose," he mocks. Jason laughs.

"Piss off you two," said Mike taking the package and heading off into the house.

It was almost two months since he'd heard anything from Stella. He was getting a little worried as he'd sent her a present and everything and he hadn't heard back.

This was some package. The largest one he'd ever received from Stella.

He opened it up and inside was a card - probably for his birthday for the next day. There was also a birthday present with football wrapping paper and a letter. There was also what looked like some photos in another envelope. He opened the letter first.

Dear Mike

I am so sorry that I haven't written to you earlier but I had an accident and broke my wrist. I felt so stupid when I'd done it. I did it at school playing netball. They got an ambulance out to the school and everything I was so embarrassed and everyone crowded round to have a look. I only had the plaster taken off a few days ago so I am only just able to get back to writing to you and doing schoolwork and playing piano. I've been so bored. I often thought of phoning you up but mum would be really cross if she saw the phone bill and anyway I have no phone number for you.

I must say thank you for my birthday gift. I've put it onto my charm bracelet with the music note. It looks really cool and loads of girls at school ask where it came from. Remember that Isabel girl I told you about - she really wants a bracelet like it and she can't believe that we are still writing to each other. She thinks we have nothing in common but we do don't we?

I've put your birthday present into the parcel as well. I really hope you like it. Inside there is a special message so you understand what the present is and a card. Don't open until the 12th. There's also some photographs of my birthday meal that mum had. It was only me, Jessie and a couple of other girls from school. Mum bought me some make up for my birthday and I have some on in the photos but I don't usually wear it!

Anyway my wrist is hurting a little so I am going to go now Mike. Hope you enjoy your birthday. Love to Billie Joe - has he kissed anyone yet?

Love from

Stella xxxxxx


Mike was so engrossed in the letter he hadn't heard Billie Joe enter the room and was looking over his shoulder.

"Ooooh. She says luuurrve and the end," said Billie Joe making faces and taking the piss and trying to grab the letter.

"Piss off Billie" said Mike and grabbed the letter back. Their stupidity tore the letter in half.

"Just fuck off" said Mike. "Now look what you've done."

Billie Joe saw how upset he was. "Sorry dude. Didn't mean it. Lighten up will ya. You know that English girl really sounds happy all the time. She cheers you up doesn't she?"

"Yeah she does," said Mike.

"Is this your birthday present from her" said Billie picking up the football paper wrapped parcel.

"Yeah." said Mike

"Go on, open it up then" said Billie

"No. Think I'll wait until tomorrow" replied Mike

"Oh come on. She'll never know and you're dying to know what it is, I can tell. You'll get other presents tomorrow. Go on, open it."

"OK then" said Mike. He started opening the present. It felt soft as though it was an article of clothing. Out fell a t-shirt and a little note. The note read:

Dear Mike

Happy 12th Birthday. I hope you like this t-shirt. I found it in the attic amongst the punk clothes that were mum and dads. I've had it cleaned and everything so it's not dirty. If you don't like it I understand, I don't like wearing second hand stuff but I thought you would appreciate it. Mum says if you like punk music you'll love it. It's an original Sex Pistols T shirt that belonged to my Dad. Mum says he'll never even know that it's gone and he definitely won't be wearing it again!

Oh - and tell Billie Joe that he can't borrow it.

Stella xxxxxx


"Jeez" said Mike.

"Fuckin hell" said Billie. "I wish someone would send me gifts like that man."

"That's one cool present," said Mike

"Real cool" said Billie. "Can I try it on?"

"No you can't" said Mike

"Oh.. Because Stella said?" said Billie mocking him.

"That's right. You're not borrowing it," said Mike. "It's all mine" and he held it up against himself...