Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Caught reading in Class

England...

Dear Stella

Thank you so much for the T shirt. It's awesome. Billie Joe wants to wear it but he's not going to as I wear it nearly all the time, then I'm afraid to get it washed in case it ruins. It's the best present I've ever had. Thank you Stella.

Yep, it's now official. Billie Joe has now kissed someone for real. He's been practising on the back of his hands for months but now he informed me he's kissed a girl at school but he won't tell me who it is. He said he played along pretending he really liked her just to get a kiss. That's awful. I'd never treat a girl like that. Anyway he's happy now he's kissed someone but he insists that you tell Jessie for some reason. He's real weird sometimes.

Are you going away to Spain again this year? I can't remember the last time I went away on holiday. Sometimes we go up to the mountains for the day or to the lakes fishing and swimming. I love swimming do you?

My bass guitar is coming along real well. I think I'm beginning to get on everyone's nerves at school because I pretend I'm playing it when I'm there and I start making these Dirnt Dirnt noises like the twang of the strings. Think everyone things I'm mad but I just love the bass guitar.

Hey I love your pictures. You've changed a lot and look so much older than 12. Billie Joe's family think you're real pretty. They call you the English Rose. Have I mentioned that before?

Write soon

From

Mike xxx


Stella Williams! Will you stop what you're doing this instant.

Shit. I'd got carried away reading Mike's letter. I knew I shouldn't have rushed out of the house and grabbed the letter. I should have waited until I got home to read it.

That's an hour's detention after school for you young lady said Miss Flood. Now put away what ever it is you're reading and get on with your work. I could hear Isabel sniggering behind me.

On the way home I saw Tony up ahead. Oh no! I really couldn't be bothered to chat with him.

"Hi Stella" said Tony. "Are you going to the end of year disco?"

"Not sure yet. Why?"

"Well if you do would you like to come with me. It wouldn't be a real date or anything, just sort of a date for the disco."

"OK. Yeah, fine" I really couldn't be bothered either way.

"Oh great" He sounded shocked that I had said yes. "See you tomorrow then" he said.

"Yeah, bye" I answered.

My thoughts were really with Mike's letter. They call you English Rose. How sweet. I really didn't feel like an English rose, more like a prickly bush!

California...

Dear Mike

Thank you for your letter. I'm flattered that everyone calls me English Rose but I don't think it describes me at all. I got caught reading your letter in lesson time and got given detention. Good job Miss Flood didn't confiscate your letter; I had visions of her reading it out to the whole class. How embarrassing would that have been?

We have had end of year exams at school, that's why I've not written for about six weeks. Our summer holidays are about to start. I am not going away this year as we can't afford it but will probably go out for a few day trips with mum and Jessie's family said I could go and stay at hers a few nights in the holidays.

I have a confession to make. I have now kissed someone. It was Tony and it was after the school disco. Actually it wasn't that good and I am in no real hurry to do it again. Would you believe he tried to put his tongue down my throat? I think he thinks we are an item but no way! He has these big ears that are always bright red. He's ok as a friend though but I won't be kissing him again. Yuk!

I'm so glad you liked the T-shirt. Mum thought you would. Please send a photograph of you wearing the T shirt so that I can show her, she would like that.

She is actually going out on a date tonight with some guy she works with called Geoff. It's the first time she's been out with anyone since Dad left. She's all excited about it, trying to decide what to wear and everything. I hope she has a good time.

I'm going to go now Mike as I've got piano practice.

Remember to send that photo.

Love from

Stella xxxxxx


"Fancy a smoke?" Said Billie Joe coming into the basement. "I've got a few left over from school. I sold ten today which makes twenty bucks. Might go and get us some more sheet music from the store later with the money."

"Go on then" said Mike taking one. "You're mom's definitely out isn't she?" said Mike not wanting her to catch them smoking joints.

"Don't worry golden boy she won't be back until much later. She's working real hard at the diner, wish she'd have a rest though sometimes."

"Yeah she does work hard. We should cook her a meal to show our appreciation," said Mike. "How about we cook tomorrow night for her. We could do a chicken casserole with loads of vegetables. She'd like that"

"Yeah, good idea buddy, now for some of the green stuff," said Billie. "Where did I put that lighter"...

England...

"Morning Mum" said Stella coming into the kitchen. "How was last night?"

"Oh Stella. I had such a lovely time. Geoff took me to this steakhouse. We've got so much in common. He used to be a punk too. He works in the music industry and knows lots of famous people and has met the Sex Pistols"

"Wow. You like him then?" I said.

"Yes I do. He's taking me to the cinema tomorrow evening. What do you think I should wear? Are jeans too casual?" she asks.

"Oh Mum. Its only the cinema" I laugh.

"I know," she says. "But its been years since I dated" we laugh together, it was good to see her happy.

There was a noise out in the hall. The letterbox rattled and I saw it straight away. An airmail letter.

Hi

I hope you are well Stella. I can't believe you got a detention for reading my letter. I don't take your letters to school at all, I wouldn't dare. Sorry but you know what kids can be like. I would get slaughtered.

I hope your mum had a good time on her date with Geoff. What does your mum look like now? Do you take after her? She looked pretty cool in her punk years.

I can't believe you kissed Tony. I still haven't kissed anyone although there is a girl at school I might try and see if I can get a kiss out of. Her name is Julie. Sometimes I see her looking at me but I think its because I pretend play my guitar and she thinks I'm mad. They have now nicknamed me Mike Dirnt because of the Dirnt Dirnt noises I make. I don't mind as I quite like that name.

Billie is a little sad at the moment as his mom has a boyfriend and he doesn't really like him. I said just to stay out of his way but I think Billie likes to aggravate the situation a little. It must be awful to be in that situation and having to put up with your mom seeing someone else when your dad has died. I do feel a little sorry for him but we do try and stay out of the guy's way and stay in the basement and play our music.

I can't believe it's not long until Christmas again. We are playing in a school concert just before then and I can't wait. It will be my first time on the stage. Do you know we have been writing to each other for about 2 ½ years? That's amazing, don't you think?

Love from

Mike xxx


Poor Billie Joe was my immediate thought. It must be awful having another man live in your house especially if it's not your dad. I'd hate it if that Geoff moved in here. I haven't even met him yet.

December 1984

Dear Mike

I am so very sorry that I haven't written to you in ages. You're not going to believe this but Geoff has now moved into our house and I hate it. He wanders around as though he owns the place and he has made some alterations to the house. Sometimes I quite like him as he can be fun and kind and he's given me loads of stuff and then other times its obvious he just wants mum to himself and I feel left out in my own home. I'm not looking forward to Christmas day really as he'll be there and it will seem strange. Mum just thinks he's wonderful and to her he is.

Sorry for being so sad. Usually I try to make my letters happy but I am so sad at the moment and I spend most of my time in my room either listening to music or playing it just to get away from them. It's as though I'm a stranger in my own home. I think I'm just having a down moment and hopefully it will pass soon. At least I've got Fatso for company.

I shall be sending your Christmas parcel a little late this year. I really couldn't decide what to get you this time but now I have an idea and I shall send it off in a few days. Hopefully it will make it to you by Christmas day but if not then a few days later.

So sorry Mike.

Write soon.

Stella x


Mike felt very low after he'd read that letter. He felt so sorry for Stella and he could hear it in her words that she was sad. I wish I could just see her and give her a hug he thought but that's impossible. Totally impossible.

"Hey buddy," said Billie coming into his room. "What's that face for?" he said looking at Mike.

"Read this and tell me what you think," said Mike handing the letter over to Billie.

Billie read the letter.

"Shit that's how I feel," said Billie. "Poor English Rose. I know what its like man, its not nice at all that feeling. I hope she's gonna be alright" he said.

"So do I but I feel a bit helpless. What should I do?" he said

"Nothing you can do really" said Billie. You can't call her up as you've got no money and it'll cost a fortune and you don't have her number anyway. I'm sorry man," said Billie. "When you write to her, give her my love won't you and tell her I know how she feels," said Billie. Billie Joe could be really kind when he wanted to thought Mike.

"Yeah I'll do that," said Mike taking the letter back and reading it with a sad heart...