Sequel: Faithfully Yours

Lots of Love, Mike

Officially a woman

Dear Stella

Your letter made me real sad and I was worried for you. I showed your letter to Billie Joe and he said I had to send you his love and that he feels the same way about the guy his mom has living here. He hates it but just tries to get on with it the best he can.

I hope you receive this letter in time for Christmas but I doubt it. If you do, have a great Christmas and if you don't I hope everything turned out OK in the end.

Why don't you speak to your friend Jessie? She seems like a real good friend.

I'm worried about you, write back soon.

Love from

Mike xxx

p.s. Sometimes I wish I could call you up but I have no money for the phone bill like you. I'm hoping to get part time work somewhere real soon so I think I'll save some and may be we could call each other up sometimes. I'd like that


Jessie was over at mine and I showed her the letter.

"What lovely guys," she said. "They both sound so cute and kind. Not like the boys at school at all and as for Gary, well I dumped him."

"Why?" I asked.

"We went to the cinema the other day and he.. well he was trying to get a feel down my top. I smacked him round the face and left him in the cinema alone" she said.

"Oh Jessie," I laughed. "You know what boys are like. They're only after one thing," I said.

"You'd better write back to Mike soon. He sounds worried about you," said Jessie.

"Yeah, I'll go and do it now," Stella said.

California...

"It's here," said Billie Joe bringing down the letter to Mike in the basement. "She must have written back real quick. Come on, open it up man and lets see how she is," said Billie.

Dear Mike

Firstly I am so sorry to have worried you. I was a little down just before Christmas but I'm a lot better now. How sweet of you to write back to me so quickly and say thank you to Billie for being so kind too.

Geoff has been OK really it's just that him and Mum are all over each other sometimes and I can't bear to look at them.

Christmas was fine in the end. Geoff gave me some more music books and I've got a special present for you to put in the post shortly as I didn't get round to sending you a present. I am going to go and wrap it up now for you and I shall send it in a few days. I get my pocket money tomorrow so I can afford to mail it to you then.

Thank you so much for the charm. It goes lovely with the other charms you gave me. The only time I take my charm bracelet off is when I get a bath or go to bed, other than that I wear it all the time. I can't believe you found a silver piano so small. It's so pretty.

I've got to take Fatso to the vets in a while so I'm going to end this letter now or I shall miss his appointment.

Sorry for worrying you again. Oh and please tell me how your concert went before Christmas. Sorry for not asking before.

Love from

Stella xxxxxxx


Mike was relieved. He silently handed over the letter to Billie who read it.

"She sounds a little better," said Billie. "Poor thing and she has no brothers or sisters, that right?"

"Yeah," said Mike.

Two days letter a parcel arrived.

Mike was alone in the house so he took the parcel through to the kitchen. Inside was a card.

Dear Mike,

Happy belated Christmas. I hope you like what is inside. Yeah I'm sure you will.

Love from

Stella xxxx

p.s. I've got some news about Jessie you'll just laugh!! I'll write soon.


Mike opened the parcel. It was Christmassy paper and was quite thin. Inside was a picture of Sid Vicious from the Sex Pistols. It was signed by the man himself. Fucking hell thought Mike.

A little piece of paper fell to the floor.

Mike

This is an original signed photograph of Sid Vicious. Geoff gave it to me and I immediately knew who would appreciate it more than me. Hope you like it.

Love from Stella xxxxxxxx


Mike actually had a tear in his eye. He couldn't believe all the fucking amazing stuff that this lovely girl was sending him. She was so kind and thoughtful, not like lots of the girls at school who were only out for themselves. Except Julie. Julie seemed different. I think Stella would be quite like Julie thought Mike. I'm going to ask Julie out tomorrow and I don't care what anyone thinks.

England...

"Hello Jessie," I could hear mum say 'go on up'. I heard Jessie's footsteps on the stairs.

"Happy Birthday! I can't believe you're now a teenager," said Jessie. "You look good, but don't let your mum see how much make up you've got on, she'll go nuts," she said.

"Oh she won't notice, she's too busy with Geoff," I said.

"Guess what?" said Jessie.

"What?"

"I started my period today."

"WHAT! But you're younger than me."

"Don't think that matters much," said Jessie. "I'm now officially a woman," she said strutting around the room.

"Oh shut up," I say throwing a pillow at her.

"What time did we say we'd meet the girls?" I ask.

"In about ½ an hour so hurry up. You look good enough to go to the cinema," she laughed.

"Yep I'm ready now," I say grabbing my bag and leaving the house. As I opened the front door I shouted, "bye Mum, bye Geoff, I won't be too late."

"Bye sweetheart. Have fun" I could hear from Mum. Geoff just said "Bye." I hurried out so that she couldn't see how much make up I'd got on.

A few days later...

Dear Stella

What can I say? The present was awesome. I was too scared to put it up on my pinboard so I've got it in a glass frame and it sits by my bed. Everyone thinks it's awesome. You are so kind.

Billie Joe has been making money, selling joints. Can you believe him? He does make a good joint though. Have you ever tried one? You should, they're very relaxing.

I forgot to tell you that I had to get an electric shaver as I now have whiskers coming and I've got a date next week. Please don't laugh. Her name is Julie and she is in my class. I can't go out on a date with whiskers can I? Especially if I get the chance to kiss her. Yep. I may be writing to you to tell you I've had my first kiss. Who knows?

How is Fatso by the way? You had to take him to the vets didn't you?

Enclosed is a photograph of me in the Sex Pistols t-shirt. If you look closely Billie Joe is hiding in the background behind the sofa.

Love from

Mike xxxxx

p.s. I forgot to tell you the Christmas concert at school was awesome. I loved playing in front of people. Billie Joe had to sing a song and he got a standing ovation. Some of the songs weren't that good as its not the stuff that we like to sing but I can't describe that feeling of being on stage and playing to people. I hope I get to do it again someday x


Stella examined the photograph and yep there was Billie Joe peeping out behind the sofa with his tongue sticking out. Mike looks so handsome in that T-shirt thought Stella. No. He's handsome full stop.

England...

"Guess what?" I said to Jessie. "Mike's got a date. His first date and he now has a shaver to shave off his whiskers," I said

"Big deal. Thought you had some exciting news," she said. It was to me.

"I have a date too," she said.

"Not Gary again?" I say looking at her.

"No of course not Gary," she said. "David."

"David Wilson," I said sounding shocked.

"The very same," said Jessie.

"But he's 15, Jessie."

"Yeah I know. Cool though isn't it?" she said looking excited.

"Where is he taking you?" I ask.

"To the cinema."

"You know what happened the last time you went to the cinema with a boy," I laughed.

"Yeah but this will be different. He's more mature," she said looking dreamily.

"Oh Jessie be careful," I said.

"He has a friend that said would make up a foursome with you," she said suddenly.

"I'm not sure," I said.

"Oh go on, it'll be fun."

"Who?" I asked.

"His friend Jack."

My stomach flipped.

"Jack Cooper?" I said.

"Yep," said Jessie.

"You're on I say." I'd liked Jack for ages.

California...

Dear Mike

Thank you for asking about Fatso. She has to take tablets now for the rest of her life as she has kidney problems but she should be OK. She is getting on a bit now and will be 9 this year. I love her so much she always seems to have been around.

How did your date with Julie go? Did you get to kiss her? I hope you shaved before you went out. I can't believe you have whiskers. Please send me a photo of you and your whiskers!

I have a confession that I am going out on a date too. He is called Jack Cooper and he is 15. I have liked him for ages so wish me luck. We are going out next week to the cinema with his friend and Jessie. I am a little nervous.

No I have never had a joint. Is it a cigarette? I don't like smoking at all. The smell is awful and it reminds me of my dad who always used to stink of smoke. Trust Billie Joe to sell joints. You do make me laugh with your Billie Joe stories.

Write soon,

Lots of love from Stella xxxxx

p.s. I don't want to embarrass you but I can now say that I am officially a woman - sorry.


"That's gross," said Billie Joe. "Does that mean she is now having her periods?" he said.

"I suppose," said Mike laughing. "What's wrong with that?" he laughs. "She tells me everything."

"Fucking hell I didn't think she'd tell you all that detail," said Billie Joe. Anyway what you doing telling her about your whiskers for? Fucking hell, you're nuts," he said laughing to himself.