If Only You Were

Gig...

“So, are you coming or not?” My best friend asked, rather anxiously, practically running for the door. His height was greatly hyperbolized, as I was on the floor and he was standing. He shifted his feet, antsy, and looked down at me, expecting an answer.

A sigh escaped my now agape lips. I might as well. Ray gets a little annoyed when I stay home by myself for hours on end. “Sure,” I mumbled, uncrossing my legs, and staggering upwards. Truth be told, though, I’d much rather not go. I took pleasure in being reclusive. I reached up to his hair and mussed it a little, lovingly. He was like a brother to me, and I didn’t want him even slightly mad.

Ray gave me a shrewd look, ruffling his hair back into its normal puffy chaos. “Alright. I’ll drive.” He swiped my car keys from a table--littered with coats, jackets, and other keys that it seemed to accrue--which stood solitary near the door leading outside.

On our way out, he told me, for the millionth time today, “It’s good you’re coming. Matt said they’re really, really good. Just a bunch of people fresh out of high school, but they’re still pretty good. Or at least that’s what he said. Guess we’ll find out then, won’t we?” Matt was another brother-like person to me. I mean, he wasn’t nearly as close to me as Ray, but he was still a pretty good friend.

I was rolling my eyes at Ray, though. Once something’s on his mind, it’ll stay forever. Ah, well. Got to love him, don’t I? After all he’s done for me. I’d probably be a common larcenist if not for him. He told me to get my act together. He convinced me to try.

Slumping into the driver’s side, Ray turned the key into the ignition. The whole car shook as the dated engine struggled to use the gas I’d filled inside the tank yesterday. Luckily, it decided to work today. I stepped into the passenger side and sat in the seat, avoiding the trash that littered the floor.

Ray shifted the rear-view mirror to fit his height, and shifted the gear from PARK to DRIVE, pulling the car away from the curb. It only took a few minutes to get to the run-down-looking club, and we were soon stepping out of my piece-of-shit car. We stood in a line near the entrance, waiting for the burly man to wave us in. We didn’t even have to flash our ID’s. We came in so often, Rick--the security guard--knew who we were and the two of us were soon situated in the midst of loud music blasting from an ancient speaker system.

A few seconds after entering our second most occupied hangout, Matt came rushing to us, holding three bottles of beer. He placed one in my left hand, and tried to get one in Ray’s, but he just shook his head. Ray was almost always the designated driver. Matt just shrugged, and drained the entire bottle in the space of twelve seconds. He shuddered, and went over to the bar to set down the empty bottle, then came back over to us with the remaining full one.

Not even remotely phased by his alcohol intake, he said, “The band’s supposed to play in like…10 more minutes. Apparently, their lead singer is late, but is supposed to get here soon.” Ray was already zoning out, checking out to many girls that hung around this place. Most of them were of our stature, or else were not of our stature and new here because they would not yet have realized that this place was FOR people of our stature. It took him maybe five seconds to find a college girl in a black that set off her raver-red hair and very full curves.

Being alone with Matt, I decided to nod at his answer, and pretend I actually cared. “Mkay, then.” That’s all it actually took to get rid of him. He, too, loved soaking in the unsuspecting girls. Him more than Ray, because Ray at least had some sense about him, probably coming from being 100% sober.

I wasn’t like them, though. I couldn’t just pick up a girl from a club. I wouldn’t know them. And I’m hardly attractive enough for the one night stand those girls anticipated. Even besides that, I was into guys more than girls nowadays, being a little more gay than bisexual.

They think it’s a phase that I’m just going through. At first, I was inclined to agree with them, but now I wasn’t so sure. It might be a ‘phase,’ but it sure as hell didn’t seem like one.

Ah, well--only time will tell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment thisssssss?
XD