Emmeline

The Lie

Jack poked his head inside the door to Mrs. Logan's office. She was a tall and slightly chubby blond whose smile was honest enough. Flashing that smile at Jack, she stood up.

"Come on in Mr. Porter," she invited.

Stepping awkwardly into the office, Jack stuck his hand out to shake hers. She smiled at him sincerely. He sunk into the chair and looked at her expectantly.

"Let's be candid, Jack," she began. "I want you to know you can trust me and nothing you say goes out of this room, ok?"

"I've got nothing to hide," he said nonchalantly lying.

"Well, good. Is there anything you'd like to tell me?" she pressed.

"Um, no, I don't think so." He shrugged and tried to look innocent.

"Sure about that?"

"Yes?"

"Well, a couple people have brought some concerns to me. Look, I know high school can be hard. Lord knows kids are jerks."

"Ah, they’re not so bad," he interrupted.

"Jack, then what's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"Jack, is there anything happening that would," she paused for a moment, "cause you to want to hurt yourself."

"No," he said with an incredulous snort. Jack's heart pounded like a music lover's car. He should have been used to lying about this by now, but it still never ceased to upset him. Maybe one day he'd just tell the truth, but they would probably put him in the loony bin.

"Would you care to uncover your arms?" she asked.

Jack looked down at the sleeves of his black hoodie and back up at her. He sighed and shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"Just so you know, you can't make me do this."

"I know, that's why I asked."

Jack rolled up his sleeve to reveal more than a few transparent raised scars. Some were lines, some small dots, way too many for someone normal. Mrs. Logan tried to cover her gasp. He laughed.

"Mrs. Logan, it's ok, really."

"Jack, why?"

"I fell through a window when I was a kid. So just in case you didn't know, this is what happens when you run through a sliding glass door."

"Oh," she said, obviously embarrassed.

"Don't worry about it," he said, tossing her a casual smile. "You're not the first one who's asked about it. I look totally emo, don't I?"

She chuckled to herself, scrawling out a pass. When Jack reached for it, he held onto it for a second.

"Just don't go running through anymore sliding glass doors, ok?"

Jack placed his right hand over his heart and his left hand in the air.

"I promise."

He took the pass from her and casually strolled out of the office. Jack was amazed at how smooth he could be at times. He was also ashamed at what a good liar he had become. Now, he was trying to decide whether to stay at school or ditch. Staying would be horrid, though he could hide at lunch. Ditching would create more rumors. So, he waited until the bell rang, then went to class like everyone else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? I lost my only subscriber. Sorry if I'm not updating fast enough or if it changed too much.