Raven Eye

Chapter Four: Followed

Raven stumbled down the river-side path. She was weak, especially after all the power she had used on the spider and on the mortal. It seemed like a bit of a waste actually. Raven entered the countryside. It was still very dark, but it wasn’t that late, only about eleven thirty pm.

From out the darkness, a creature flew down beside her. She braced herself, but it was only Roy.

“What are you doing here?” Raven asked as he morphed from bat into vampire form.

“I’ve been watching you from above. That was quite a skilful display you performed on that mortal! How did you do that?”

“Easy. I just used my powers. Don’t you have powers like that?”

“Ah, no. I’ve never seen a vampire with such power!”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“I’m not! Vampires don’t have, what’s it called, ah, telekinesis!”

Raven looked at Roy curiously. This was very strange news. She had always assumed that vampires had powers like she did. If Raven didn’t inherit her powers from her mother then that only left her farther, but that couldn’t be because he was a mortal!

“But, then how…”

“I don’t know.”

Silence pieced the night around them.

“You need to get back to you’re colony,” Raven announced after a moment.

“No,” Roy replied “I’m not going back.”

“You have to…”

“No I don’t. I don’t want to go back! I’d much rather stay with you.”

“You’re not serious. You don’t even know me!”

“Does that matter? Besides, you could do with the company…”

“I work alone,” she scowled.

“Hey! Just trying to be friendly!”

“Well don’t! I don’t do well with friends! Leave me alone.”

She walked off and Roy followed.

“What did I tell you Roy?! LEAVE ME ALONE!”

Raven summoned the final ounce of power from her body and using it she threw a ball of dark energy striate at Roy, winding him and sending him off balance. She began to walk away. She didn’t quite understand why she was refusing a companion. All she knew was that nothing good would come of it. Nothing ever did!

Winded, Roy called after her.

“Wait! I want to go with you!”

Raven ignored him and continued walking. He didn’t understand. He couldn’t get involved with her or he’d get hurt. No matter where she went, people always got hurt. But something in the back of her mind was begging her to go back. ‘He wants to go with you,’ the voice said, ‘you should let him, no one ever has before.’ ‘But it’s too dangerous,’ the other part of her said ‘he’ll get hurt or injured or worse. Besides you hardly know him, it wouldn’t be wise!’

“Raven!” Roy called again “I believe you and I want to help!”

Raven stopped but didn’t turn to face him.

“You can’t help me. No one can help me, it’s not meant to be.”

“How are you to know what is and what is not meant to be. I can help you Raven. Just let me try.”

Raven turned, her eyes glowing white again.

“Why would you want to help me?!” she said angrily. “I’m only half vampire, while you are full vampire. Half of me is mortal and mortals are vampires’ enemies. It’s like half of me is constantly battling the other half. I’m a reck, I’m unworthy, I’m scum, and no one wants anything to do with me so why should you be any different?!”

At that persist moment a huge black bat flew down in the middle of the argument. In a rush of wind it spun around and became a tall male vampire with a long black cloak and blood dripping fangs. He turned to Roy.

“Roy!” he boomed furiously “What the HELL do you think you’re doing running away from the colony like that! I had to send out a search party for you! You’re lucky that I found you before something else did!”

“Father, I’m sorry…”

“What are you doing on the ground, boy?!” he hissed. “You’re an embarrassment to our family, I expected more from you!”

Roy didn’t say anything but glared over his father’s shoulder at Raven as if he was begging for her help. The father turned to see what Roy was looking at.

“And who the hell are you?” he demanded.

The white light disappeared from Raven’s eyes. She puffed out her chest.

“I’m Raven Erskine!” she announced with pride.

The tall vampire looked shocked for a split second but that was quickly replaced with more anger.

“Raven Erskine is dead! Don’t play with me, girl! Who are you?”

“Did you actually SEE Raven Erskine die?” she asked coolly.

“She was banished from her colony and from the company of all vampires. Of corse she’s dead! No one can survive that long in this world on their own!”

“But you didn’t actually SEE her die! I hate to be the one who tells you that your wrong cause Raven Erskine is standing right in front of you!”

“Alright,” he said slyly. “If you’re Raven Erskine, then prove it! She had a unique birthmark on her side.”

“Gladly,” Raven said.

She pulled the side of her top up halfway and, sure enough, there was a birthmark that resembled a distorted raven on her side.

“Is that proof enough for you?” she grinned.

His eyes grew wide.

“You FILTHY half-mortal! You should have died when you had the chance!”

“Don’t forget the other half of me is vampire,” she said calmly.

The father looked down at Roy, then back at Raven.

“You attacked my son?!”

“Well, yeah. But only because he was following me, it was kind of annoying!”

“Father, it’s not like you think…”

“She attacked you Roy! That’s all I need to know. You maybe an utter disappointment but you’re still my son.”

Raven began to feel weak again. She had used every ounce of power she had and now she was feeling dizzy. Raven fell to her knees.

“What’s the matter, Raven? Get up!”

But Raven had no energy left. The world begun to spin around her and the last thing she remembered was Roy’s father leaning over her with a wicked smile upon his face before she sunk into unconsciousness.
♠ ♠ ♠
Umm, if you read this i wouldn't mind your feedback, even a few words would do eh.
Come on, I'll give you cookies! Haha. Thanks!

Umm, notes, notes. Ah well this chapter is basically Raven discovering that not only is she not normal, being half and half, but also she's not normal as far as half and halfs should go either. And also, she falls into even deeper trouble. What's going on here? Read next chapter coming soon and you might just see.