Dancing in Black and White Photographs

Phone Calls and Battle Wounds

So I got fired around noon today. When I got home, I found out that Claudia clawed the couch, drapes, and even her own little bed. That cat was always pissy when not fed.

I decided to take a nap; those always helped when I was in a bad mood. That only lasted an hour. I couldn’t stomach anything, so eating was out of the question. For the past two hours now, I’ve been pacing through my apartment, deciding whether to call the number on the notebook paper. I looked at the digital clock on the stove, finding out that it’s three-thirty, a reasonable time to call someone.

I picked up the phone and dialed the number on the paper. One ring, two rings, three and a half rings. “Hello?” a male’s voice answered.

“Hello, this is Corey Lane, I heard that you were in need of a photographer,” I was mentally slapping myself for being overly formal. I probably sound like one of those up tight prudes.

I heard some shuffling before a reply came, “Oh yes, you were the one who works for Vogue, right?” I had an urge to say worked, but decided against it.

“That would be me,” was my snippy reply. ‘Should have called tomorrow,’ I thought at how rude I was being.

Whoever this was paused before saying, “You have the job, you were the only one with actual high qualifying experience.”

At least I can’t say I didn’t receive a compliment. “When do I start?” I asked. Not really wanting to know, but also had to. I know it may seem that I don’t want this employment, but I really do. I just don’t know how to work in the music scene.

“Probably should show up for the press conference, or at least the after party,” he said. Even though I was rude to him, he was still being really polite. Bonus points for him.

They have after parties for press conferences? That’s weird. “I can do that, but can I have all the details for it?” I asked, being a bit more pleasant this time. He gave me the details for the press conference. When, where, why, and all those nice little niceties.

“So, when I get there, who should I contact?” I asked, not wanting to get lost or not let in. I can just see it, being that girl who looks desperate waiting outside. I could already feel my cheeks flush.

“I haven’t introduced myself yet. That was kind of discourteous, I’m sorry,” he quickly apologized to me. “My names James Michael, I’m lead singer and rhythm guitar.”

I could feel my face heat up, not used to having someone apologize to me. “No, it’s quite alright,” I said, not hesitating at all.

“Well you’ll probably need to get a hold of me, Nikki, or DJ,” he said as if I should know these people. I didn’t even know who he was until now.

“Ok,” I said rather unsurely. How was I to know which ones they were? The paper I got from Gemma says they will be with four other bands. Usually, bands have about five members
.
Claudia was being a nuisance by trying to get attention. ‘I’m having a dilemma Claudia, leave me alone.’

I heard a sigh from the other line. “I’m guessing you don’t know what we look like either?” James asked.

I was debating whether to answer truthfully, when Claudia jumped up and attacked my arm. “Ow! Fuck,” I yelped, not caring that I was still on the phone with my employer.

“Are you alright?” James asked me while I was checking out my battle wound.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I said, trying not to go over and clobber Claudia. That cat better hope I don’t catch her when I’m finished with this conversation.

“If you’re sure,” he said a bit hesitantly. “How about one of us wait outside for you, so you don’t get lost. I highly doubt we’ll need you for a press conference, but we would like to go over some things with you before the tour.”

‘Crap, I completely forgot about the whole touring thing, yeah we’ll definitely need to talk about that one,’ I cringed. “If it’s not too much trouble,” I decided to say, trying to play innocent with this. ‘What am I going to do with Claudia if I have to leave?’ I inquired to myself.

“Of course not, we’re starting to get piled high, so we kind of need a photographer,” he said reassuringly.

“Alright, then I’ll be there,” I said, still not so sure of this whole touring. ‘Poor Claudia,’ I thought dismally.

“I think that covers everything, if you need anything just call. Until then, I’ll talk to you later,” James said.

“Alright, bye,” I said. He quickly said good bye and that was the end of it. ‘This definitely should be interesting.’ I decided that Pocahontas was needed to cheer me up. I watch Disney movies all the time when I’m trying to feel better about something.

I walked over to my movie cabinet and picked out the DVD. I quickly set up the movie and flopped on to the couch when I was done. Even though I loved Disney movies, I never liked to admit it. Gemma knows but I still act like I don’t like them. I’m a bit insecure about it for some reason.

It was the middle of the movie, right where John Smith and Pocahontas are making out and Kocoum finds them, when I heard it. My Mission Impossible ring tone was shrilling out through the room. I groaned, irritated that I was at the best part of the whole movie. I looked at the caller-ID. Of course, it was Gemma.

“Hello,” I answered, deciding to amuse her, yet again. I heard some squealing and then nothing. ‘Mark must be over,’ I thought. Mark is Gemma’s boy toy for this month and he’s also her agent. I have a feeling this relationship will work out beautifully for them. Not only that but he’s thirty five and probably going to settle down here soon. Gemma, at her Twenty-two years of life won’t understand that. I shouldn’t be saying much since I’m Twenty-eight and still single. My last relationship was six months ago, and I’ve been too angry with the male gender to date yet.

‘Gemma’s going to need a new agent next month,” I sighed. ‘If I do go on tour, I hope I’m not here for that. See, Gemma wanted love; she just doesn’t know how to get it. She’s also probably having a near panic attack, since Nicko’s oldest model is twenty-three. ‘Gemma is, oh, so old,’ I thought sarcastically.

‘At least I don’t have to worry about that one anymore, ‘I thought. My face hardened a bit, ‘now my main problem is a bunch of rock stars. Oh, the joy I will feel.’ I also had a feeling something interesting was going to happen.

I decided Pocahontas wasn’t going to help anymore. I turned to regular TV, the news. I hate the news more than anything. Always depressing, good things are worth mentioning once in awhile. The news had a way of ruining my day. Oh wait, it’s already ruined, never mind, silly me.

I need more friends besides Gemma. I never really liked going out, which is probably the reason why I’m still single. I’m just a ball of energy, whether it’s positive or negative is an entirely different matter.

I really hope I don’t get distracted before the after party. That’s why I’m normally late; I always find something to do before hand. Now I just need to figure out where to go from here.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, yes this was a filler. I can't have her running around like she's god. She needs to know where and when things will happen. I hope it wasn't horribly boring being a filler. The next chapter we meet the whole band, it's the actual after party.