She Will Love You Through All The Lies

Part Twelve

"Hello?"

Kate sighed into the phone. "Tara, is Brian there?"

She heard Tara rustle around, making it sound like she was moving to a different room. When Kate heard a door shut on the other line she knew she had been right.

"No, Kate. Brian's not here. I haven't seen him for a few days." Tara answered, sounding very worried about her friend's.

Kate took a deep breath and sat down on the edge of their bed to stop herself from pacing around their finished bedroom. She took her left hand away from her mouth to stop chewing on her nails, a nervous habbit of hers.

"Kate?" Tara's voice came through the phone, an octive higher then usual.

Kate shook her head, she had been lost in a daze, another world where Brian was home instead of being somewhere that no one knew about.

"I'm here, sorry Tara."

She heard Tara move around again followed by the sound of a door opening and closing before she heard Tara begin to mumble something to Zack.

"Kate?"

"Hey Zack," she replied. If anyone knew where Brian was, it was his best-friend Zack.

"Tara said you were looking for Brian."

Kate stood up and walked out of the bedroom. "I don't know where he is Zack. Everything has been great between us since he's been home. It's been a month and we were back to how things used to be, and then a couple days ago he started to act so unlike himself."

Zacky was quiet for a few minutes. "I haven't seen him for almost a week myself, Kate. I'm assuming you called the rest of the guys first to see if he was there, right?"

Kate ran her left hand through her hair and then down her face, letting out a sigh. "Yes, and they've all said the same thing. I don't know what to do anymore Zack, I'm not going to go through the last couple of years all again. That hurt me beyond belief."

"I understand Kate. No one deserves that, especially you and everything you've ever done for him. Do you want to come over here, Tara and I would love it?"

Kate let a small smile grace her face and sat down at the dinning room table. "Thanks Zack, but I think I might stay here and see if he comes home tonight. If not then I'll be taking up residence in your spare bedroom tomorow evening."

Zack let out a chuckle, "just call beforehand so we can prepare the room for you."

Kate's heartbeat froze as a black car looking a lot like Brian's turned down their street. She jumped up off her chair and quickly walked to the front bay window. She was just about to tell Zack that Brian was home, but the car drove by and she realized that it was defiantly not Brian's vehicle. Her heart fell at the realization of that.

"Okay," she forced herself to speak.

"Hey, call me if you hear from him, okay? I'll do the same." Zack's voice softened even more than what it usually was when he spoke to her. Kate had always been like a sister to Zack. He had always found himself to be very protective over her and was very greatful that Kate and Tara had became best-friend when they had met back in high school.

"Okay, thank-you. Tell Tara I'll call her tomorow please."

"Alright Kate, take care and call if you need anything. Goodnight," Zack replied.

"Goodnight Zack." Kate hung-up their cordless phone and flung it on the table, outraged. She'd be damned if Brian Elwin Haner Jr. broke her heart again. She was not going to let that happen, or he would have hell to pay.
♠ ♠ ♠
Honestly, it's not the best update, but I felt that this story was due for one. Thoughts?