She Will Love You Through All The Lies

Part Fifteen

Kate woke up and crawled out of the bed she had been using for the past week in the spare bedroom of Jimmy's house. She stood up and made her way downstairs dressed in one of Jimmy's shirts and a pair of his boxers. She had never packed her own night clothes when she left her old home that she had shared with Brian for the last few years of her life.

When she reached the bottom of the stairs she peeked into the living room and saw Jimmy's head on the arm of the couch and made her way into the room. She flopped onto the couch after she picked up his legs and then replaced them back down onto her lap once she was comfortable.

Throughout all of the movement Jimmy's eyes never opened nor did he twitch one bit. She had shaken her head at him. He could always sleep through anything, even if the world was at its end he probably would sleep through that as well. Waking him up was almost impossible.

Kate begun to run her hand up and down his leg from his ankle to his knee absent-mindly as she stared off into space. She refused to let it show when Jimmy was around, but Brian was always on her mind. Since the day she left she had been crying herself to sleep every night. Whenever Jimmy wasn't around to keep her company she felt as if she were going to fall apart.

She felt absolutely horrible that she was relying on him to keep herself from falling apart and to keep moving on, but she had always been the rock. Since she was young she was always the shoulder everyone would cry on, and as much as her friends always said that they were there for her, she could never do that to them. She had always kept herself strong and her emotions in check while around friends and family.

But she had been doing that for far too long and she wasn't as strong as she used to be. She was falling apart and using Jimmy as her crutch. She knew in her heart and her mind that he didn't mind, and that's why she was at his place and not somewhere other than Huntington Beach, but that didn't change the way she felt.

Throughout her daze she didn't even realize that Jimmy had woken up and had been staring at her as she was lost somewhere in her own mind. She hadn't even noticed that a few tears had slipped past her eyes and were running down her slightly flushed cheeks. Kate hadn't realized that she had broken down in front of Jimmy when she had been trying so hard for the last week to keep her pain tucked away and hidden from him.

She scolded herself after another few minutes for thinking about Brian, but he had been in such a large chunk of her life that it was hard to just forget about him and everything they had gone through. She shook her head from side to side as if the thoughts of him would fly out of her mind and never return, but she knew as soon as she hit the mattress of her bed that night they would come spiralling back.

Kate turned her head to look at Jimmy and frowned when her eyes connected with his. Her cheeks began to feel hot as she wondered just how long he had been awake and how much of her breakdown he had witnessed. Her body began to feel heavier as her heartbeat began to increase drastically. She tried to pull her eyes from him but it was like a force she couldn't defeat.

"Come here Kate," Jimmy whispered as he moved so he was on his back and no longer on his side. Kate hesitated for a moment but when Jimmy's arms outstretched and called out to her, she moved from under his legs and crawled on top of him.

When her head was placed in the middle of his chest, Jimmy wrapped his arms around her back. Kate's right hand was placed in front of her face on the left of Jimmy's chest while her other arm was still at her side. She felt his left hand begin to run through her hair, down her back and up again. Her muscles slowly started to loosen up and she felt her body relax into his as her eyes closed.

Brian was never one to run his hands through her hair. Thinking back, she had only remembered him doing it once and that was when she was unbelievably sick to the point that she couldn't even move off the bathroom floor. They had always snuggled together, but he just had never shown that type of affection towards her. Kate felt her heart begin to hurt and squeeze at the memories that began to float back to her.

"It's okay to cry," Jimmy whispered into her hair as he wrapped his right arm around her tighter. "I know you've always been the strong one Kate, but sometimes you just need to let someone else be your rock."

Kate nodded her head and bit her lip, trying to keep her tears contained, but it was a miserable attempt. Jimmy was right, she had such a caring and loving heart, she had to let someone else be her shoulder for once, or all those locked into emotions were going to turn her heart to black coal. It was just so difficult to break a routine like that so quickly.

They laid on the couch together for the entire morning just holding on to one another. But when their stomachs began to rumble back and forth to one-another Jimmy pulled them up and walked into the kitchen.

Kate sat at the breakfast bar on a stool and watched Jimmy as he cooked them lunch. She felt laughter bubble out of her mouth as he placed a bowl of Kraft Dinner with cut-up hot dogs mixed throughout it in front of her.

Jimmy sat down next to her and they ate their lunch with a small chatter back and forth about small things that didn't really hold much importance to each other. They just wanted to hear one another's voices. Kate and Jimmy were slowly becoming very dependent on each other to keep their minds occupied.

Kate cleaned up their dishes when their bowls were empty as Jimmy grabbed drinks from the fridge and walked into the living room. Kate soon followed and flopped down onto the couch next to him as Jimmy turned on a movie.

"Jimmy?" she whispered before the previews started.

He turned his head to look at her and smiled.

"Will you come with me to go back to the house maybe tomorrow?" Kate's body began to slightly shake as she thought about having to go back there. Would it still be empty or would Brian be in there waiting for her return?

"I wouldn't let you go alone, just let me know when you want to go." Jimmy nodded once before placing a simple kiss to her forehead, not bothering to ask why Kate wanted to go back. He figured that she would tell him when she could and he was absolutely okay with that.

Kate slid down the couch a little and grabbed a throw-pillow before setting it on Jimmy's lap and then placing her head against the fabric of the pillow. She got comfortable once she was lying on her side and facing the television against the opposite wall.

Jimmy draped a light blanket over her body and began to run his fingers of his right hand through her hair as the previews for the movie flashed across the screen.

Jimmy and Kate were finally content -for the moment- with where their lives were. When they were together, that's all they needed to have their muscles relaxed and their hearts beating in sync, and no one could take that from them.