She Will Love You Through All The Lies

Part Seven

She awoke to the aroma of eggs, bacon and toast. She furrowed her eyebrows together and dug her head deeper into her pillow. She pulled her down blanket tighter around her and cocooned herself. A new waft of the breakfast aroma glided through their bedroom door, making her lift her head up. She yawned as she threw her arms up into the air, stretching, and then opened her eyes.

She looked down at her old Pantera shirt from high school and smiled. It was always her favorite shirt. She began her way towards the kitchen and smiled upon seeing Brian busy around the stove and kitchen buffet counter, clad in only his green plaid boxers. When he turned around, a smile spread across his face, "good morning, Sunshine."

Kate laughed and sat down on the other side of the buffet, "good morning." She watched him work around the kitchen for a few more moments and then set down a full plate of food in front of her. "Holy crap," she gasped at the mountain of food.

She heard Brian chuckle and looked up at him. "Eat up," he demanded with a smile as he began to fill his own plate and setting it down beside her. He poured them two glasses of orange juice and brought them to their spots and smiled as he picked up his fork. "I hope you like it."

Kate smiled and happily dug in. "Mmm," she mumbled as she took a bite of eggs. Scrambled- her favorite. Brian looked at her and smiled, pleased with himself for making her happy. He felt horrible for how he acted last night, treating her like she didn't even exist. He turned his head in the opposite direction of her and frowned, realizing just how guilty he actually felt, for the past couple of years.

"Kate?" She turned and looked at him, raising an eyebrow. "Did you ever..." he didn't want to ruin the moment, but this question had been eating at him, "did you ever want to leave me, these past few years at all?"

Kate swallowed the food in her mouth and looked down to her plate. She set her fork down and looked back up at Brian. "Yes," she frowned, looking him in the eyes. When it looked like he was going to say something, she decided to interrupt him. "I felt like you didn't love me anymore. It was like you had already left me, I had nothing left."

Brian frowned; he hadn't begun to eat yet. He didn't even have his fork in his hand, which he was grateful for because he would've dropped it at that moment. He turned his body to face her and wrapped her up in his arms. He held her close to his body and rubbed her back with his right hand. "I'm so sorry Kate," he whispered. "I hurt you so much; I didn't realize it until I came home."

Kate nodded her head and shut her eyes. She didn't know what to say. She couldn't say, 'it's okay' because it was far from being okay. She couldn't say, 'forget about it' because she didn't want him too- she couldn't and she didn't want him to either. He really had hurt her. She couldn't even say, what she would've said a few years ago, telling him to 'shove it' and leave, because she wanted to fix things. She was broken and she wanted Brian to put her back together again. She was so convinced that she needed him.

She pulled away, "Tara and I are going out for lunch today at noon." Brian nodded his head and smiled, delighted that his wife and her best-friend could spend some time together. "When I get home, which won't be too long, do you..." she trailed off, suddenly feeling nervous just like she used to in high school during a presentation. ”Do you want to spend some time together, like the rest of the night?"

Brian smiled even wider and nodded his head vigorously. "I'd love to baby," he leaned forward and kissed her right cheek. She smiled in return and picked up her fork, as did Brian. They were both eager to finish their meals before they became terribly cold, but even more eager for later that night.