Jinxed Things Ringing

New Soul

"Genviève!"

I looked to my left, my right, and then across the street, where Roger was frantically waving his arms. I waved back. He ran across the street to meet me.

"So how's my favorite French ghost hunter?" Roger asked with a smirk. I laughed.

"A little disappointed," I scrunched up my nose. "Nothing has happened yet,"

"Good," Roger said bugging out his eyes.

"But I want something to happen! Anything!" I exclaimed.

"Well...," Roger said slowly.

"You know how to get something to happen, don't you?" I shot out at him. He swallowed and looked away.

"It's better if I don't tell you-" Roger sighed.

"It's better if you do," I folded my arms.

"Listen Jonny, I really like you and don't want to see you le-"

"You like me?" I asked with a big smile mocking him.

"Shut up," he said shoving me. I laughed.

"Tell meeeee," I pleaded.

"You promise you won't leave?" He asked, his face almost begging.

"Y-yeah," I said.

"Try provoking it...maybe it'll respond," Roger shrugged. I thought for a second and nodded. "Where you headed off to?" Roger asked.

"Dry cleaners. I sent some stuff to get cleaned. I have to stop by a hardware store too," I said.

"May I join you?" Roger asked. I nodded. We arrived to the dry cleaners and picked up my sheets and drapery. Roger offered to carry it, so who was I to deny his help?

We quickly stopped by the hardware store, where I pulled out my sheet of paper that Pop told me I would need to change the pipes.

We finished up the shopping and headed back to my house, when Roger suddenly stopped at Kene street.

"What?" I asked him.

"This is where I turn back Jonny," Roger said with a lopsided grin.

"Oh come on! At least walk me to the door!" I say rolling my eyes.

"Listen Genviève...I've grew up here...I just don't have good experiences with this place," Roger said nervously. I could see he was getting uncomfortable, so I thanked him and took my things and walked down the street and into the house.

The front door was open, probably to air out the house. I dropped everything on the floor. The drapery landed with a loud thud.

"Nice," Damien said as he peered over the banister.

"Oh shut up. It's in it's case, it won't get dirty," I say catching my breathe. "It weighs a ton! The material is so thick!" I exclaim. "But worth it," I grin. Damien rolls his eyes.

"I put the toolbox in your room. You still remember how to change the pipes?" he asked. I nodded. I printed out a manual online. I gave one big heave and lifted up my things and treaded upstairs one step at a time.

"Genviève!" Ma appeared in the foyer and I stopped and turned around. "When will you clean up the furniture? I need to make up my mind so I can buy new ones," she smirked at me.

The front door slapped shut. My eyes lit up and I smiled big.

"Ma! It's a sign! Obviously whatever is still here loves it as much as I do!" I squeal. Ma rolls her eyes.

"Well you'll need all the help you can get to clean those couches up. They're very antique, but collect dust like nothing else," she said and walked off. She knew the house's reputation as well, so I guess it was no shocker for her to have this happen.

"Once I get my room set up...I'll..come...back...down," I said to myself as I heaved the things up the stairs.

Suddenly my load felt lighter. It didn't feel so heavy anymore.

My heart started beating very hard. I kept walking as if nothing out of the ordinary was happening.

Don't panic.

If you panic, you lose sensible action.

As I continued walk with my lighter load, I couldn't help but smile slightly. Something was right next to me...helping me..

I chuckled to myself as we continued our way to my room. When I got to the step of my room, the load instantly felt heavy again and my arms dropped down.

I rolled my eyes. I picked up my things and went up the stairs...but not before turning around and saying out loud,

"Thanks,"

I hung up the curtains and drapes up and set the sheets and cushions and comforter on the new mattress on my bed.

"Now to the bathroom," I say grabbing my plastic bag. I went into the bathroom to indeed see that the toolbox was waiting to be used.

I got to work. As I was unscrewing a bolt, I felt a chill on my ankle. Thinking it was a web of some sort, I reached over absentmindedly and brushed off my skin.

My fingers felt something cold as it reached my ankle. I froze.

"No problem,"

I jumped at least ten feet in the air. I jerked my head around. The blood pounding through my ears, I waited silently hoping to hear something else again and praying that I wasn't imagining anything.

"Christ!" I say clutching my heart.

"Give me a warning before you feel me up," I say casually with a smirk.

I go back to work and decide to talk in case it was still there.

"Well at least I know you're a boy..." I laugh. I stop with a serious face abruptly. "I hope.."

A chuckle.

My mouth was hurting from smiling so big, but I didn't stop working. I didn't want it to leave.

"Do you think you can show me yourself?" I asked shortly.

No reply.

I didn't mind. At least I got more than one response from it today. I started humming "New soul" by Yael Naim and then stopped.

"How fucking cliche," I laughed thinking about the lyrics. Being my goofy self I yelled the lyrics out obnoxiously.

"I'M A NEW SOUL, I CAME TO THIS STRANGE WORLD, HOPING I COULD LEARN A BIT BOUT HOW TO GIVE AND TAKE-"

"You're mean,"

I giggled. "Psh, like you could do better Casper,"

I twist the piping onto the spot where I took the rusted one off and set it at my side.

The rusted pipe moved slowly by itself to a small bin and jumped in.

"Thank you," I said sweetly.

Half an hour later I got up brushing off my hands. I tested the sink...the gurgling returned and a few clanks- but water came out at first the same ruddy color...but then slowly came out clearer and cleaner.

"Well my work here is done. I'll see you later Casper," I winked to the room, while walking to the stairway.

As I turned my head I gasped loudly and covered my mouth.

There he was.

Standing in front of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Genviève is pronounced "Jhon-vee-ev"

Sorry if this one was short. Battery is running low on laptop and it's 2:43 AM.