His Little Drummer Girl

That she's your kid

Jen was just getting her coat on to leave when there was a heavy pounding at the door.

"Who the hell is that?" said Sammi coming out from the Kitchen.

She opened the door and there was Charlie and his mum standing there.

"Charlie? Carol? What is it? Where's Francesca?"

"They've not been to a party at Zoë's at all" said Carol disappointedly. "They've been round at that Josh Street's house all night. Francesca is still there. Charlie couldn't get her to leave. He's a bit worried as he thinks she's had something to drink."

"What? Not Francesca surely?" Sammi felt sick.

"I'm sorry Sammi. She really wanted to go to Josh Street's party so we told a lie so that we could go. I didn't really want to go but said I'd go so that I could keep an eye on her. She took some vodka from your house and I think she's drunk some. She wouldn't come home when I said to and Josh was being awful."

"Oh my god. Let's get round there" said Sammi grabbing her house keys. "Come on Jen, come with me" she said turning to her sister with panic stricken eyes. As she turned back to leave the house a police car pulled up outside... .

... California - a sunny afternoon

"So" said Billie Joe to Tre
"Why don't you think Sammi wanted to come back with you then?"
They were driving home from the store after getting some provisions for the afternoon. They were spending the day at Billie Joes and Adrienne was having a barbeque and the kids were going to play in the pool. Billie and Tre had offered to go get the beers and some extra bits of food and they were on their way back home.
Tre sighed. "Not sure buddy" he said to his dear old friend. "It really knocked me for six you know, cant believe she didn't want to come back. Still. You win some you lose some" said Tre tapping along to Nirvana playing on the CD player trying to act casual but feeling sad at the mention of Sammi's name.

"She's such a lovely girl and her kid, Franky. Cute kid. Talented" said Billie
"Yeah we got along real good."
"How old was she again? She can certainly play the drums well" said Billie
"Mmmmm lets think, 13, 13 ½ can't remember now exactly."
"Well Sammi couldn't have pined much for you after you left you know. Work it out, she must have met someone pretty quick after you went. Franky must have been born about 9 months later."
"Yeah I suppose you're right. She doesn't seem the type though and she said she didn't meet anyone else after I'd gone.

They stopped at the lights then and Billie Joe glanced across at Tre. "You thinking what I'm thinking?" he said
"What are you thinking?" said Tre
"That Franky's your kid" said Billie. "What are you thinking?"
"That Franky's my kid" said Tre, suddenly stunned.
"Fuck" they both said together.
"Yep, come to think of it she has got your eyes" said Billie
"But not my nose, thankfully" said Tre
"She laughs like you" said Billie remembering. "and she sure has your talent and I think maybe her name gives it away... "

Tre didn't say anything else for the rest of the journey...

At Sammi's House...

Two policemen came walking down the path. Sammi felt sick. "Mrs Ellis" one of them said.
"Yes" replied Sammi calmly
"Could we come in. We have some news for you" said the other policeman
Sammi went into the Living Room she knew this had to have something to do with Franky but what?

"Is your daughter's name Francesca Jennifer Ellis?" said the policeman
"Yes it is. Look what's this all about" said Sammi getting annoyed now
"I'm afraid she's been taken into hospital. She collapsed at a party and an ambulance was called. She's unconscious I'm afraid"

"Oh my god, no!" said Sammi. "Please tell me what happened. Will she be ok?" she said her eyes wild

"We don't know anything else other than she's in City Hospital and is unconscious. We've come to take you there Mrs Ellis. We also have to warn you that there have been some serious allegations regarding drugs. We believe your daughter has taken some illegal substance at this party and the matter is being looked into."

"No way" said Sammi. "Franky wouldn't do such a thing. She's a good girl." Sammi was crying uncontrollably. "Please. Jen. Tell them. She wouldn't do that. I want to see her. Take me to see her, please"

Charlie and Carol had gone by this point, stunned by the news. Jen guided Sammi out to the police car and they sat in the back and got taken to the hospital.

Jen looked over at Sammi. Her face was ashen white. 'Fucking hell' she thought what's been going on tonight.

They were guided in to a hospital room where all that could be heard were the bleeps from the monitors.

"NO!" Sammi shouted rushing over to Francesca who was lying in bed. "NO!".

Jen followed her in. It wasn't a pretty sight. Francesca was laying in a huge bed with a massive tube inserted into her mouth and wires connected everywhere. Her eyes looked real puffy and swollen and her skin had a strange purple tinge around her mouth. She looked so young and innocent lying there. The machinery was bleeping eerily. Everything was clinical and white - like a mortuary was the first thought that came into Jen's head.

Sammi was desperately hanging on to Francesca's hand, brushing back her hair from her forehead and kissing her face. "My baby, my baby what has happened to you? What have they done? Who did this to you?" She dripped tears all over her daughter.

"Mrs Ellis?" said an elderly Scottish doctor coming into the room.
Sammi just nodded wiping her tear stained face on her sleeve
"I'm Doctor Gordon and have been looking after Francesca since she came in. We need to take some details from you and explain the situation."
"Please tell me she will be alright" said Sammi almost begging him. "She will wont she?" she said pleadingly
"Mrs Ellis. This is a very serious matter" said Doctor Gordon. His manner was gentle but Sammi didn't really notice his manner, she was only interested in what he had to say.

"It seems Francesca has mixed alcohol with drugs. She was unconscious when she was brought in and hasn't regained consciousness yet and won't for some time."
"What do you mean?" asked Sammi.
"Well we've completed some tests on Francesca and also we've had a brain scan done. It seems there is quite a bit of swelling on the brain. We've sedated her until the swelling goes down. The first 24 hours are critical. The swelling has to go down. After that the next 48 hours are quite serious too. After about three days we should know the affect of any damage, if any. I'm sorry Mrs Ellis it is just a waiting game for now."
"You mean to tell me she could die?" sobbed Sammi. "No. No. This cant be happening. Not Francesca."
"Mrs. Ellis I'm sorry. You must prepare for the worst but there is still a very good chance of recovery."

The nurse seemed quite oblivious to all what was going on. Calm, as though it was an everyday occurrence thought Jen.

Doctor Ellis left the room and it was just the three of them and the nurse sitting over in the corner.

Jen went over to sit next to her sister and put her arms around her. "Oh Jen" sobbed Sammi. "What if she dies? She's too young to die. What will I do without her? She's my life Jen I need her. She can't die she has her whole life ahead of her. It's not fair. Where did she get these drugs? Who would do this to her?"

Jen couldn't even answer her sister. She just sat cradling her and stroking her hair.

They sat there for what seemed like ages just watching the unmoving Francesca when suddenly Sammi sat up and said. "Jen. I have to call Tre. He has to know about this."...