His Little Drummer Girl

Its going to be OK

Sammi woke with a start and glanced over at the alarm clock on the side. The red digits glared out at her. 18:00. She sat bolt upright, glanced over at Tre who was sleeping soundly, reached for her robe and went downstairs.

She called the hospital and spoke to the duty nurse who informed her that there was no change in Francesca and that there was a tall blonde American guy there with her and Jen's sister who she remembered from earlier. "Bless them," thought Sammi replacing the receiver and going into the Kitchen to put the kettle on.

Suddenly she felt big strong arms around her. "Couldn't sleep knowing that you weren't in the bed," He said.

"Cup of tea?" she asked him, "Or do you still hate English tea?"
"It tastes like piss" said Tre.
"Coffee then?" Sammi said
"English coffee tastes like piss too" he said laughing
"Well your choice is tea piss or coffee piss. Take your pick"
"Coffee piss then," he said
"Anyway I've heard that your American chocolate tastes like shit. Not like ours," said Sammi
"Yeah it does taste like shit compared to yours," said Tre
"Well that settles it. I'm not coming to America unless you can guarantee me some good old English tea bags and an English chocolate fix at least once a day!"
Tre laughed and looked at her. "Its good to see you laugh a little" he said.

They sat at the kitchen table and then Sammi suddenly got up and started rummaging around in a cupboard.

"What are you doing?" said Tre
"I've got something here for you," she said.

She brought out what looked like a photo album and laid it in front of him.

"I started doing this for you when I became pregnant in the hope that I'd get to see you sometime and be able to show you. Except I never got to see you and this album just grew and grew."

Tre opened the album and the first picture he came across was of Sammi, hugely pregnant. She was positively glowing but still looked gorgeous.

"Nice ass even when pregnant" said Tre sweetly. He carried on looking through the album. There was absolutely every photo of Francesca imaginable. There were newborn shots; there was some of Francesca crawling, and then walking. There was one of when she had cut her first tooth and next to that a shot with her front two teeth missing. There was some of her first day at nursery and her first day at school. "Ah just look at her here" said Tre. "I just love the English school uniform, all ready to be rebelled against" he laughed. Then he got more serious as there were photos of Francesca playing drums in concerts, Christmas photographs and birthdays. A tear came into his eye as he realised all he had missed out on. Sammi took his hand and they continued looking at the album for a bit laughing at the fashions and hairstyles. Suddenly Tre went back to the baby photograph. "She really does look like me when I was a baby in that shot" he said. Then he stood up. "Come on Sammi. Lets go get dressed and visit her."

They phoned for a taxi, quickly got dressed and headed out the door when Sammi remembered something and ran upstairs. She came down with this grey looking toy rabbit with holes in that had definitely seen better days. She'll never forgive me if I don't take this she said. "This is Buck," she said. "You'd best get familiar with him as he has been in the family as long as Francesca" then she handed Buck to Tre who gave it a little sniff then stuffed it in his pocket...

... At the hospital Mike and Jen were outside the room.

"Any change?" they both asked them.

"It may be good news," said Jen. "Doctor Gordon has said the brain swelling has gone down slightly and that is a good sign but they wont know any more for a couple more days."

Sammi started crying then and Tre guided her into the hospital room. Francesca still looked the same, no better, no worse. They sat next to the bed holding her hand and each other's, two parents watching their sick child.

Jen yawned.

"Tired?" asked Mike. "Yes very" she said. "Its all been so emotional over the past couple of days and being with you at the hotel hasn't helped" she said fluttering her eyes at him.

"What are we gonna do?" said Mike
"I'm going to have to tell Peter," replied Jen. "I just have to find the right time and the right words. Don't worry" she reassured Mike. "It'll be very soon and then we can be together. When is your gig in Scotland? I want to tell him before you go."
"Its on Saturday. Billie Joe is flying in on Friday. Adrienne isn't coming over this time"

"So I've got four days before I tell him. He's on business until Wednesday so it'll have to be Wednesday night then."

"What about the boys?" asked Mike.
"I'll tell them as soon as I've told Peter. I'm sure they've been expecting it, they know we don't get on and haven't done for years"
"I'm sorry for you," said Mike giving her a hug.

Jen yawned again. "Look I'm going to have to go home and sort out some stuff," she said. "Call me later when you're at the hotel and I'll come on over". They kissed briefly and then Jen popped her head in the door to say goodbye.

Mike watched her go off down the corridor and couldn't believe his luck. He remembered the night in 1992 when they'd slept together. He really liked her but she was about to get married and he just thought she wanted one last fling. She'd haunted him for years but he didn't really pursue anything. If Tre and Sammi had got together all those years ago it would have been inevitable that they would have met up at some point. It was sad that the marriage didn't last and that kids were involved but hey shit, these things happen. He remembered asking her all those years ago about leaving England to go with him. She'd turned him down straight off. She could be a bit prim and proper and who was he but a budding punk rock star from America compared to a lawyer. Oh well. I think I came out the more successful one in the end thought Mike.

Tre and Sammi sat with Francesca nearly all the time. They occasionally popped home to Sammis to have a bite to eat, freshen up and try to sleep. They slept together in each other's arms on and off over the next few days but nothing happened.

On the Wednesday Dr Gordon approached them and said the results of the brain scan were in and that the swelling had reduced significantly enough for them to stop the ventilation machine and start trying to wake Francesca up.

Sammi was scared. All the while she was on the ventilator she knew that this was what was keeping her alive. The ventilator would go off and then she might die. Tre was apprehensive but knew that this couldn't go on forever.

It was just after 11am when Doctor Gordon and the team of nurses came and switched off the machines and wheeled them away from Francesca. She looked much better already without the wires and tubes everywhere. Come on baby thought Sammi. Wake up and be ok. Please, for us. Tre wants to get to know you properly and we can be a family. I want to tell you all about Tre. Your father.

They sat for an hour before anything happened though Tre swore he saw her eyelids flicker before then. Francesca started making a groaning noise as she came round. Her eyes slowly flickered open. "Francesca. Francesca. It's Mum. It's OK. Mum's here baby. Its OK"

Tre just looked nervously on. Then he noticed Francesca's eyes were open and she was looking at him wondering what on earth was going on and what he was doing there...

Franky's POV
God my head hurts and that light is bright. My body aches. Those lights are bright in the room. Really bright. There are people standing around. Best open my eyes properly and take a look. There's Mum and someone is with her. Mum is talking to me but I can't quite understand what she's saying. Now someone else is speaking. It sounds like Tre. It can't be Tre he is in America. But yes, there is Tre sitting next to my mum. What is Tre doing here?

"Mum?" I said. My voice was really croaky and my throat dry.
"Yes honey?" Mum sounded panicky. I'm confused now. Where the hell am I? This is not my bed and there is no Billie Joe poster on my ceiling, I can't be at home then. This looks more like a hospital.

"Where... .?" My throat was so dry; it hurt a bit to talk
"Don't talk now sweetheart. It's OK. Mum and Tre are here. You've just woken up from a deep sleep. Everything is fine." Mum was crying now, what the hell was going on.
Suddenly someone was coming over and poking a little light into my eyes. Ouch that hurt. They were taking my temperature and pulse. What were they doing that for?

I remembered being at a party with Charlie and Billie Joe. No of course it wasn't Billie Joe it was Josh Street. We had some drinks and.. Oh no! Josh gave me some of those sweets that I'd had at Milton Keynes. They were drugs Tre, Billie and Mike had said. Why had I taken them, was I drunk? Yes I was. I'd taken mum's vodka and had drunk loads of it. Shit. The vodka and drugs must have made me ill. I'm ashamed. I close my eyes and can't look at Mum anymore.

A Doctor came into the room to give me the once over. "Everything seems fine Mrs Ellis. It looks as though Francesca has made a complete recovery though she'll be in hospital for another couple of days and then you'll need to rest at home young lady" he said looking over at me.

Yeah. Whatever. I thought. Now Mum and Tre are all over each other hugging and crying. God this was embarrassing. I look down and see a white thin robe that I'm dressed in. My boobs are nearly hanging out of it. How awful. I hope Tre hasn't seen my boobs. I must look like a wreck.

I wish Mum and Tre would let go of each other. How come he's back? Is Billie Joe here? I hope he is and that he hasn't seen me in this getup. Look at them, all over each other. Mum looks terrible, she could have put a bit of make up on and Tre, why does he look so rough...