His Little Drummer Girl

Mike & Jen's nightmare

It was Thursday and Sammi was making some breakfast in the kitchen. Tre was asleep upstairs.

I am so happy thought Sammi boiling the water for tea. Tre is upstairs and Francesca is coming home tomorrow. I've decided to tell Tre that I definitely want to go back to America with him and I can't wait. She wrapped her robe around herself, contented and thought back to the previous evening.

They had left Francesca at six in the evening as she was getting tired. They'd explained to her all that had happened at the party. They said they hadn't blamed her but it had been so dangerous she'd nearly died. Francesca cried for a while and was so apologetic but she was quite sure that Josh hadn't touched her intimately. She was getting tired so they decided to leave her for the evening and told her to get a good night's sleep and that they would be back first thing in the morning.

They both went home in a taxi, hand in hand and happy. They sat at the table with a Chinese takeaway and I opened a bottle of wine.

"Cheers, honey," I said to Tre, holding up my glass.
"Cheers, sweetheart," he replied tapping it against mine. "Here's to Francesca and us. Is there an us?" he said, raising his eyebrows with that cheeky expression I was so fond of.
"Yes there is most definitely an us," I said stuffing noodles in my mouth.
We continued eating for a while then I knew it was time for me to tell him.
"Tre?"
"Mmmmm," said Tre, finishing up his egg rice.
"Does that offer still stand?"
"What offer, babe? Have I offered you anything? My body? What?"
"Oh Tre, you know what I mean. The offer for me and Francesca to come to live with you in California."
"Now, let me see," said Tre, scratching his chin. "Let me think." I playfully slapped him.
"Tre, behave," I said, laughing.
"I think the offer is still on," he said seriously, "but there are a few conditions."
"What are they?" I said.
"That you wash my socks, let me wear my eyeliner to bed, you don't make me drink English tea piss stuff and you share your English chocolate. Oh and I'll let you wear your black toenail varnish and you have to let me kiss your tattoo whenever I want."
"That all?"
"For now," he said.
"That's a done deal then," I said and we went back to the Chinese.

It was inevitable that we would end up in bed. We'd slept together just cuddling up for the past few nights without anything happening as our minds were on what might happen to Francesca so we hadn't given in to our passions, it would have been wrong, but tonight was different. Everything was fine again.

The first time we made love after 13 ½ years was wonderful, better than I'd dreamt it would be and, as always Tre was just so gentle and passionate. Amazing.

"Tre, I have a confession to make," I said afterwards.
"What's that, babe?" he said, stroking my stomach.
"I haven't been with another man since you. Only on a couple of dates but- no sex."
"What? You're kidding. Sammi, it's been over 13 years. You're telling me that's the first time since... since..."
"Yeah, you," I said, looking into his eyes.
"How come?" said Tre, quite shocked by this revelation.
"I just never met anyone else that I wanted to go to sleep with," I said, "and what with having Francesca around, things were difficult, it's as simple as that."
"I'm afraid I can't make the same confession," said Tre. "I've had a few women since you."
"Of course. You got married and had a couple of kids unless they are miracle births and anyway, I know how much you loooooooove sex."
We laughed happy in each other's company. I felt I could tell Tre anything...

Tre came down to the kitchen. He was as gorgeous as ever even when bleary eyed and with his hair everywhere.

"I had a nightmare that I couldn't locate your tattoo," he laughingly said whilst putting his arms around me.

"Why do you always smell good?" I asked him.
"Beats me," he said, shrugging.
"Do you know, apart from your eyes, that's what attracted me to you," I said. Why the hell had I said that?
"You're kidding? Guess what the first thing was that attracted me to you?" he said.
"What?"
"That ass," and he slapped me on the backside. "Oh, and that English accent. I love it when you talk dirrrrrty. Say something dirty."
"Tre!" I said.
He went in for a kiss, but the phone started ringing.
I picked up.
"Sammi!" Before I'd even answered, it was Mike on the other end.
"Mike? What's wrong?" He sounded distraught.
"Something awful has happened. Peter caught Jen and me in bed together at the hotel early this morning. He drove off and crashed the car. He's dead, Sammi. Get Tre for me please, I don't know what to do."