His Little Drummer Girl

Adrienne pisses Franky off

Two days later...

We are at Billie Joe and Adrienne's. Adrienne keeps looking over at Sammi...

"You ok Adi?" I ask.

Everyone else is in the garden and we are getting drinks.

"I'm fine Sammi but are you?" she said with a twinkle in her eye.

"What do you mean?" I say sort of knowing what she's getting at.

"Have you anything you want to share with me?" she laughs.

"What, that I'm pregnant," I say. There, it was out.

"Thank God for that, I've been wondering for days, when did you find out officially?"

"Officially the day after we got married"

"Ah, that brings back memories. I found out I was pregnant with Joey the day after Billie Joe and I married."

"I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to register and have a check. Once it's made official then we shall tell everyone"

"How far along do you think you are?" she asked

"You know I'm not sure. I'm sort of thinking about 4 months."

"Four months?"

"Yeah. I think we made this little person back in August," I said rubbing my stomach

"Wow. Does Franky know yet?"

"No not yet. We're going to tell her as soon as it's been made official by the doctor."

The next day Doctor Morgan took some bloods from me, took blood pressure and examined me and confirmed that I was actually 4 ½ months pregnant. So little junior here must have been made before California. Probably when Franky was in hospital. The first time we did it after so long. How wonderful.

Doctor Morgan booked me in for a scan and Tre and I went along to the scan department to see our baby on the screen.

Tre was so excited he had a tight hold of my hand and when we saw the baby on the screen I swear he had a tear in his eye. "Would you like to know the sex?" asked the nurse.

We looked at each other.

"Why not?" we both said.

"Well it looks like you're having a baby boy and he looks very healthy to me," said the nurse.

We were over the moon and by the time we'd got home we'd discussed names and had agreed that he would be called Samuel Edwin Wright and we couldn't wait to meet him.

Franky's Point Of View

I'm so excited. Mum has just told me that I'm having a little baby brother in a few months and he is going to be called Samuel. I've always wanted a real brother or sister and now I'm going to get one. This is so perfect. I am so happy at the moment. I've also got a letter from Charlie. He's coming over again soon in the school holidays and I just can't wait to see him.

Sammi's Point Of View

Tre is so attentive it's unbelievable. He hardly lets me lift a finger around the house. He keeps buying little gifts and things for Samuel. He kisses my bump all the time and sings to it too! I have never seen Tre look so happy. He said the other day while we laying on the bed together, hand as usual on Samuel that he never thought he could be as happy and was a little worried that family life wouldn't suit him after his two failed marriages. The only downside is that we couldn't have been together before now. But who knows it may have not worked if we'd stayed together originally. Now it works just fine and we are both so happy we can't wait for our baby to arrive to make our family complete.

Two months later...

Sammi and Tre in bed...
Its pitch black and the alarm clock glares 2am at me and I'd been tossing and turning for ages. Franky is over at Jen's for the evening. Her boys wanted a sleepover and a group of them are hanging out there. It was nice to have some time to ourselves. I've been so tired lately that Tre and I just spent the evening watching movies and eating pizza.

"You having trouble sleeping honey?" Tre said to me. I was obviously keeping him awake. "Too much pepperoni?" he laughed

"Yeah I'm a little uncomfortable and a bit hot. I think I'm going to get myself another glass of water. Sorry for disturbing you, you go back to sleep babe," I said trying to get up out of bed

"No, I'll get the water, why don't you go and splash your face with some water to cool off. We can watch the TV for a bit if you can't sleep. I don't mind."

"OK," I said. "I'd like that."

Tre went off to get the water and I got up to go to the bathroom but as I did I felt a trickle of liquid between my legs and I was doubled over with a stomach cramp. It caught my breath. So much so that I cried out but nothing came out. I was racked with pain so I just held on to the bedpost waiting for Tre to come back.

"Sammi!" said Tre entering the room. "Oh my God babe, you're bleeding," he said looking down.

I look down too; there is blood between my legs and on the carpet.

"Tre. I can hardly breath. The pain. It's real bad. Oh Tre. I'm scared."

"Its ok honey," said Tre fairly calmly.

"Tre, our baby. Please. Do something. Help me."

Tre suddenly scooped me up and carried me downstairs and out to the car. He laid me on the back seat then he got in and drove like mad to the hospital.

"Tre I'm really scared," I said from the back seat.

"Its OK honey, I'm here," he replied. I could see his eyes in the rearview mirror. He looked scared too.

When we got to the hospital I was helped into a wheelchair and a nurse took me off to a cubicle. They conducted a scan and the nurses and doctors were running about all over the place. They gave me something for the pain so that was a little easier and I could breathe better.

"Mrs Wright" said the doctor. "It looks like you have gone into premature labour. There's nothing we can do to stop it so your baby will be born tonight. He will probably be put into an incubator as its highly unlikely that he'll be able to breath for himself as his organs haven't formed properly."

Tre was pacing up and down running his hands through his hair. He was in such a state but suddenly I felt calmer.

He came over and we hugged. This was it. Our baby was going to be born early and would probably be in an incubator for a few months. We could cope. We could get through this.

The labour was so long and painful and I could see the doctors getting anxious. Suddenly there was a panic, as they couldn't detect Samuel's heartbeat. They told me that I was going to have to have an emergency caesarean. Tre looked pale. I felt sick but shouted out, "Please just get my baby out and into the incubator so we can take care of him."

When I came round all was quiet. The room was quite dimly lit. Tre was there. He was holding my hand.

"Hi baby," I said sleepily

"Hello you" he replied taking my hand. His voice was all croaky. He looked absolutely dreadful. His hair was all over the place and his eyes were red and swollen.

"Honey," he said stroking my hair from my forehead. He looked pained. "It's not good news"

"What do you mean? Where is Samuel?" I said looking around

"Sammi listen baby. Samuel didn't make it. He wasn't strong enough. He died sweetheart before they could get him out of you." Tre's eyes filled with tears.

"No! I don't believe you. Stop it Tre. Where is he?"

"Sammi I'm not lying honey"

"NO! Tre! Our baby. Our poor Samuel!"

I was distraught. I was slapping at Tre and he was just taking it and crying too. The sobbing must have gone on for ages.

After I'd calmed a little I demanded to see Samuel.

Tre was shocked. "Let's see him in a while Sammi," he said.

"No! I want my baby and I want to see him now," I demanded

Poor Tre. He went out the room to get someone. His child has just died too I thought. It's not just all about me.

When he came back there was a nurse with him carrying a little blanket and in the blanket was Samuel.

She handed him to me. Our baby.
"Look Tre, he's so beautiful. Look at him. He's like a little doll. He could be asleep." I wish he were. My tears fell on his tiny features. I opened the blanket and held his hand. So tiny and his little nails so delicate and perfectly formed. I touched his hair; it was so soft and downy that I could hardly feel it, brown hair that stuck up. "He has your hair Tre," I said looking up at Tre.

Tre was crying too. We sat like that for ages talking to our baby Samuel and holding him. Then the nurse came and we had to say goodbye. It was a wrench handing him over. It was torture but we knew he had to go. When he had left the room Tre got onto the bed and lay next to me. We held each other close and cried our hearts out.

Franky's Point Of View

My baby brother has died and I've got to go to his funeral today. Mum is only letting close friends and family attend. I didn't get to see Samuel but we have a photograph of him and some prints that a nurse took from his hands and feet so mum and dad can keep them. Big deal. Who wants those? I want my brother.

Mum and Dad are in such a state. Aunt Adi and Jen are doing everything they can for them. Mike and Billie Joe are real sad too and keep hugging Dad. The Green Day Trio. Stick together why don't you. They loved one another like brothers, of course they'd stick together, I was just being selfish.

The funeral was horrific. I never want to go to a funeral again for a very long time. The little white coffin was tiny. The priest said a few words but what was there to say. He put my baby brother in the ground, covered him with earth and said a prayer and then we all went home. End of Story. End of Samuel.

Sammi's Point Of View
Tre is taking me away for a three-day break tomorrow. I can't wait, I need to get away and he knows this. He's such a kind decent guy and I'll always love him. I know we'll never forget Samuel but we really do have to try and move on and we have a beautiful daughter that needs us too. No one will every replace Samuel but hopefully we can try for another baby soon. It would be lovely having another baby with Tre and watching him with our baby. We missed out on this with Francesca and I so want to do this with him.

The next day...

I wave Mum and Dad off as they go on their trip. I'm pleased for them as they need the break but I wish I could have gone with them, as I feel sad too. Adi and Billie Joe are looking after me at their house. I do love their house it's just full of wonderful pictures and it's so stylish. They have made up their spare bedroom just for me and it's beautiful.

Later on...
It's a really hot day and Jakob, Joey and myself have been playing in the pool. I decide to get out of the water as I'd had enough and I wanted to listen to my ipod and sunbathe.

I can't find my towel anywhere so I decide to go and get another one from the bathroom. I overhear Adi and Billie Joe talking as I passed by the kitchen.

"...But she's looking at you all the time Billie," I heard Adi say

"Oh Adi stop being so silly. She's a teenage girl. They all fancy me," he said jokingly laughing.

"I think this is serious," Adi said.

"Look Adi I don't notice anything, stop being paranoid."

"Yeah but she's flaunting around you with her bikini top nearly hanging off, surely you must notice."

"Well she is a pretty young girl but I don't see her that way," said Billie

"I think she is infatuated with you," said Adi.

"You really are making something out of nothing," Billie replied.

"She's a cute kid and she's Tre and Sammi's kid now stop this nonsense," he said.

"But I don't like it."

"I really don't understand you," said Billie his voice raising. "We've been married for years, have two gorgeous kids. You are everything to me. Why do you carry on like this sometimes."

"This is different."

"No it's no different," said Billie getting angry now. "I'm sick of it. You're only hurting yourself Adi." And with that he stormed out.

Adi started crying.

Good, I thought. Bitch. I hate you for saying that about me...