His Little Drummer Girl

Competition Day

Part 4

15th May - Competition Day

Franky's POV

I feel sick. I have to go in front of strange people and play drums and they are not my drums. What shall I do? I don't think I'll go after all. Lets forget it. I won't be able to do it and I'll show myself up. Everyone will find out at school and I will be the laughing stock.

I sat up in bed. It was 7am and still three hours before we had to leave. I could hear the letter box rattle. Rubbing my eyes and grabbing my dressing gown I then looked at myself in the mirror. Yuck, another spot, right on the end of my nose.

I went downstairs to get the mail that had come through. There were three envelopes for me.

Going into the kitchen I grabbed myself a glass of orange juice and sat down at the table to open my post. I hardly got letters. Birthdays, Christmas and once on valentines this year but I never knew who it was from. It was a real soppy card, sickly and overly sweet. Still I felt good getting one. None of my other friends did. I'd sent one to Charlie but he never let on he got it though. Good job I didn't sign it.

The first was from Auntie Jen wishing me luck. I did quite like Auntie Jen. She was OK sometimes when she wasn't around boring Uncle Peter. He was such an arsehole. Mum hated him too. She wished me luck and signed it from all the family. The rest of the family being my Cousins William and Harry. Losers. How corny naming your kids after the royals. Double Losers.

The second was from Mum. She always did this. Why waste a perfectly good stamp on sending a card through the post when she could have handed it to me. She is mad! It was a jockey card with music notes on it. 'To Francesca my daydreamer, go for it today baby and make all your dreams come true at last. Love you always. Mum xxx' Thank god she'd stopped signing Mummy.

The third was from Charlie. I'm embarrassed. Does he now think we are an item because we went bowling and then to MacDonalds for lunch. Again, why couldn't he just hand me the letter. What are people like?

"Hi sweetheart" said mum entering the Kitchen. "How are you feeling? Nervous?"

"Very" I said. "Thanks for the card, its great". I got up to give her a hug and then put the cards on the window.

"Breakfast sweetheart or cant you stomach any this morning?"

"I'll just have some toast please Mum" I said.

"Toast it is then." Said Mum. "What time have you told Charlie to come in?"

"About 9. 30 I said. I've given him enough time to 'Tre Cool' his hair.

"Is he that mad on Tre Cool then?" mum asked.

"Yeah, loves him. If he wins and we get to see them he's going to ask Tre to adopt him." I laughed and mum started coughing.

"You OK mum?" I said giving her a pat on the back.

"Fine sweetheart. How many slices of bread do you want?"

SAMMI'S POV

I feel sick. Today is the day when she does the competition. Do I want her to win? Of course I do. Its her dream come true and I hope she gets it. I'll have to put aside my feelings for now and let it be her day.

I can hear her going down the stairs to the mail. Might as well get up and face the day.

After breakfast...

... Why is it that when that man's name is mentioned I act like a gibbering idiot. Why is it that I cant get him out of my head still after all these years. I've seen him on TV countless times playing and getting awards, in magazines and on the internet and every time I see him my stomach lurches. Its about time I grew up and got on with my life. I need to find someone to share it with and make a good home life with Francesca. She could do with a man about the house. I need to make a bit more of an effort to get out and about.

"Mum we're going to have to hurry if we want to make it on time." Francesca called from downstairs. "We're ready. Normally its you that's waiting for us."

I finished putting on some lipstick and then grabbed my handbag and off down the stairs. Put on a brave face for her now I thought to myself and get through the day, everything will be fine.

We got to the audition in plenty of time. Francesca looks so lovely I thought to myself watching her. She has definitely got his eyes and when she smiles its him all over. She has his feistiness, cheekiness and his soft side but she has my temper too. She definitely has his talent. What would he make of her...

"Francesca Ellis" called a voice interrupting my thoughts. "Please follow me".

I gave Francesca a kiss on the cheek and wished her luck. Charlie also gave her a kiss and his cheeks were glowing. Ahh bless him. I think he really likes her.

Charlie and I sat nervously outside. We could just about hear the drum beat and then it went quiet for about ten minutes.

The door opened and Francesca and another guy came out together. He had an American accent. "Many thanks for coming Francesca, you did real well. We'll let you know in about an half an hour so if you'd like to go downstairs and grab something to eat we'll see you down there."

Francesca's cheeks were quite flushed.

"How did it go honey?" I asked putting my arms round her shoulder. My god she was almost my height. Definitely not my genes.

"I think OK" was all she could manage. She obviously wasn't really sure how it went so we all just trooped downstairs and grabbed a drink. Francesca and I couldn't eat a thing but Charlie certainly filled his boots.

That half an hour dragged on like never before and then the time came for us to go back upstairs to be told her fate. 'This is it' I thought to myself.

The kind American guy immediately came over and said "Well done Francesca, you have won the competition and will get to spend two days with Green Day and go backstage at Milton Keynes. The winner also gets to play drums with Tre Cool and gets some signed memorabilia of the band."

My knees were shaking and my heart definitely missed a beat. But I was so pleased for her. I'd never seen her that happy before, how could I not be.

The American guy shook my hand and introduced himself as Phil, and told us that he would be the chaperone the entire time we are to be with Green Day. Don't think I could find romance with Phil came to my mind. Phil was most definitely gay.

"You also get to bring one of your parents and a friend. So if we can just take some details from you Francesca and then we'll get the organizing done and pop you the details in the post. Who will you be bringing? Mum or Dad?" the guy said.

"I'll be bringing my Mum as I haven't got a Dad" said Francesca in a shaky, squeaky voice "and my best friend Charlie is coming too."

I looked over at Charlie who was grinning from ear to ear. How sweet that these two lovely children are about to have their dream come true and I'm going to be there to witness it. I felt sick to the stomach but excited at the same time. I was going to see him again...