His Little Drummer Girl

I can't believe you knew Green Day

"Sammi!" Tre shouted over after what seemed like ages of looking at each other. I knew everyone in the room was watching us but I didn't care really. He came straight over with his arms out and gave me a hug then he took my hand and gently kissed it. What a gent. His eyes seemed bluer to me but it was probably the dark brown eyeliner that he had all round his eyes. He didn't wear make up when I knew him. Actually I thought it was really sexy.

"How've you been?" He asked still holding on to my hand.

"Well thanks" I reply. "You?"

"Good". He said.

"That's not our Sammi is it?" Said Mike from across the room. "Sammi from London?" Said Billie Joe.

"It sure is!" Replied Tre. We were still looking at each other. He had a few lines around his eyes but apart from that nothing had changed.

Billie and Mike rushed over to us and Mike gave me a great big bear hug, which he always did do. Mike is quite tall and very muscular and I don't think he realizes his own strength. His bear hugs hurt just a little. Billie hugged me too. I was only a couple of inches shorter than him and his spiky hair tickled my nose and cheek.

"I can't believe it?" said Billie. "How long has it been?"

Tre and I spoke at the same time.

"About 13 ½ years." I said.
"Too long." Tre said.

It felt like my heart was actually about to explode out of my chest, I'm sure Tre could feel it even though he was a foot away from me.

We were all smiling and hugging when a voice said.

"Mum, what's going on. I don't believe you've met everyone before! Why didn't you tell me this sooner? This is so embarrassing." Said Francesca tearfully and with that she ran out of the room.

"Do you want me to go after her?" Asked Phil.

"No I'll go. Excuse me everyone." I had trouble opening the heavy door as my hands were shaking. Tre came over, gently took my hand from the handle and opened it for me. I left the room without looking at him.

"What the fuck was that all about?" said Mike. "I don't believe she hasn't even mentioned to her kid that she knew us all those years ago."

"Beats me." Said Billie Joe.

Adrienne came over to join the conversation.

"She must have her reasons. It was a long time ago remember and you guys were only involved with her for two weeks. There is probably loads a stuff that's happened in between. You know nothing about her anymore. She's probably married with more kids back home. May be she didn't want to tell her husband about you. Maybe your not his scene and he would have disapproved, especially if he knew that you and her were in a relationship." Said Adrienne to Tre.

"Hardly a relationship." mumbled Tre

"She's not married." Said a little voice from the corner. It was the forgotten Charlie. "Sammi has never got married. She's only ever had a couple of boyfriends as far as I know. Francesca said that any boyfriend she's had was a weirdo."

"Hey little guy." Said Billie going over to him. "How about we play your favourite song. What is it now?"

"Basket case." Replied Charlie, still in awe of Billie Joe.

"Come on then guys!" Said Billie. "Let's play basket case for the little fella."

They all trooped over and started to play, just for Charlie.

Back to Sammi...
... Knocking on the door but knowing I wasn't going to get an answer I let myself into the suite. Francesca was slumped on the sofa with the tv remote in her hand flicking through channels but not watching at all.

"Honey?" I said. No reply.

"I think we need to talk. We're all acting a little silly here." Still no reply.

I went over and sat next to her but she didn't even flinch, kept her eyes looking straight ahead, an angry expression on her face. Her neck was red and her eyelashes slightly damp.

"How could you?" She finally said. "How could you not tell me that you once met Green Day?"

"I don't know. I have my reasons but it will be hard for you to understand them."

"Try me." She snapped.

"Not right now. Now isn't the right time for me to explain. Let's just enjoy our weekend with the guys and when I'm ready I'll explain all about it and how I came to know them but just for now please let's not spoil the weekend. Its going to be the best weekend of your life. Let's not fight. You know I love you."

"I love you too mum." She cried flinging herself at me. "I just feel so embarrassed. Billie Joe hugged you and Tre kissed your hand. You must have known them really well. I thought we didn't have any secrets between us." She said.

"Well we don't. This isn't really a secret. It's just something I chose to keep to myself for a while and that while got a little longer. You would never have known if you hadn't won the competition. Now go and dry your face, make yourself even more beautiful than you are and then we'll go and join the others. Charlie will wonder where we are."

"I still cant believe that you know Green Day." Francesca said getting, still not entirely happy with the situation.

While Francesca was getting ready there was a knock at the door. Standing there was Billie Joe and Adrienne who had her arm around a very flushed looking Charlie.

"We just thought we'd knock and see if Francesca is up to coming down to the games room with us" said Billie Joe looking like a little boy standing there with his hands in his pockets.

"I'm sure she would, I'll just ask her, come on in."

They all trooped into the suite and I called Francesca.

"Sweetheart? Would you like to go to the games room with Billie Joe and Charlie. They are here right now waiting for you.

She emerged from the bathroom as gorgeous as ever.

"Id love to she said. Sorry I ran out on you all."

Billie Joe went over to her and gave her a hug. She blushed. Poor soul. "No need to apologize to anyone. Shall we leave your Mum and Adrienne together to have a girly chat while you beat the ass at me at pool?"

She smiled a huge smile and the three of them left the room.

Adrienne spoke.

"I may be out of place saying this but... Is Francesca Tre's daughter by any chance?"

My stomach fell. If she has guessed, who else has guessed? Has Tre?