Status: Active

If You Could Only See

You're Right

I shut my phone off and ran a hand through my hair. I walked back inside and back to the waiting room. I sat down and put my head in my hands and started talking to myself.

"I can't go on this trip now. She'll need me to be here with her and I want to be here with her."
"Hey, she'll be fine;" Randy's voice filled my ears.
"But what if she's not?"
"She's tough. She lives with you remember. She'll be fine; don't give up on her yet. She'll be disappointed if you do."
"You're right. She'll be okay."
"Exactly, here's your food."
"Thanks."

We ate in silence. As soon as we finished Shaun and Sheckler walked in.

"How is she?" Shaun asked.
"Don't know, she's still in surgery," I replied.
"How long has she been in there?" Ryan asked.
"About four hours now."
"Is anyone else coming to see her?"
"My family, Shaun, can I talk to you out in the hall?"
"Yeah."

He followed me out into the hall.

"What's up?"
"I need you to stay with Cheyenne till I get back."
"Alright, but I have a thing in Colorado so I'll have to see what day I leave. When are you leaving?"
"Well today is Wednesday so I leave Saturday."
"Okay, she can stay at my house."
"Thanks man. I'll probably call every five minutes just to check up on her."
"Nice. Why don't you just stay here?"
"I don't know if I can or not."
"Oh."

The doctor from earlier walked up to us. He took me away from everyone.

"Mr. Villopoto, Cheyenne's surgery went well and she is in room 245 recovering. She is asleep so I suggest you and your friends are quite when you go see her."
"Okay. Thanks you."

I told the guys we could see her. When we got to her room Shaun went in first. It sort of pissed me off. I guess because I wanted to be the first person she saw, but whatever. I followed in second and realized that Shaun had woken her up and he was sitting in the only chair beside her bed. I walked over to the other side and hugged her gently.

"Hey baby."
Her smile was weak and her voice was soft. "Hey Ry."
"How are you feeling?"
"Better. There is some pain, but the doctor told me it could be a lot worse," she smiled again then waved at Randy and Sheckler. "Is anyone else coming?"
"My family."
"Okay."

I watched as Shaun grabbed her hand and I stood up to leave.

"Ry, where are you going?"
"I'm gonna run home and get you some clothes."
"Oh."

I started to leave when the doctor came back in.

"Are you feeling any better?"
"A little bit. I'm really tired though."
"That's normal," he said as he looked around at us. "Only one of you can stay," his eyes landed on me. "And since you're her fiancé I'm guessing you're going to."
I nodded my head.
"Alright then. Cheyenne, just push this button here if you need anything."
"Okay."

I walked over to her and kissed her forehead, whispered "I love you" in her ear, and left.