Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Ten

Image

Image

Image (this was the dress she was wearing on the night of the proposal.)

Image (Melinda's engagement ring)

He was taller and much better looking than I remember; he had this look on his face that I loved about him, he was a bad boy.

"Kevin?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow. He smiled when I said his name out loud.

"Glad you remember me, Mellie." He was the only person who called me Mellie.

"This bitch is ours, back off!" The leader spat he ran towards me and pushed me aside and I fell to the floor. The guy swinged at Kevin but failed miserably. His punch didn't even came close to Kevin. The guy goes for another swing and--misses once more, this time he loses his balance and falls to the floor. Kevin walks over him and offers his hand to me.

"Let me help you." He smiled once more as I took his hand. I straighten my clothes and turn my gaze back to him. The drunk guys were now gone and I was left with Kevin."Nice to see you again."

Okay, who's Kevin? Well in the beginning of the story I told you about a girl named Jessica who took my boyfriend away from me and ended up breaking up with him? Well this is that guy. He's the one who cheated on me with the schools walking STD. The thing about Kevin was his bad boy attitude. He was two years older than me, like Nathan, his family is natorious for drug stuff. He looked more sophisticated than before and looked mature.

"Hey...Kevin." I forced a smile and put my hands behind my pocket and looked around nervously not knowing what to say or do."Th-thanks for the help."

"You always have someone trying to get in your pants." He smirked, which made me smile and I chuckled nervously.

"Yeah I---"

"Melinda, Melinda!" The boys came running towards me.

"Where the hell were you?!" I yelled at them and smacked them on the back of the head.

"We were at the biking ramp." said Victor.

"Hey Vic, you've grown so much." said Kevin as he messed their hair.

"Who are you?" asked Manuel in confusion.

"It's Kevin you genius." I hissed.

"Oh Kevin, the jerk who cheated on you?" Victor asked bluntly. Kevin cleared his throat and my cheeks turned red.

"Victor!....Ugh! Go back to the car, both of you." I pointed at the exit. The hunged their heads in shame and walked away."Sorry about that--"

"I'm the one who should be sorry." Kevin contradicted.

"What about?" I asked.

"Everybody sing
Like it's the last song you will ever sing
Tell me, tell me do you feel the pressure now?
Everybody live
Like it's the last day you will ever see
Tell me, tell me do you feel the pressure now?"- Born For This by Paramore


My phone vibrated inside my jeans and I closed my eyes and let out a sigh of frustration. I knew it was Peter.

"Sorry." I said to Kevin.

"Nah, it's alright." He said a bit hurt, I think he wanted to tell me something, but I answered my phone.

"Hey." I answered."I'm at BMX Games with my little brothers...you?....I can't I'm tired from yesterday...I know I know...I just need to rest...I'll see you tomorrow...love you too." I hanged up and looked at Kevin.

"Boyfriend?" He asked there was hope in his eyes like he wanted me to say no.

I wish."Fiancee." I answered flatly. A flash of disappointment went through his face. He tried to hide it by giving me a smile."Well I got to go. Don't be a stranger, call me if you want to talk."

"I won't be, trust me." He smiled at me and I returned the smile."You look happy."

"Really?" I thought out loud with a confused look."Cause I am." I added quickly, recovering."Bye then."

***

"Kevin? As in the guy who cheated on you with the schools slut?!" Rodrigo, my best friend for life, shrieked in horror, he was a bit over protective.

"Yeah, he looked...Hot." I admitted sheepishly.

"That's not the point Mel, he's the one who broke your heart." Rodrigo pointed out.

"He wasn't the last one." I was talking about Nathan of course.

"You too." He said.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Oh, come on Melinda, we all know you don't love Peter." said Linda she was sitting next to Jeff, well the whole gang was here.

"I do love him, why do you think I'm going to marry him?" I lied.

"Out of anger, you told us yourself." Maya pointed out. I glared at her.

"I---Uhh--you---uhh---damn!" I cursed at the end.

"Mel, break up with Peter before it's too late. Nathan and you belong together you guys have been through so much." said Brian we all gave him a weird look because he was the last one we expect to me so emotional."What?!"

"Nothing." We all said quickly.

"What? I can't be sentimental?" He asked defesively.

"No." We all answered.

"Whatever." He muttered and nozzled his face to Maya's neck. I shake my head in disapprovement.

"Back to Melinda." announced Linda.

I groaned."Can we just drop the subject? I really don't feel like talking it right now...or ever." I said standing from my seat and went ot the kitchen. I leaned on the counter of the kitchen and took deep breathes.

"Melinda." Rodrigo came in with a concerned look on his face. I couldn't take it anymore, I walked into his opened arms and laid my head on his chest and quietly cried."Look, if you really love Peter then we promise we'll stop talking about it...But if you don't then please stop hurting yourself and Nathan."

"Rodrigo I don't---" I was interrupted by Peter.

"Everybody sing
Like it's the last song you will ever sing
Tell me, tell me do you feel the pressure now?
Everybody live
Like it's the last day you will ever see
Tell me, tell me do you feel the pressure now?"- Born For This by Paramore(again)


"Not now." I muttered to myself. I took out my cellphone and left it ringing.

"You're not going to answer your fiancee?" asked Rodrigo.

"I don't feel like talking to him now." I said bored and wiped away the tears."What happened to the old Melinda, Rodrigo?"

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Where is the girl who wouldn't let anyone break her heart, or...fall in love so deeply." I said as I looked in his eyes searching for answers.

"She grew up." He answered. I thought about it for a second.

"Why couldn't I have just my happy ending?" I said."I'm going to sleep..."

"Night." said Rodrigo as he kissed my forehead. I kissed him on the cheek and walked out of the kitchen and into my room. I went back into my pijamas. I turned the alarm at 6am to start working at 8am.

***

You know how some people say if you have a clean conscience you sleep well? Well I barely slept, so my conscience must be pretty bad. With no sleep I had to get up at 6am and go to my hospital and start doing my part-time shift. I took a shower in the morning to wake myself up and then I pulled on the hospital scrubs. I took my id badge, my purse and my i-pod, to listen to on my break.

I hopped on my car and headed to the hospital. When I arrived at the hospital I was greeted by the security guards and the people at the front desk, very friendly people indeed. I checked in and headed to my floor which was the maternal floor.

"Morning, doctor." I smiled at the female doctor who was my supervisor.

"Morning, Mel. How was your weekend?" She asked as she looked up at me from her clipboard.

"Same old, same old." I sighed as I hid my left hand behind my back as casual as possible.

"Good, good. Well this morning you'll be helping me in a delivery." She looked at me with a serious look.

I hid my happines."Can I jump up and down for a bit?" I asked. She shakes her head as she laughs and nods."yay!" I clapped my hands and jumped up and down and quickly stopped."Wait, how come you're not using the real nurses?"

"I find you more smarter than them." She said."You know stuff they easily forget, we need more people like you in this world."

I chuckled at the thought.

"So, are you gonna help me or not?" She asked.

"Heck yeah!" I half whispered and half yelled.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Check later for a picture of Kevin on the Summary. Byes and thanks for the awesome support I get from you guys. I love yas!!!!