Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Eleven

"It's a girl!" said the Obestrecian gynecologist. " Gomez, cut the cord." Ordered the doctor. Without hesitation I cut the cord and the doctor hands me the bloody baby. I quickly took it to a small table and removed the fluids from the nose and mouth so the baby girl could breath. I cleaned the blood and wrapped the baby girl in a pink blanket.

I walked over the mother who was crying and smiling at the same time. Her forehead was sweaty and her hair damped from her sweat. She opens her arms to the baby and I hand her the little girl.

"She's gonna be a heartbreaker." I smiled at the mother as she took her daughter, she laughed.

"Thank you." She looked at me with a warm smile. This made me think of my mom and I realized how much I've missed her. Right after work I'll call her to have dinner.

***

"Good job Gomez." Congratulated the doctor.

"Thank you, doctor." I said as I removed the mask from my face and took off the gloves.

"You're probably one of the few girls who didn't scream or faint in their first delivery.... or throw up." She looked at me with a happy smile and patted me on the back.

"Thanks." I said sheepishly. I took out the engagement ring from my pocket and slipped it on my left ring finger.

"Oh, is that engagement ring?" The doctor pointed at my hand. I stared at the ring and sighed.

"Yes." I said in a sigh.

"You don't look happy for a future wife." She said, we were now walking to the cafeteria to get food.

"Well... I'm not sure if he's the one." I confessed.

"Then why are you're going to marry him?" She asked.

Cause he threaten to kill me and the love of my life.

"Well he's been there for me when I had needed him the most. I couldn't just break it off." I said.

"Melinda, you're going to hurt him more in the marriage because in the back of his mind he will know that you don't love him. And when you DO separate, you will cause more harm." Damn it! She was so right.

I stayed silent for a second and looked at the food and picked a yogurt and some fruit, I wasn't that hungry.

"I guess." We never talked about the subject after that and I think she knew I didn't want to talk about it. That's why I liked this doctor she knew her limits in conversations. Always a good thing to have... Know your limits.

***

"Mami!" I yelled as I jogged to her and hugged her tightly. I inhaled her smell, as always it was her favorite Victoria Secret perfume.

"Melinda, hace mucho tiempo que no nos visitas...dime que cuentas?" Mother said eagerly. (It's been a long time since you've visited us...tell me, what's new?) Apparantly she didn't know I was engaged. I lifted my left hand to her face and wiggled my fingers at her. She gasped and squealed.

"Mija, you and Nathan are back together...Oh I knew this was going to happen...you guys were meant for each other...and even aft--"

I had to stop her."Ma! I'm not going to marry Nathan."

She puts on a confused look."Then who?"

"P-Peter." I stuttered. She widened her eyes.

"QUE?!" (WHAT?!) She exclaimed more in anger than in suprise.

"It's Pet--"

"I heard you! Mel, no I don't approve of this...No...you tell Peter you don't have my blessing." She put her hands on her hips and tapped her right foot.

"My dad already have Peter his blessing, why can't you?" I said in a begging way, trying to avoid an argument.

"Your father doesn't know how much you love Nathan. Melinda don't do this to yourself---"

"Yeah, yeah, you're only hurting yourself." I snapped at my mom. Her mouth hanged open in surpise of my reaction.

"Then why don't you follow that advice." She snapped back with attitude.

"It's easier said than done, Ma." I said.

"Honey, don't you want to be happy?" She asked now her eyes were worried.

"Nathan proposed to Lucy...Yes the same Lucy who betrayed him." I snapped once again.

"What?" She said."I need to have a talk with Nathan."