Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Nineteen

"HA! That was so much fun." Nathan beamed, he was the one driving back.

Because I got drunk, yes drunk. For the second time in my life I'm drunk; the firts time was when I was fifteen and it was my Quinceanera.

"Whooooo hooooo!!!!" I yelled out my window. I felt a strong hand pull me back in.

"You're drunk, you're dangerous." Nathan warned.

"No I'm not. I'm free, I'm care free." I threw my hands up and it hit the car roof. "Owie."

"We're almost to your house." Nathan said.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no... I don't want to go home, if I go back everything will become real... all of my problems will become a reality... I hate my reality. I wanna stay with you forever... I want to marry you, not Cesar and most definitely not Peter. Why did this happen to us? Why all of these problems?" I slurred at some parts.

Nathan took my hand and kissed it.

"Don't worry about the past; think about the here and now." Nathan said.

I smiled, drunkly. "I love it when you're all smart."

"I did pretty well in school myself." Nathan said.

"I honestly believe you." I said.

"Why shouldn't you?" He asked.

"Because... you were a mobster." I said, it came out wrong. "You kidnapped me... twice."

"Do you regret it?" His tone was obviously hurt.

I smiled. "Not one bit. Every experience we've had has made this relationship stronger and more pure. Something like what we have shouldn't be forbidden."

"Then, why does destiny keeps getting in the way?" His voice was low and his eyes on the road.

"I don't know. To prove our love for each other?" I suggested.

"Or it just loves for f uck with us." Nathan joked.

I laughed.

The car came to a holt. We were in front of my apartment building.

"I don't want to go inside. I don't want to be away from you, not anymore." I whispered.

"You have to, love, we can't let anyone know, not yet." Nathan cupped my cheek.

"Come inside with me, plus how are you going to get home?" I asked, I burped.

Nathan chuckled at my drunk state.

"Good point." He said.

"Just stay tonight. You can sleep on the couch or... with me." I smiled meekly.

Nathan sighed heavily. "You're right. But we have to be extra quiet." He said placing his index finger in the middle of his lips.

I nod.

With his arm wrapped around my waist and my arm over his neck, he helped me go up the stairs to the door. He pressed the button for the elevator and it "dinged" as it opened. Nathan goes inside, along with me.

"Third floor." I slurred. My eyes were getting heavy.

"I know." He said smugly.

"Stalker." I narrowed my eyes.

He chuckled.

Ding!

The elevator door slid opened and Nathan continued to carry me.

We reached my apartment door.

"Where are your keys?" Nathan asked.

I pulled them out of my back pocket and jiggled them in front of his face.

"Now you see them," I put them behind my back, " now you don't." I teased.

Nathan leaned in and kissed me, which made everything inside of me explode with joy and I brought my hand to his face, the one with the keys, and he took the keys.

"Ha! I win." He stuck his tongue out.

"No fair, you tricked me!" I said.

"All fairs in love and war, babe." He placed the key inside of the key hole but then the door was swung open.

"AHHHHHHHH!!!!! It's the Lockness Monster, save me NATHAN!!!" I yelled playfully.

Linda was at the door with her night cream on, she looked like those mothers who just caught her teenage daughter coming back from a party. She tapped her foot as her weight was on her left foot, her hands on her hips and the motherly look.

"You're got some explaining to do young lady." She hissed in a low tone. "Get inside, both of you."

Nathan pulled me inside without a question. He sat me on the couch. Nathan stood and started to walk towards the door.

"You sit down, young man." Linda pointed at the couch and Nathan sat next to me.

I covered my mouth hiding my laughter.

Nathan and I bit our lips surpressing our laughter as Linda paced back and forth in front of us.

"Do you have any idea how worried I was? You wouldn't answer your cellphone and you didn't call---"

"Linda, Linda, stop mothering us, we just went to TJ (Tijuana) to have some fun." I shrugged my shoulders.

"You're drunk." She pointed out.

"Yes. So?" I said.

"You have to work tomorrow, which is today"

"Damn! I'll call in sick, I'm sure they'll give me the day off." I said.

"What about..." She hesitated to go on. "what about Peter?"

"What about him?" I glared at nothing as I heard his name.

"He came by to pick you up for a dressing fitting and you weren't here. He looked mad." Linda's eyes grew worried.

"I'm not going to marry him anymore." I said and took Nathan's hand and interlocked fingers.

Linda smiled. "I'm glad you finally came to your senses. But what are you going to do with Peter?"

"I'm going to tell him it's over." I said flatly.

"It's not going to be easy, love." Nathan said.

"I know it's not going to be." I said. "But I'm going to do it."

"But for now, it's time for bed." Linda barked. She walked over to us and man-handled Nathan out the door.

We said "I love you" to each other.

Nathan's Point of View

Linda had kindly called a cab for me, who knew they worked all night.

I told the driver my address, he said it was too far, but after I introduced him to a couple of my Jacksons friends he didn't mind after all.

***

"Here ya go Mr." The driver said as he pulled on the oval parking of my house.

"Thank you sir." I said getting out of the back seat.

The door creaked open and it was the only sound that went around the house. I smiled to myself as I started to head up the stairs.

"Stealth like a ninja." I joked.

"Where were you?!"

I jumped and placed my hand over my heart and looked up to an angry... Peter, of course, who else?

"Pete, buddy, what are you doing up so late? You need your beauty rest." I smiled fakely. "Not that it would help, but... at least you try."

Peter took in a deep breathe and closed his eyes like he was concentrating.

"Nathan, where were you?" He asked more slowly and he gritted his teeth together.

"I don't have to tell you my where abouts." I snapped as I walked past him, but he stopped me as he grabbed my upper arm. He leaned in closer.

"Were you with Melinda?" He hissed in my ear; his voice held so much hate.

I didn't answer at once. I had to enjoy him squirm; he had no clue Melinda was going to break up with him tomorrow, which is today, whatever. The desparation of Peter being clueless was killing him and I was savoring every single second.

"And if I was?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Then I'll kill you right here and now if you don't tell me what happened between you two." The grip on my upper arm tighten.

"Let go of me, Peter, and I'll tell you exactly what happened." I said smoothly.

Peter releases me and I straighten my position, I was still taller than him.

"I went with some old friends to a club, I haven't seen Melinda since yesterday morning when she was having breakfast with Linda." I lied about the Linda thing, I didn't want to get Melinda in trouble. "Happy?"

Peter seemed convinced, you see some people don't look you in the eye when they lie, but I do. I can look at someone straight in the eye and lie to them, it's a very good trait to have, especially in the mob business.

"Tell me something Peter." A smiled curled on my lips. "Why don't you know the whereabouts of your fiance?"

Peter growled like a dog protecting its bone.

"That's none of your concern, Fullerton." He hissed.

I chuckled. Then Peter smiled.

"Listen, Nathan, in the end it's me who's going to be Melinda's husband. I'm going to be the one who will touch her at night, I'll kiss her, I'll hold her and I'm going to make her foget you." Every word he said boiled my blood more and more. Peter leaned in closer once more. "I'll tell you what you missed in the bed later."

I acted to instinct and clentched my hand into a fist and the fist made contact with Peter's cheek. Peter quickly returned it and then we were rolling around on the floor punching each other with all of our strength.

"Don't.You.Ever.Talk.Like.That.Again.About.Melinda." Each word included a punch in his face or stomach. Peter rolled over so now I was under him and he started to punch me.

"Why.Can't.You.Back.Off?!" I could taste the blood in my mouth.

Somehow, we were on our feet and now sort of boxing. He went for a left hook, which I blocked and then I punched him in the stomach. Then I pushed him against the wall and hit several times near the ribs. Peter blocked some of them but I got most of them through. Then, Peter got me into a headlock and punched me while he held me. I jabbed him on the ribs with my elbow and he let go.

My hair, by now, was on my face and so was Peter's, some of our hair was held on our face because the mixture of our sweat and blood.

"WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!" Bellowed my dad and uncle, I called him uncle even though he wasn't. Someone grabbed me with the arms and pulled me away from Peter, while Peter was being pulled away as well.

I was fighting my dad to let me go.

"Melinda, never loved you!" I yelled.

"You're wrong." Peter yelled.

"What is going on?" Aunt Evelyn came out of her room. "Oh my Lord, Peter, what happened?" She went over to her son and looked at his wounds, mostly bruises and busted lip.