Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Twenty-Six

|| Two Days Later ||

I was on my way to the Fullerton's house to meet with Peter's parents to give back the engagement ring. I didn't want anything to do with Peter anymore.

I was singing along to 'Man in the Box' by Alice in Chains. I bobbed my head and my fingers tapped the steering wheel and my free leg tapped with the beat of the drums.

The song switched to 'Handlebars' by Flobots and though it was a bad mojo, the song, for me, I still sang to the lyrics because it was a damn good song, that's why!!

I turned down the volume when I came to the Fullerton's oval driveway.

I walked up to the door and rang the doorbell.

A maid answered, her name was Karen.

"Hey, Karen, are Mr. and Mrs. Watson home?"

"Yes; they're in the living room." She gestured as she step aside to let me.

I thanked her before walking to the living room. Evelyn looked devastated, there was still no news from Peter.

"Hello." I kept my voice down.

Mr. Watson looked at me.

"Oh, Melinda, good to see you're all right."

"Thank you for your concern. Um, I just came by to drop off Peter's ring." I mumbled towards the end but he understood me because he stood from his seat and walked over to me and took the ring.

He examined the ring, not in a rude like as if it was missing something, but as a memory sort of thing.

"Thank you, Melinda."

"You're welcome and I'm sure Peter will turn up."

And like on cue the entrance door was opened. And there he was, Peter William Watson. He looked clean, not what I was expecting but at least he was alive. As much damage he did to me I could never wish death on someone.

"Peter!" Evelyn cried as she ran past me and hugged her son.

Mr. Watson walked over to his son and hugged him as well. I felt a little out of place and I started to play with my hands as I tried to look anywhere but at the Watson family.

"Melinda?" Nathan's voice came from my left side and I jumped a little when he called for me. He was coming from the hallway next to the stairs.

"Hey, Peter's back." I said as casual as possible. His muscles tensed and was quickly by my side, his eyes fixed on the Watson family. They were huddled together.

"How long?"

"Just now." I whispered.

"Do you want to go upstairs?"

"No, I'm fine, honest." I smiled weakly, he saw through me but didn't want to push me.

"Mel." Peter's husky voice called for me.

|| Peter's Point of View ||

I decided it was time to go back home and face the music but this time with vengeance. I knew Melinda and Nathan were going to be back together, but I am going to do everything in my power to make sure their happiness doesn't last. Now that I had an ally, it was going to be so easy.

For now, I had to earn Melinda's trust back.

So, after I talked to my parents I walked towards Melinda and Nathan.

"Mel." I said, she turns from Nathan to me and I could see sadness in her eyes. After everything I did to her she still cares for me. She's too much of a saint, too bad I'm going to hurt her so badly.

"Hey there, Pete." She struggled to smile.

"I really need to talk to you." I took another step forward and Nathan immediately stood in front of Melinda protectively, I took the step back. His eyes bored into me with hate.

Melinda places her hand on his shoulder and whispers something in his ear that makes him relax.

"Two minutes." He hissed at me and I keep a smile.

I gestured Melinda to follow me to the living room. She follows behind me. I turn around and a smile at her, she kindly returns it.

"I want to apologize for my behavior... it was unexcusable, I know, but this time away made me realize so many things."

She gave me her full attention but avoided my eyes.

"I really want you to be happy... and if it means being with Nathan, then so be it." I sounded as sincere as possible. She finally looked me in the eyes, completely shocked, I think she expected me to beg her to take me back and I would've but a vendetta sounds so much better.

She looked at me to see if I was lying and I kept everything as normal as possible.

"I'm serious. I'm sorry for all the pain I have caused you. This isn't the first time so I'm asking for a third chance." I fake begged.

She mused. She wasn't looking at me, she looked past me and then to me again.

"A third chance it is." She smiled.

I smiled and opened my arms for a hug.

"Let's... go a bit slow." She said and I put my arms to the side and nodded.

You have no idea what's coming to you. I'll make sure you never find happiness. I thought as I kept my fake smile.

|| Melinda's Point of View ||

When I got back home, the apartment was empty and Nathan had business. He was taking over his father's clean business.

John, he was taking a long vacation and it was well deserved.

I turned on the t.v. and changed it to Cartnoon Network, there were passing old Naruto episodes, it was the one when Sasuke confronts his older brother, Itachi, who is after his friend, Naruto.

I went over to my shelf with my medical books to study. The University was letting me take the finals soon and I needed to study.

"There are five types of tissues: connective, nerve, epithelial, blood and muscle. Connective, nerve, epithelial, blood and muscle." I repeated to myself. I looked down to the book once I knew I remembered the tissues.

"The function of the bone is: support, structure, and protection. Support, structure, and protection."

I remembered most of the stuff and the ones I didn't I would highlight.

"The skin is the body's largest organ. It contains several kinds of tissues, including epithelial, connective, and nerve tissues. It also contains sweat and oil glands. The combination of these tissues and glands work together as the integumentary system. The main function of the skin are to: Protect the underlying body parts from injury and the invasion of pathogens. Regulate body temperature by controlling the loss of body heat. Eliminate waste through sweating. Store energy in the form of fat and vitamins. Sense touch, cold, pain and pressure through receptors.

My phone was vibrating on the glass table and I checked the number. It was Maya.

"What's up?"

I heard her sniffle.

"Maya, what's wrong?"

"There was an accident, Mels, Rodrigo is in the hospital."

"Tell me where." I said standing up and dropping my books.

She told me the name of the hospital. I turned off the tv, grabbed my keys and dashed out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Good news, there's going to be more than thirty chapters... now that I have another plot in mind... thanks for reading... COMMENT!!!