Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Twenty-Seven

How I hate hospitals now. I've been to the hospital two times with two major injuries: one caused me to lose my memory and the second caused me almost my life. Now, I know how my friends felt about waiting in the waiting room. Not knowing what's going on behind those closed doors.

Nathan was by my side and he was comforting me.

"Mr. Gonzalez family?"

Linda and I approached the doctor.

"We're family." Linda's voice squeaked.

"He's going to be fine, we've stabilized him and he should wake up any moment. I'll tell the nurse to inform you when he does."

"What happened doctor?" I asked.

"He had some serious hemorrhages but we were able to stop them. You can relax."

"Thank you."

Linda and I told the rest of the gang he was going to be all right.

"I'm going to get you some coffee." Nathan whispered and he pecked my lips and walked out of the waiting area.

I hugged myself with my arms around my torso. I didn't want to think of life without Rodrigo, he was my best friend for life. He was like my brother, my blood.

"Hey," said a husky voice. I looked up and saw Peter, he had a concerned look.

"Oh, hey Pete."

He took Nathan's chair next to me.

"Is he going to be okay?"

I sniffled before answering him.

"Yeah," I said with a nod. "They were able to stabilized him, he's going to be all right."

"I'm glad." He smiled. He placed his arm over my shoulder and I leaned down to his shoulder. It might've looked wrong, but it wasn't like I was in love with Peter, no, never.

"Ahem," Nathan cleared his throat. The coffee cups were shaking because of Nathan. Peter removed his arm around me and stood up from the seat. As Peter passed Nathan glared at him and then soften his look when he looked back at me. "Here's your coffee, love."

He handed me the black coffee, just like I liked it in these situations.

"Thanks." I said kissing him on the lips.

He returns the kiss. His cellphone went off in the middle of the kiss and we part so he could answer. He argued for a little bit with the person and then sighed in defeat.

"I have to go. Call me when you get home." He said kissing me lightly on the lips.

"Yeah." I whispered.

I could see in his eyes he didn't want to go but he had to and so he left, but not before talking to Charles. Charles smiled at me and then took Nathan's seat. Peter's took Charles seat next to Linda, she was too happy to notice the guy who almost raped me to be sitting next to her.

"How are you holding up?" Charles asked, he put his arm around me and I leaned down to his chest and rest my head on it.

I sighed, I took a lock of my hair and placed it behind my ear.

"Better, now that I know he'll be all right."

"That word is being used a lot these days 'How are you?' they answer 'All right' like there isn't another words for it." Charles said it in different voices which made me life which I think was his goal, and it was well met.

"You always make me smile, Chuck."

"Aw, you love me."

"Of course I love you. You're like the younger brother that isn't annoying that I've never had."

"Victor and Manuel would be hurt if they would've heard that." He teased.

"They know I love them to death."

We both laughed which made the mood in the atmosphere a little more tolerable.

The doctor told us to go home because the danger had passed and he was going live. Linda told me to go, well she practically threw me out of the hospital.

"Go study! Rodrigo will never forgive himself if you fail the test because of him." She barked at me.

So I went home. I honestly couldn't study anymore, so instead I took a long cold shower.

I dressed in my pajamas and went to sleep the second my head hit the pillow.

My dream consisted of something unexpected.

I was in the middle of darkness. Everything around me was black and I couldn't see anything. I yelled for Nathan, but all I could hear where the echos of my voice. I could feel tears going down my cheek and then I felt a warm hand wipe away the tears.

"Nathan." I said, but then a huge spot light appeared and it wasn't Nathan. It was Peter. When I was calling for Nathan, Peter appeared, why? I took a step back. "Where's Nathan? NATHAN!!" I screamed at the top of lungs.

But Peter had this innocent smile on his face and it was sincere.

"He's not coming." His voice was angelic and I felt warm inside.

"I want Nathan." I whispered, he shook his head like I was saying something silly. "Please."


I woke up at the sound of my alarm. I groaned as I hit the off button. Little memories of my dream flashed but after about thirty seconds later it was hard to remember. But why had Peter appeared when I was calling for Nathan? Why didn't Nathan appeared?

"I think I'm drowning, asphyxiating, I wanna break this spell, that you've created." Nathan was calling.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Just woke up, love?"

"Yeah." I yawned, thank god he couldn't smell my morning breath. Yuck.

He chuckles.

"Mel, I can't make our lunch date, I had to cancel some meetings yesterday so I could be with you at the hospital. I'm so sorry."

"It's all right, I understand." Okay, I was a bit disappointed.

"I'll make it up to you, I swear, love. I love you."

"I love you too." We both hanged up.

Lately it seemed I've been seeing less and less Nathan, but I understood. He was a busy man, but my man, and I needed him. But I didn't want him to chose between me and his job, even though I knew he would chose me, I couldn't do that to him.

I got dressed. It was a Saturday and I had the whole weekend off. Linda was still at the hospital and Maya had left a message saying she was going to stay with Brian at his place.

The phone rang, the apartment's phone and I picked it up.

"Yello." I said using a southern accent.

I heard a husky chuckle on the other line.

"It's Peter."

I smiled slightly. "Hey Pete."

"I was wondering if you're not doing anything around lunch, would you like to join me and Charles?"

I wasn't going to be alone with him so it wasn't a date.

"Yeah, where?"

He told me it was a place called the Elephant Bar, I've never been there and I've passed by it because it was across the mall.

I changed into some regular clothes.

Charles and Peter were waiting for me outside the Elephant Bar. They both grew huge grins when they saw me. I hugged both of them and gave them a peck on the cheek.

We went in and ordered our food. I got a regular cheeseburger with large fries and a Brisk Iced Tea.

"Any word on Rodrigo?" Charles asked.

"No, but Linda told me she was going to call me as soon as he woke up."

"I'm sure he will." Peter smiled, I returned it.

"Yeah, thanks, Pete."

"When do you have to take the test?" Peter asked.

"Tuesday morning." I sighed.

"You don't seem excited."

"I'm kind of freaking out." I confessed.

"Don't worry, you're Melinda Bella Gomez, you're a freakin' genius." Charles prompted.

"Thanks guys, it means a lot."

We ate and talked about random things like: movies, music and celebrities. I found out Charles was dating a girl named Amanda, I only hoped she wasn't like that stupid Lucy... huh, I wonder what happened to her?

A few minutes later my phone went off. Linda called saying Rodrigo was asking for me. We paid the bill and quickly drove to the hospital. But I had to drive Peter because Charles had to pick up his girlfriend so I could meet her in the hospital.

I turned on the radio and the worst song came up, not because of the song but because of what it represented between me and Peter. 'Handlebars' by Flobots made the air in the car a bit... uncomfortable so I switched the station to another and 'No One Knows' by Queens of the Stone Age came on, I love that song. Every time it came up I would get up and start dancing to it, yes, if you know how to dance you can to practically anything.

"I like this song." Peter smiled.

"Have you seen the video?"

"Yeah, man Dave Grohl is so awesome."

"He's so freakin' great. I love him."

"Hey, something we both agree on, for the first time." Peter pointed out. I tilted my head and smiled.

"Oh, yeah. Weird, isn't it?"

"I find it nice."

We laughed for a while.

{Author's note: READ THE THING UNDER THIS!!!!}
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh, sorry for the late update... since these chapters are new it takes me a while to sit down and write for this story because I've got another four going on... anyways... please comment, tell me what you like or don't like about this chapter.