Status: Hiatus

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Capitulo Forty-Four

This time Kane was driving and I was between Shane and Devlin. I moved closer to Devlin because I was… concerned of Shane. Okay, he scared me a bit.

If Devlin wouldn’t have gotten the news that Nathan knew then I would be in his arms right now. I could be on my way home to my friends and family.

“What exactly do you plan to do with me?” I asked Devlin. His eyes were out the window but I could see his eyes in the reflection of the glass. He looked at me and then back outside.

“I could think of a few things.” Shane said and I could almost hear the grin on his face. I turned slowly to him.

“I’d rather die, but I guess a dead girl would be some kind of an improvement for you.” He raised his fists at me and I embraced for the impact but it never came. When I looked I saw that Devlin had caught his fist.

“No hitting.” He said in a calm tone, but it had a second meaning. It meant ‘Don’t fucking disobey me mother fucker’.

The city disappeared and it turned to country. I saw the infinite fields and hills. I smiled a little as I looked from Devlin’s window. When I looked at Devlin I saw him blush and turn away. Was he staring at me? Nah.

“Who knows a good car song?” I said out of the blue.

“You don’t exactly act like a normal hostage.” Kane commented as he looked at me through rear view mirror. I shrugged.

“I don’t exactly act like a normal person.” I flashed him a warm smile.

“Most hostages wouldn’t smile nicely at their kidnappers.” Shane joined in.

“Once again, I’m not like most people. I try to be happy because happiness is contagious.”

“Maybe it can rub off on Devlin.” Kane mumbled and I could tell he regretted it because there was a silence. I looked over to Devlin. He was still looking out the window.

“I think he’s happy. In his own emo-ness kind of way.” The comment made him look at me. “Are you happy?”

“Just peachy.” He grumbled.

“See, an answer like that makes me think you’re not.” I said sarcastically. We stared into each other’s eyes. I stood my ground and he was trying to break it, but I was raised in a home where stubbornness was key element to know in life.

“You’re stubborn as a mule.” He growled.

“Ha, if I had a penny.” I said. “I think under different circumstances, Dev, we could’ve been friends.”

“Did she just him a nickname?” Shane pretended to whisper.

Devlin growled and the next thing I know his lips crashed on mine. For someone so cold he sure had warm and soft lips.

---Devlin O’Brien---

I just crashed my lips on her. Just to get her to shut the hell up. She could talk a lot and there was no stopping her. She just went yap pity yap!

Her lips were unsurprisingly soft. Her skin smooth as I cupped her cheek and deepened the kiss. I lost track of where I was and who I was with. All that mattered was that I kissing her. Deep down inside of me, and I mean DEEP DOWN, I’ve wanted to do from the start.

Her personality had captured me in a way no other girl had. She had this happiness that, like she said, was contagious and it was bringing a side of me I thought I buried when Nathan backstabbed me.

Funny how his girlfriend melted me frozen heart. I don’t think she even did it on purpose. I pulled out when I felt her kissing me back. I tried to make an angry face but I was jumping of joy inside.

“There! That shut you up!” I growled before turning to looking out the window while actually looking at her through the reflection of the mirror.

---Melinda Gomez---

Just as I was kissing back, don’t ask me why because I don’t know; I have this stupid brain and stupid heart telling me different things and I can’t tell which is which, he pulled away and said.

“There! That shut you up!” And it certainly did, I didn’t know how to respond. I was left stunned and speechless. Only Nathan was able to do that, but… oh, Dios mio, he was a great kisser.

No! NO, he’s your kidnapper, damn it! Look where it got you when you fell for your first kidnapper! I scolded myself.

I convinced myself that the kiss was nothing and it was a one time thing. It was never going to happen again. I scooted away from Devlin and closer to Shane.

Fortunately the car slowed down. We were at a barn. To the right side of me there was the house and not far from the house was the actual barn. I could hear the farm animal noises. It was like being in Mexico where my grandparents used to stay. Their Rancho was so full of animals and I remembered my summers going horseback riding with my cousins. I also remembered feeding the pigs and helping with the chickens’ eggs.

Shane took my arm and jerked me out. “Ow, you fucktard!” I yelled at his face. He tugged me close to him and whispered in my ear.

“Devlin won’t always be around… and when he’s gone… we’re going to have our little fun.” He laughed a little and it send shivers up my spine everywhere in my body.

“SHANE!” Devlin barked.

Shane pushed me away a little. “Just giving her a warning, boss.” Devlin and Shane stared and Devlin eventually looked away.

For the first time since they kidnapped me I was scared. Shane was right; Devlin wouldn’t always be there to save me.

Shane woke me from my thoughts and he started to shove me. It was dawn and the sun was barely coming out. Halfway walking to the house Devlin took my arm and Shane was told to open the door of the house.

Somehow, I felt safer while I was with Devlin. I felt more secured and I think he didn’t really want to hurt me.

The house was made of wood and I liked the smell of pines and all that. We walked inside and found that it was a plain house. There was old furniture and the smell of old people.

“There are some rules you have to know.” Devlin took me aside and looked dead fucking serious. He raised my left hand and put something in my ring finger. I looked at it and saw that it was a wedding ring.

My eyes grew wide and I was about to scream. He shushed me.

“My grandparents live here and I told them I was bringing my wife of six months a couple of friends to get away from the city. You are my wife. Got it? Any indications you give that you’re not and I will kill you and then I’ll kill your family.”

My eyes were wide with anger. Just when I thought I felt safe around him I felt like I rather be with Shane. His blue turned dark and lethal. He meant every word he was saying. It hurt me to see him this cold and I barely even knew the guy.

The hand that was holding mine up went down and around my waist.

“You’re evil, did you know that?” Pretending to be with Devlin reminded me when I had to pretend to be Nathan’s girlfriend for his aunt. I could still remember the glare Nathan sent me when I told his Aunt Mary that I was his girlfriend. Priceless. Anyhow, let’s continue.

Devlin’s serious look turned soft when I heard footsteps going down stairs.

“Smile.” He said through his smile.

I stuck out my tongue before turning on my smile. It was almost sincere.

“My boy!” I heard a rough voice say. Devlin turned me around with his arm still snaked around my waist. The man looked to be in his seventies and his hair was completely white. His skin was like Devlin’s and his eyes were like his too.

Devlin shook hands with his grandfather. Then his grandmother came. She was like an ordinary grandmother. She had those kind and sweet eyes. It made me really miss my grandmother on my mom’s side. She died to breast cancer.

Devlin had to let go of me to greet her grandmother with a kiss on the cheek and a big hug. Shane and Kane came to either side of me. Of course I leaned closer to Kane.

Devlin and his grandparents were having their moment. This only made me miss my family even more. I knew my parents were worried sick, not to mention my little brothers and my friends who were practically, no wait; they are my brothers and sisters.

Nathan must be driving himself crazy. The thought of him made my heart ache in both ways: the first because I missed him with all my might and the second because of what he almost did to me. He almost failed me with Lucy.

“Melinda.” I heard Devlin call me and I snapped back. He was extending his hand at me and narrowed his eyes; his grandparents couldn’t see him glaring at me. I put on my smile and took his hand. He pulled me in front of him. “This is Melinda, my wife, Melinda these are my grandparents Devlin O’Brien the first,” So Devlin was a third generation. “And my lovely grandmother Brianna.”

“A pleasure to finally meet you.” I shook their hands. Brianna gave me a hug and I was startled at first but then relaxed, then I got freaked out when I felt something drip on my back. She was crying.

“Thank you, my dear thank you so much, you saved my little Devlin from his loneliness.” She sobbed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, please. =]