I'd Run Away With You

Final Destination

The days passed as the group of friend continued to move through the country, never staying in one place for more than a couple of days. The news had got out that Ava was missing, people were searching all over for the runaway princess, "We really can't get out of the country now." Mikey said with a worried tone in his voice.
"I'm sorry I dragged you guys into this." Ava whispered.
Gerard pulled her into his arms and held her close, "You didn't. We chose to do this." She laid her head against his chest and closed her eyes, trying to shut the world around her out, "We could…try Canada." Mia suggested, "I've always wanted to go there."
"Try and get in?"
"Yeah…"
"It's a risk and a half." Ava mumbled.
"One we're willing to take?" Mia asked. Mikey nodded slowly, followed by Frank, Gerard and finally, Ava.
"Ok, Canada it is."

They began driving again, making their way north on the back roads to avoid the ongoing search for Ava. She had become more tense, little noises made her jump and even though she tried to hide it, Gerard had noticed. The nearer they got to the Canadian border, the tenser she became, "Hey, we'll be ok."
She smiled weakly at him, "I hope."

Finally, after two days driving, they reached the border, "Ok guys, act like you're not hiding anything." Frank muttered as a border control guard walked over to the car.
"We're not hiding anything." Gerard said, giving Ava's hand a squeeze.
"Passports please." The guard said. They handed their passports over, each and every one of them praying they'd get by unnoticed, "If you could just park over there sir…" The guard said in a bored monotone before walking away. Mikey cast a worried look over his friend before driving over to the area he had been told. The guard returned with three more accompanying him, "Could you all please step outside the car, slowly, make no sudden moves." They got out the car and stood in a huddle, Gerard's arms winding their way protectively around Ava's waist. The guards moved towards the group, looking at Ava, "Ma'am, your highness, please come with us."
"What?! No!" Gerard exclaimed.
"You stay back! Move away!" The guards yelled at the group as they tried to keep Ava with them. One of them grabbed her arm and wrenched her from Gerard's grasp. She struggled but wasn't strong enough, "It's ok your highness, you're free from your captors now. We'll take you to safety."
"They're…not…my captors!" she screamed as she tried to get back, "They're my friends!"
"We're her friends! We did nothing wrong!"
"You are under arrest. Yo-"
"NO!"
"You have the right to remain silent, anything you say can and will be used against you."
"Ava! AVA!" Gerard struggled, yelled and kicked as Ava was lead back to her former life, the life she had left for him.

A month later

Ava moped around the palace as if she were a zombie. She hadn't smiled, laughed or joked properly ever since that day. The day they were parted. They had tried talking to each other over the phone, over the internet, but it wasn't the same and neither of them could handle the separation.

Gerard had sunk into depression. His drinking had got to the point where he couldn't make it through a day without a bottle or two of whatever he could lay his hands on. It had spiralled and got way out of hand, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Her phone rang, "Hello?"
"Ava…"
"Gee?!"
"Please…sit down…somewhere."
"What's wrong? You sound…awful." She sat down against a wall.
"I…I need to…let you know…I can't live on…"
"What are you talking about?"
"I've done it…I said I would…I knew…I knew it would happen."
"Gerard, please, what's going on?"
"I just…just wanted to hear…you…before I go. Don't worry…it won't hurt me…much. The ambulance…they're on their way…I won't be here…when they arrive."
"Gee." Ava choked as she realised what he had done.
"I'm sorry…I can't live…without you. I'm too tired…to fight. I just want you…by my side, but you're not. You're…you're long gone now."
"I'm here Gee. I'm always here."
"Please…stay with me."
"I'm not leaving."
"I'm…I'll always be watching you. Always…I'll be with you…always."
"I know." A single tear rolled down her cheek.
"I just want…you to know…that I love you. Always…and forever."
"I love you too, forever and on."
There was a silence, "Gee?"
He cried out in pain, "Gee, it's ok. I'm here, I'm here always." Another tear made it's way from her eye, "Ava…I…love…you. Goodbye."
He dropped the phone as he gave out his last breath.
She took the phone away from her ear, unable to hold back her tears, she sat, her back to the wall, head in hands and knees drawn up, "Goodbye Gee."