Like Star Crossed Lovers

Like Them

September 1st, 2001

I breathed deeply, trying to regain my normal breathing pace as I stared at the girl across from me. I bent my knees and moved my gaze to the referee standing between us, as the whistle was blown and I jumped to hit the ball first. And like usual, I knocked the ball to my teammate.

'Number seven. Her name issss... uhhh,' I thought as I ran down the court.

"Starfeild!" number seven called.

She passed the ball high through the air and I jumped right before the player on the other team, that stood near me, could get it. I dribbled it down the court and passed it to Number twelve, who got it further down the court, passed it to Alice, and then I found the ball back in my possession as the crowd gasped at the short amount of time left on the clock.

'Ten seconds? I can take that,' I smiled and took the shot.

"Five, Four, Three, Two," the crowed chanted as the ball went through the hoop with one second to spare.

Everyone erupted in cheers as I had won the final game before we went on the school trip to New York. I felt myself being lifted off the ground and I soon took notice of my teammates holding me up as they cheered.

I heard chants of "Way to go Starfeild!" and "Another win, thanks to you!"

"One person doesn't make a team," I smiled as they placed me back on the firm ground.

I was engulfed in hugs and was given pat's on the back and high fives. My team is really my only family. The closest thing I have to one anyway.

"Nice save Starfeild. You've really got a talent for this," my coach grinned and pated me on the back.

I'd heard that allot and what she meant is that I'm definitely getting a scholarship for basketball.

I scanned the gym for any sign of the one person I wanted to be there.

'He promised,' I sighed. 'Why do I even care anymore?'

I stood firmly in the middle of the gym as it slowly cleared of people. Once it was down to the last group of random teens, I walked over to the bench and grabbed my bag pulling out my cell-phone and checking if my dad had even left a message telling me why he wasn't there. Finding that he hadn't I trudged out of the gym and into the front lobby, walking to the front exit.

'Screw showers, I need a smoke,' I thought. 'And I can always take one when I get home.'

I walked out of the front doors, waving at the secretary who smiled happily at me. I pulled my hoodie out of my gym bag and pulled it lazily over my thin frame. From the pocket I pulled out the small cartridge of cigarettes. I flipped the top open pulling one out and placed it between my lips.

I shoved my hands into the pockets of my hoodie and didn't even bother to light my cigarette. My feet seemed all the more interesting as I passed a few people that I recognized from random classes that I had with them. As I settled on walking all the way home, I moved my gaze to look around me. The sky was fading and it's beautiful shades of blue, red, and a soft pink were soon to be replaced with hypnotizing grays, dark midnight blues, and lighter shades of black.

My nostrils were quickly filled with ocean air as I walked down a slope that led to the sandy shores of the beach. I navigated my way home and once at the large doors, I pulled a shimmering silver key from my pocket. Before opening the door I removed the cigarette from my lips and slid it into my hoddie. If my mom found out that I smoke, I would be skinned alive.

I pushed the door open and, just as I had expected, no lights were on. No sign of life. I dropped my bag onto the ground and shoved the door closed, turning the lock and beginning a search for what I would need for my senior trip to New York.

I trudged gloomily up the winding emerald carpeted stairs and down the long hall, with the many pictures of relatives and myself, my parents and better times. Upon finding the room of which I called my own I turned the nob and walked in, flipping the light switch on, so I could see. I walked over to the cage on my desk, which belonged to my pet dwarf hamster, Fig. I glanced into the cage and smiled an almost invisible smile upon seeing the small gray, brown, white, and off blue ball of fur. She glared back at me through the little bars and walked over to the door of the cage. Her black bead like eyes sparkled with happiness as I opened the cage and reached my hand in pulling her out. I picked up her running ball and removing the lid, placed her inside. I placed the grayish-yellow ball onto the floor and she was off to explore my room.

I grinned as she rolled over my feet and into shelves. After watching her for a few moments I walked over to my closet. My eyes sped through the clothing that hung from black hangers, organized in color order. Not my idea of course. I pulled whatever I thought looked decent and threw it all onto my bed. From the top of the closet I pulled out a suitcase and placed it beside the pile of clothes.

Yanking my black hoddie over my shoulders, I threw it onto the floor making sure that it didn't land on Fig. I pushed my shoes off of my feet and kicked them under my bed. Slowly I opened the suitcase and began folding clothes and placing them inside.

I counted out the days I would be gone in my head. '2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th,13th. Twelve days. '

I stopped folding shirts, jeans, and other articles of clothing for a moment to glance around my room. The sea foam green walls with white trimming seemed to scream out for me not to leave. The midnight blue carpet was soft under my feet. The oak book case lurked over me with it's three empty shelves. The dressers, desk, and vanity, made to match the book case, sat lonely in their places around the seemingly empty room. And then there was the window. The dark blue it showed off from the outside world shown brightly through the glass. I sighed heavily noting to take another walk once my parents returned home and were asleep.

As I began to fold once more I heard heavy foot steps from the stairs. Once the sound was right outside my door it stopped and from the other side a knock echoed through the thin wood.

"Yes?" I turned my attention to the door.

"Can I come in?" my fathers tired voice questioned from the other side.

"Yeah, sure," I waited.

The door opened and my fathers tired figure entered the room. He walked over to me and put an arm around my shoulders.

"How was school, princess?" he questioned, kissing the top of my head.

"It was fine. I won the game today," I replied in a monotone voice.

"Oh, honey I'm so sorry," he exclaimed. "I missed the game?"

"Yeah, but it's fine," I sighed in response.

"So, packing for your big trip?" he moved his arm from my shoulders, walking over to my desk and sitting down in the chair.

"Yep."

"Maybe you could come see me at work sometime. Since you'll be staying close by and all."

I didn't answer, so he continued.

"You wouldn't mind coming to see your old man at work like you used to, right?" he asked anxiously.

"I'd love to, dad," I glanced over at him.

He grinned and stood up walking toward the door.

"I'll see you at dinner, princess," he yawned.

"Alright. Oh, dad? Can you be sure to feed Fig while I'm gone?" I blurted.

"Of course honey," he smiled and pulled the door shut behind him.

I sighed heavily and looked down at the shirt in my hand. I shoved the pink tank top into my suitcase and pulled the top of the suitcase over everything inside of it. I pulled the shimmering gold zipper shut and I sat down on my bed. I stared blankly at the wall across from me and went over everything in my head.

'They wanted me to be,' I paused in my thoughts. 'Perfect, but no-one is perfect. Am I just a disgrace to the family?'

I stood up from my spot and walked over to the dresser. I picked up a picture frame, that was decorated with sea shells and pink ribbon. In the frame was a picture of three smiling people. A mother, a father, and a daughter. They're standing on a beach, together after a day of being, together. They're all smiling, and they're all happy. The little girl found a sea shell and her dad told her it was special, and that she should keep it, forever. The mother had taken the week off from work just to spend time with the girl and the father.

'What happened? Why can't we still be like this?' a tear slid down my cheek.

"Carren! Dinner," my mother called from the bottom of the stairs outside of my room.

"Coming," I called back to her, and wiped at the tear with the back of my right hand.

I set the picture frame back down and I walked over to the mirror. My eyeliner was only a smudge off so I fixed it quickly before I found Fig and put her in her cage, then walked out of my room and down the stairs to the dinning room.

A silent meal, like always.