Like Star Crossed Lovers

Automatic Strangers

September 3rd, 2001

I stumbled down the side walk. Sure the teacher had strictly forbidden us to leave the hotel without someone with us, not to mention, without permission. But I needed another smoke. And I needed it bad.

Now all I have to do, is pray that I can find a convenience store, and some sucker to buy me a pack. Shouldn't be to hard.

As I was walking, I glanced at the sky to see if maybe a star was showing in the black sky. Not one in sight. Of course not, I'm in New York City. The city that never sleeps.

I found a small convenience store, and looked around hoping someone would fall for that stupid charm Carly and Courtney say I have. I'm just contemplating becoming a lawyer.

I glared through the glass door, mentally kicking myself when no one was inside. I pulled out my empty cigarette carton and threw it onto the ground, smashing it under my shoes.

With my hands on my sides I took in a large gulp of air, closing my eyes tight. My shoulders relaxed and I started to feel better.

That would have lasted longer, if someone didn't slam into me. An arm wrapped around my waist before I could fall over, a hand being placed on my back.

"I am so sorry," the man who had bumped into me gasped, with a slight Jersey accent.

"N-no, it's.. it's fine." I stuttered, looking up at the man, his hazel orbs full of embarrassment.

"Where did that jackass go?!" I heard yelling from the direction he had come.

"Oh, fuck!" he growled letting go of me and looking over his shoulder.

As the shouts got louder he looked around franticly, and being spontaneous (which was weird for me) I pushed the man into the alley beside us, standing in front of him like he wasn't there.

Three men ran past us, hardly noticing me standing there. Once they were well out of site I turned around to make sure I hadn't shoved the guy into a wall or something.

And there he was, right as I turned, staring down at me.

He smiled," Wow, thanks. Can I do anything to pay you back for that?"

"Oh god yes! I.." I kneeled down to pick up the discarded carton. "Need a pack. They wouldn't believe I'm twenty-one, and I forgot my id."

"Oh, yeah sure. What brand?" he smiled.

"Uhh, camel." I held up the box, speaking nervously.

He nodded, and I handed him the money for them. He walked inside and strait to the counter. I looked at the amazingly empty street. It was finally getting quiet in the city that never slept. It was almost beautiful at night.

Maybe, I could find my own Spider-man in this place. Maybe, I could forget about Smith. Maybe, I could get over him. Maybe I-

"Here you go," the guy was now standing beside me, holding a pack of camel cancer sticks in his hand.

"Oh thank you so much!" I took them and quickly tapped the container against my wrist, before peeling the plastic away and ripping a cigarette out and lighting it as fast as my fingers would go. "That is so much better."

I heard the man laugh beside me. I took a drag of the cigarette and looked over at him as I exhaled.

He had about six inches on me, height wise. His black hair was cut short and was a slight mess. His skin seemed almost perfect, even though his cheeks were a little pudgy. His pale lips were cracked, probably from lack of chap stick. The most intriguing part about this man, were his beautiful hazel eyes. They sparkled so brightly. There was so much depth to them.

"I'm Gerard." he stuck a hand out for me to shake.

"Carren." I shook it.

This guy, Gerard, was so approachable. Or maybe, it was just the fact that he ran into me in the middle of a New York City side walk and was being chased by three really strong looking guys.

"So what exactly did you do, to make those three guys chase you?" I asked gesturing in the direction they had ran.

"Well, I uhhh, tripped into one of they're cars and I sort of put this huge dent in it," he made a face, wrinkling his nose. "What about you? You don't look like your from around here."

"Oh, I'm from Rhode Island. I'm here on a trip with some friends." I looked up at the black sky, exhaling smoke from my mouth.

"Well, I'm really from Jersey myself, so," he trailed off, pulling a cigarette from his pocket and lighting it up.

I nodded and conversation seemed to die at that point. We both just stood there in the surprisingly comfortable silence.

"Carren!" my coach's voice called from around a corner.

"Fuck!" I cried, taking one last drag off my cigarette, dropping it and smashing it under my foot.

"Uhh, see you around?" Gerard asked, as I turned to run in the direction my coach was coming from.

"Ye-yeah. See you." I smiled the warmest smile I could conjure up.

He returned it with his own, dazzling grin, that was almost twisted. I turned then, and ran to my coach, coming up with the excuse of not being able to sleep, which worked. Within about only ten minutes, we were back at The Hilton, and Coach even got me some ice cream, because she felt like it. Before I knew it, I was back in my hotel room, Courtney fast asleep on her bed.

I walked over to the bed that I had claimed, by the window, and I laid back closing my eyes. I tried so hard to sleep, but all I could see was that dazzlingly twisted grin, and those beautiful hazel eyes.

Who knew, that a stranger could put me under some strange spell, like one that a vampire puts on their next victim? Especially someone so, perfectly imperfect.