Like Star Crossed Lovers

Comfortable

September 4th, 2001

The crisp September air, nipped dully at my neck. The sun was bright, as I walked into the large building, to see my father. Smiling, I walked toward the elevator, pressing the button for the 100th floor. Laughing slightly, I knew this would take forever.

Tapping my foot, I listened intently to the sounds of the elevator lurching upward. The man I had met on the streets kept entering my mind. His bright smile, and dazzling green eyes. I shook my head as the door opened on the elevator, allowing someone inside.

"One hundred, huh?" the women smiled trying to start a conversation.

"Yeah. My dad works on that floor." I mumbled keeping my eyes toward the floor.

"Huh. What's his name? Maybe I know 'em."

"David Starfeild." I answered, shortly.

"Oh, David! Then you must be Carren! He talks about you all the time," she laughed, holding her hand out towards me. "I'm Kathy."

I reached out and shook her hand numbly, smiling my best. "Nice to meet you, Kathy."

After that she started rambling on, about the things my father had told her. I just smiled and nodded, trying my best not to hear another person giving me worthless complements.

The doors finally opened on the 100th floor, and I told Kathy good-bye, walking out onto the floor. I searched aimlessly for my fathers office. Finding it, I smiled happily, and knocked on the door excited. After a moment, the door was opened, by my father, who looked utterly worn out.

When he registered who he was looking at, he smiled and pulled me into a hug, squeezing me tight.

"Princess! How are you! Long elevator trip?" he grinned letting me pass him into his office.

"I'm fine. New Yorks great so far. And yeah it was quite the trip. But Kathy sure can talk." I smiled at him.

"Oh, you met Kathy," he said blankly.

"Yeah. Unfortunately."

Glancing around his office, I walked to the large window. Sighing contently I placed my fingers against the glass, stairing down at the people 100 floors below.

"Still not scared of heights?" he smiled resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Never," I smiled up at him.

He smiled proudly back at me, and placed a hand on my head. For a moment, I felt four years old again. My father was so proud of me, for winning at a gymnastics competition. Even though I quit two weeks later. He was still proud.

I glanced down at my hands. "Well, I should get going."

"Oh, alright. I'll, uh, see you soon, then princess." I heard his smile fade.

I gave my father a parting glance. "Bye, Daddy."

With that, I left his office, closing the door behind me. I stood there for a moment, my eyes downcast. It was always the same. We had become so content in the places we were, even if we didn't like them. They were still comfortable.

I pushed myself from the door and embarked on my long journey back to the bottom floor. Focusing my brain onto something that wouldn't push me even farther down.

Once I was outside I walked quickly toward the nearest Star-bucks. I pushed the glass door open and took a deep breath. The smell of caffeine rushed into my nostrils, and relaxed my muscles.

I walked to the counter. "Can I get a Caramel Frapacino, tall?"

"I'll get that to you in just a moment miss." the lady behind the counter answered.

I moved to the side so other people could get their coffee, and waited in silence for mine. I took a quick glance around the room, my eyes landing on a familiar face.

As he began to look in my direction I turned around quickly trying not to be recognized. I accepted my Frapacino from the lady, and paid for it, trying my best to flea the building in a casual way.

After I got about half way down the block, I turned to see if I was being fallowed. Of course not. That only happens in story books. No special Spider-man for me. I turned and continued to make my way back to the hotel, hoping no one would notice I was gone.

I took a long drink from my frapacino. I inhaled and looked around, watching the people come and go. As I was walking, I noticed someone even their pace with mine, so they could walk beside me. I looked toward the person, quickly wishing I hadn't.

"Hi there stranger." Gerard gave me that dazzling smile.

"Hey there." I replied.

"Where you heading to?"

"Hotel." I said.

"Can I walk with you?" he began to walk backwards so he could look at me while he spoke.

"I suppose." I nodded. "I mean, if you'd like to."

He laughed lightly, and began walking beside me again. We were silent for a moment, as my thoughts started picking at me.

"So why are you here?" he looked over at me.

"A trip with some friends." I watched my feet, before looking up watching the people in front of me.

"Right. I asked that already." he said, embarrassed.

"Thats alright." I assured him, retrieving a cigarette from my jean pocket. "Do you have a light?"

"Uhh, yeah." he answered, fumbling through his pockets, lighting my cigarette.

I smiled placing it between my lips as we came to the hotel building.

"Well, it was nice seeing you again." I turned to him with a smile.

"Yeah," he said dazed. "Oh! Carren, you dropped your cellphone. That's why I followed you in the first place."

"Oh! Thank you." I blinked accepting it from him. "I'll see you around, Gerard."

I turned and walked into the hotel, making my way quickly to Courtney and I's room. Once inside I rushed to the bathroom, putting my cigarette out, and flushing it down the toilet.

"Hey there. Who's that Prince Charming you were with?" Courtney asked, laying upside down reading a magazine on her bed.

"What?" I looked at her surprised.

"It's nothing, sweetie." she looked back at her magazine.

With a sigh I laid down on my bed, looking at my cellphone. I pressed a button, getting ready to call my mom, speed dial 2, but the name that popped up on the screen was Gerard. I let a smile cross my lips, and a small giggle escape.

I'm beginning to love New York.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short. Again. Sorry.
I fixed the problem there at the end.