Status: Hiatus

I Can't Believe This

Aftershocks

Lisa, it’s Billie. I’m at Tré’s. Rhianna broke up with him and he’s pretty upset. I’ll be home as soon as I can. I love you. Bye.

So she did break up with him. I figured she would. God, Tré must feel like shit. I grabbed my hoodie again and ran out the door to my car.

I pulled into Tré’s driveway and ran up to the door, knocking furiously. Mike finally answered and pulled me inside. “He’s in his room, Billie’s in the kitchen getting him something to drink."

I hurried to his room and gently pushed open the door. Tré was laying on his bed, asleep by the look of him. I sat down on the bed next to him. His cheeks were stained with dried tears. I reached out and softly stroked his hair. That’s when I noticed the little black velvet box in his right hand. He was clutching it to his chest and inside was the most beautiful engagement ring I’d ever seen. “Oh Tré,” I whispered. “I’m so sorry.”


***

I ran my hand through Trés hair, then stood up and made my way to the kitchen. Turning the corner, I smacked into Billie. "Hey," I said.

"Hey. How's he doing?"

"He's asleep."

Billie nodded, turned, and went back into the kitchen, dumping the glass of water out into the sink. "Guess he won't need this then." He leaned against the counter and crossed his arms. "Why'd Rhianna do that to him?" His eyes had the first metallic glint of anger in them. "She knew how he felt about her. And a phone call? She could have at least had the decency to tell him in person!"

I bit my lip and looked down. "I know why she did it," I whispered. "We had a fight earlier and things just boiled over." I still hadn't looked up. "She started saying all this stuff about you and me and our realtionship. And I asked her a few questions about her and Tré, and she told me that she didn't love him." My gaze lifted to Billie's.

He didn't say anything for a moment. His face looked calm, but I knew better. I could see the slight tension in his jaw. "She told you she didn't love him?"

"Yeah. And then I got even more pissed, telling her that Tré is the best guy she's ever been with and that she shouldn't be treating him like shit. Then I told her to leave." I could feel my blood pulsing through my veins, anger igniting in me all over again. "But I didn't think she'd end things over the phone!"

Mike walked in then, shaking his head. "He's awake again. And all he keeps saying is 'why?' over and over."

My eyes narrowed involuntarily. That was it. If Rhianna thought that she could just break his heart like that and not expect any consequences, then she had another thing coming. I needed to talk to her. Or rather, shake her and figure out what the hell would make her break up with him over the phone. But I had something to do first. I marched back to Tré's room and softly knocked on the door. "Tré?" I whispered.

His voice was ragged when he answered. "Lisa?"

I slowly opened the door, poking my head through the doorway. "Yeah, it's me. Can I come in?"

"Sure."

After stepping in and closing the door, I sat down next to him on the bed, my head down. At least he was sitting up now. I opened my mouth, but promtly shut it again. Suddenly, I didn't know what to say to him. I mean, what was the appropriate thing to say to someone who had just lost the person they loved? The person they were going to propose to? "Sorry?" "There are plently of other fish in the sea?" Hardly. My throat closed and I felt tears prick my eyes. I lifted my head and met his gaze. His icy baby blues were glistening with unshed tears. There was no need for words. Leaning forward, I wrapped my arms around Tré. His arms came around my waist as his head rested on my shoulder. I could feel the salt water seeping into my sweater.

"Why?" he whispered, his voice barely audible. "Why doesn't she love me?" His voice cracked.

The tears in my eyes welled up and spilled down my cheeks. "I don't know, Tré. I don't know."

I don't know how long we sat there. Minutes? Hours? Days? Time meant nothing. Tré had laid back down, whispering a 'thank-you', before falling into another restless sleep. I stood up, placed a kiss on his forehead, then went back out to the living room. I fished my car keys out of my pocket and stormed past Billie Joe and Mike. "I'll be back later," I said, slamming the door behind me. It was time to get some answers.

***

My car screeched to a halt outside of the apartment building. I raced through the door and up the five flights of stairs. Reaching the familiar door, I swiftly knocked. Nothing. I knocked again, harder this time. I was just about to knock again when the door swung open, revealing Rhianna, in a black dress and a purse clutched in her hand. She opened her mouth, but I cut her off, pushing into the apartment. "Why?" I demanded, whirling around to face her.

"Hello to you too."

Ignoring her comment, I decided to be more specific. "Why would break up with him over the phone?"

"Oh, so you heard about that." She looked guilty. It wasn't sincere though. She looked sorry for getting caught. A kid with her hand in the cookie jar.

"Yes. I did. Now why?" My hands were trembling, the anger making me want to hit something. Or rather, someone. And I wasn't usually a violent person.

"I just thought it would be easier that way. No need to hurt him." She shrugged.

"No need to hu--" I took a deep breath. "News flash, Rhianna! It's too damn late for that! You already hurt him!"

"Well, sorry. But, is it better to stay in a relationship where the love isn't mutual?" She glared at me.

"No. What I'm saying is that you shouldn't have..."

"Done it over the phone, yeah, I got that part. Maybe I shouldn't have. But I did. And I can't change the past. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a date." She brushed past me and grabbed her purse that sat on the couch.

I scoffed. "Are you fucking serious?" I demanded. "Do you hear yourself? A date? You just broke up with someone today!" God, what the hell is wrong with me? There's no use fighting with her about it. It's not going to change things. And I definitely wasn't going to be getting any answers.

But I still felt the need to yell at her, to make her feel some kind of remorse. I didn't want to do it for me though. I wanted to do it for Tré. He deserved something, and at that moment, it was the only thing I could think of.

"I know. But I'm over it. So, kindly leave my home." She walked past me and opened the door. "You'r welcome here anytime. But right now you need to go."

"Ha! I wouldn't come back here again for all the money in the Federal Reserve." With that I walked past her and out into the hallway.

I sighed as I slipped into my car. My hands and forehead rested on the steering wheel. I knew I shouldn't be surprised by what she did, and yet...

I was. I was truly surprised. I thought she'd grown up.

Obviously, I had been wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Sorry this chapter is short. The next one will be longer though. Thanks for reading! :D
And thank you for all the wonderful comments. They inspire me.
<3 Lisa