Be Together for One More Night

Rear View Mirror

I sat in the passenger seat of my dad's rental car. I had two suitcases in the boot filled with all my possessions. The ones I dramatically claimed I simply couldn't live without. My crutches were laid across the back seat, ready for when I had to hobble out of the car and through the airport. I hoped with my sudden disability, people would hold doors open and move aside, inside of being rude.

The heavy plaster was still wrapped around my leg, encouraging the healing process. I glared down at it. I could barely wear anything properly anymore, that's why I was sitting here in one of my more provocative skirts. It was itchy and uncomfortable. I longed to wear the skinny jeans I'd made my dad pack in the suitcases, though I knew I wouldn't get the material around the huge pot.

Folding my arms I glanced out of the window to see dad standing on the doorstep of mum's house. He was probably reassuring her that he'd take good and proper care of me. I don't know why he was even bothering, it's not as if she was going to notice I was away. She'd be too blind drunk to give a damn anyway. Brian appeared behind her, laying one thick, heavy, calloused hand on her shoulder and saying something to dad. It wasn't long till the conversation was wrapped up and dad had opened the car door, sliding our passports and tickets onto the dash board. He shoved the key into the ignition and turned a dial to switch on the radio, he began singing along with Whitesnake as he drove away.

This was it, I was finally getting away. Away from the constant abuse and neglect as Kyle had put it.

We flashed past familiar views, one of them being the park. The same park where Claudia was stabbed, where Caleb and Kyle had a fight because of me. We then came towards a bench, where a familiar red head was seated. He was sucking on a cigarette, flicking ash on the ground. He shot me a smirk and a small wave as we went by and I smiled at him. He did care, even though he pretended not to.

Dad was still singing at the top of his lungs, tapping on the steering wheel in time with the drum beat as we came around another corner and onto a very familiar road, with a very familiar house.

Two figures were standing outside said house. One with dark frizzy hair, the other with straightened bleached hair. Both of them watched as we drove past. My heart sunk. I was disappointed that Kyle hadn't burst through the gate and thrown himself in front of the car.

"Dad, stop the car," I demanded.

He stopped singing and slowed down slightly, looking at me in confusion. "Why, love?"

"Just, stop it, please."

He did as I asked and I threw the door open, struggling to get out and hobble back towards Kyle's house. The pot was heavy and weighed me down stupidly. Kyle walked down the path and came out into the street. "Wait there, Isla, I don't want you to hurt yourself. Again." He quickly caught up to where I was standing.

I threw my arms around his neck. "I'm so sorry. I love you so much."

His arms wrapped around me tightly in response and he squeezed the air out of my lungs. "I love you too. I'm sorry I didn't come and see you again."

"I'm sorry I kissed Caleb."

I pulled away from him slightly and stared up into his eyes, losing myself for a moment.

"It's fine. I talked it over with Caleb, as gay as that sounds. There was no violence involved, don't worry. I've realised that underneath his jerk-ish attitude that he's an okay guy. He cares about you Isla, so much more than either of us realise. Though I still blame him for all the problems, like your memory and Claudia getting shot and so many other things I couldn't possibly list right now."

I nodded and gasped, "Claudia! Is she - "

"She's fine. She's going home tomorrow."

"Good." I sighed. "I read the letter, and I have one request for you Kyle, wait for me."

He raised one eyebrow in confusion. "Wait?"

"For one month. I'm not going to Ireland for good. I'm only staying with my dad for a month, so I'm coming back."

He smiled. "I can wait. A month might drag, but it'll be worth it."

I pecked his lips. "It will, I want to marry you, Kyle. I love you, and I want to spend every waking moment with you."

He took my hand and looked at the ring sparkling on my finger, linking his fingers with my own and smiling to himself.

"Isla! Come on, or we're going to miss this flight!" Dad's voice drifted over to us.

I groaned and pecked Kyle's lips again. "I love you and I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Yeah. Be careful, don't go breaking the other leg. I love you."

I hobbled back towards the car, gently letting our fingers untangle as I went. I clambered back into the car and slammed the door behind me, pulling the seat belt across and clicking it into place. "Nice way to ruin the moment, dad!" I scoffed, folding my arms and looking out of the rear view mirror at Kyle. The grin never left his face, and he waved slightly. I watched him until he completely disappeared from view.

Dad turned a dial on the stereo, making the car quieter, so he could speak clearly. "Kyle asked me to give you something. It's on the backseat." He turned the music back up and sung along with the classic rock song that was blasting from the speakers.

I awkwardly turned in my seat and reached onto the back, feeling a book with my hands. I picked it up and turned back around, placing it in my lap. I recognised this. It was my old photo album. The front cover was slightly faded and the colour had run from the rain, after Kyle had thrown it out of my bedroom window. A lot of things went out of that window.

I opened it up to see the plastic pages were now empty. No smiling faces were being held behind the tiny pockets. No memories left in the book. Something written on the back of the front cover caught my eye and I flipped the clear pages so I could see it properly.

Isla, you don't need to remember to be you. x

This was it. I'd lost my memory, yes. The past eighteen years had vanished, gone forever. I wasn't going to get those memories back, true. But now I had a whole future ahead of me to make so many more memories, and the pages of this book were going to be filled with the future, instead of the past.

I closed the book and sat back in my seat, smiling at the ring that sparkled on my finger. This was the perfect ending for the perfect beginning. One book had closed and another was about to be opened.
♠ ♠ ♠
THANK YOU if you've commented this. Even more so if you subscribed, and just thank you for reading altogether.
I hope this ending wasn't too cheesy for you!