Thinking Out Loud

Oneshot

“Gerard, where did you put it?” Mikey asked in frustration.

“Put what?” his older brother questioned absentmindedly, brushing some hair out of his eyes.

“That book I brought home the other day.”

“What makes you think I took it? I’m reading my own book, thank you.”

Mikey sighed heavily. “You always take my stuff without realizing it.”

“I do not,” Gerard insisted. Mikey’s shadow suddenly fell across him, blotting out the dark lines of text before his eyes.

“You’re reading it right now, Gee.” Gerard rolled his eyes in response. Mikey’s voice sounded like the annoying drone of a bee.

“You know what would be really cool? If you would put in a good word for me with your boss at the bookstore and help me get a job like you said you would.” He memorized the number of the page he was reading and closed the book to show Mikey the cover. “Then I could buy my very own copy of it.”

Mikey quickly snatched it out of his brother’s loosened grip, pointing to a spot on the cover just after the third word of the title. “You know what would be really cool? If you would put a ‘my’ in front of this. Because it’s mine.”

Gerard blinked. “‘My Chemical Romance?’”

“No. My book. Genius.” Mikey scowled at him one more time before turning and stomping away. Gerard shrugged and picked up another book from the stack next to him. He flipped through a few pages to get an idea of the difficulty, then started reading the back cover.

“And don’t touch that,” Mikey added, peeking into the room from the kitchen. “It’s new.”

Gerard thought for a moment, looking at the title of the book Mikey had just scolded him for touching. London Fire was written across the cover in bold print, surrounded by flames. “…‘New London Fire’…‘My Chemical Romance’…” He muttered each phrase a few times, liking the sound of each one.

“Did you say something, Gerard?” Mikey asked in confusion. Gerard shook his head.

“Just thinking out loud.”