Into Abeyance

Voodoo Doll

...Voodoo idol, voodoo idol
The night came down
The sky turned black...


The song continued and she followed the intoxicating beat, mumbling the words she knew so well. She tilted her head to the side and her neck cracked, for the first time she realized her body was sore and tense, as if she had been in an uncomfortable position for a very long time. She, very gently and in a paused matter, pushed herself into a sitting position. Apparently, she wasn’t the only one that had fallen asleep in the floor, several sets of bodies stood around her, their chests rising and falling. She listened as ‘Creature of the Black Lagoon’ started this time. This was the kind of music they always played when the rave had hit around six in the morning, good old Pshyco/Rockobilly type shit. The Cramps was just the music to listen to.
She stood up.
Drunk? Check. High? Check. Joints on pocket? Check. Money? Check. Good.
She thought to herself as she stumbled out of the place of tipped tables, the multicolored lights running around the dance floor, the strong smell of drugs and alcohol and the obnoxiously loud good music. She saw her friend Hanna with her short red and white polka dot skirt askew and her metallic golden swimsuit used as a bra. She was beside her boyfriend of sorts, completely knocked out.
Lia chuckled to herself as she went out the back door with the ‘Exit’ sign on top, from which the only letters had been the ‘e’ and the ‘ex’ and a smart person had added and ‘s’ in front.
Lia threw herself into the traffic, her leather boots resonating against the gravel amongst the angry beeps of the horn she received. She knew this was the only way of crossing a street in this busy city, and she was sure the drivers appreciated her life more than she did, anyway. If they hit her they would have to pay and they didn’t want that, did they?
She pulled the furry hood on top of her head, brushing one swift strand of greasy blond hair aside. She strutted the streets in a quick pace and silence, trying not to bump into any of the mass-produced “individuals” that walked the streets as well. She snorted at the thought,
There are few individuals in this wretched city. Central is taking over everything...
Her feet dragged her to the hospital’s door promptly. The large, white and intimidating building would’ve made anyone else turn away and decide to continue rotting under a bridge with their old Cd's and tapes, but not Lia. She sighed and took the crumbled paper from the inside pocket of her jacket and stared at it.
Central Hospital Facilities

Appointment for: Liliana Jones

Time: 10:30

Location: Central Main Hospital Facility


At least she was in the right place. She walked towards it, frowning. She hated when she had to talk to any of the zombies. Of course, they weren’t really zombies but she liked to see them that way. They were only the result of following rules from the wrong people, and leading a life she was not about to start living. They might as well be dead.

* * *

She stood by the open window looking at the snow falling quietly, her hands trembling slightly. She pressed the white joint to her pale thin lips and sucked in slowly, liberating the air in small puffs. Her eyelids fluttered and she groaned at the doctor’s lack of efficiency. Finally the door opened and steps came towards her. She quickly pressed the joint against the window sill and stuffed it on her front pocket. She hoped they wouldn’t catch the smell and just think the stink came from her old, ripped clothes rather than a new high.

“Mrs. Liliana Jones?”

The doctor asked professionally. As he approached she could almost count the remaining hair strands that were left on his head. He was most definitely a zombie, Lia thought to herself. The nurse behind him was short and plump, her features not at all pleasing.

“Lia.”

She responded without thinking. The doctor raised an eyebrow at her.

“So...What’s the deal?”

The doctor tried to remain calm at Lia’s nonchalant matter. He was known for his short patience and was afraid he might receive a memo if he yelled at a patient...again...

“The deal is that you’re dying.”

He said calmly, trying not to show just how venomous he wanted his words to sound. His impatience increased when Lia’s only reaction was a knowing look. She nodded at him to continue.

“You’re abusing drugs, Lia. Your system won’t take it for long. Central should give you what you need with this prescription.”

“So your giving me drugs for my drug problem?”

Lia asked with a laugh as she took the prescription from him and stuffed it on her other front pocket. She took her black coat and put it on.

“Who said you could leave? We have to report you and...”

“Bye...”

Lia said swiftly and quickly disappeared through the hallway.

“I’ll call security-“

The nurse started, eager to see what the tough security guards would do to the fragile-looking druggie. The doctor shook his head,

“God knows we have more important matters to deal with. Go and take a good look at those soldiers, report the less injured so they can go back to battle.”

* * *

Lia stepped into the outside hell once again, the people with suitcases, ties, and frown on their faces walking quickly, glaring at her if their eyes rested upon her.
She hated it, she hated it all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know first chapter is not that great but it'll get better, I swear!