Once Upon a Time

He's Not a Vampire.

I sighed to myself. The squirrel twins was, as usual, the first kids to arrive at my little apartment inside the hollow oak where I lived.
The twins giggled and squealed with excitement as we heard a knock on the door.
I went to open up and in ran small children of all kinds of animals. They sat down politely on the floor in front of my comfortable armchair and waited for me to sit down and read out of the big book of fairy tales.

Oh, how they loved those ridiculous stories. I smiled to myself and sat down.
"So, children", I said with my happiest voice. "Today I'll continue reading about MCR's big adventures. That'll be funny, right?"

They all nodded.
"Well, today we'll meet up with new animals in the tales..."

I opened the book and read out loud.

--

Gerard was a raccoon. His body-fur was gray and the fur around his eyes was black.
And Gerard, well... Gerard wasn't like other raccoons. He didn't like doing raccoon-things. He didn't like being in larger groups and refused to talk to people.
He was a special fellow, like the rest of the MCR gang.

So one day, Gerard sat down beside a tree (he refused to climb them. He was so scared of getting pricked in his small paws when he walked around on the branches that he thought he was better of on the ground... I told you, he was special) and did what he liked the most; watching Frank work out.

The sight of the chipmunk training his karate-abilities made him experience feelings like nothing else. He just wanted to hold Frank and kiss him... Woah, wait, hold on a sec! Kiss him? That was just ridiculous! Gerard was a special raccoon, but he wasn't a homosexual raccoon, was he? Of course not!

But still, Frank made him feel like no-one else would. When he'd bend down to pick something up. And when Toro hugged him, he felt an anger rise inside of him... But Gerard wouldn't ever dare to do something about it no, you see; Gerard wasn't as tough as you might think he was. Actually, he was a complete wussy.

"I see you watching Frank again," Gerard heard a voice say.

Gerard turned around to face Bob. Bob was a yellow bear, and his smile couldn't be warmer. He was the one who didn't drive everyone nuts, he always wanted everyone to feel good.
They all knew it was because of Bob's problem... But that was another story.

Gerard didn't reply. He never replied to anyone, except Mikey at rare occasions.

"I know you like him, Gerard," Bob said matter-of-factly.

Gerard picked up a slim branch and wrote "as a friend" in the sand.

Bob raised an eyebrow and was just about to say something before he was interrupted by an Italian accent.

"Boyfriend!"

Gerard was furious. His brother would always screw things up for him. And Gerard did speak when he was angry.

"Shut your pie-hole, gay mafia-boss-wannabe-thingy," Gerard growled. "You know I'll suck your Italian possum-blood if you keep talking like that."

Mikey sniffed, but Frank froze in his movements immediately.

"Wait – what?" He exclaimed. "Gerard's a vampire?"

He hid behind Bob with tears in his eyes.

Bob put his paws to his sides and sighed. "Now we're going to have to sing to him."

He whistled loudly, which made everyone come there.
Brian, the lion and Ray, the elephant, ran as fast as they could to under the tree.

"It's Fat And Alone time, guys," Bob explained, and they all broke out into song.

The song Fat And Alone by Pencey Prep always calmed a nervous Frankie down. Gerard sighed in relief as they finally finished the song and Frank ended up giggling in Bob's lap.

"And by the way, Frankie", Mikey said. "He's not a vampire – he's just gay."