I've Got A Secret, Please Don't Repeat It

chapter twenty one'

Rebecca pulled away from Fernando, furious at what she just allowed herself to do. She pushed Fernando off, and got up to walk away. Fernando grabbed onto her arm, not wanting to let her go. Rebecca turned around and growled at Fernando, expressing her disgust.

The photographer was having a field day with the scene he was witnessing in front of him. The passion, fury, tension that the pair were radiating was just spectacular. He knew that this photo shoot would be a success.

Rebecca finally released herself from Fernando’s grasp and turned to see the crew with wide eyes, having just witnessed the scene before them. She walked briskly past the crew, her eyes glued to the ground, until the photographer stopped her.

“That was amazing! I must have you two do more shoots for me. We’ll make soccer big!” he said, with a hand clap of approval.

Rebecca just stared at the man before her, was this guy crazy?

“I don’t think that will happen,” Rebecca said coldly and walked to the dressing room to get dry.

The photographer was flabbergasted and he turned to Fernando, “Are you two having a rough patch?”

Fernando growled, “We aren’t together and this was a huge mistake.”

The photographer sniffed, “It was a work of genius.”

Rebecca sat in the chair in the make-up and hair dressing room, staring at her reflection in the mirror. Dark purple bags lined her eyes, her lips looked pale and the sparkle in her eyes was gone, because of one boy.

The make-up artist from before came in holding what looked like a newspaper, “You better read this.”

Rebecca switched her gaze from the mirror to the newspaper. The front page read:

Love Square at the Euro Cup?
A love square appears to be forming at the Euro Cup, taking place in Austria and Switzerland. Rebecca Cortez of Spain has been sighted with Lukas Podolski, a striker from Germany and has been linked to Fernando Torres, a fellow teammate. But here comes the twist, Fernando Torres ex-fiancée, Olalla has come back into the picture. She had also been seen with Podolski.

Beneath the article was four pictures, the first was Rebecca and Lukas leaving the opening banquet together; with Lukas supporting a very drunk Rebecca. The second picture was of Rebecca and Fernando, when they spent the afternoon in the park. The next picture was of Fernando and Olalla making out, outside of the Spanish dressing room. The last picture was a photo shopped picture of Olalla and Lukas, having lunch at a restaurant.

Rebecca was speechless; this was the one thing that she didn’t want to happen. Luis would be furious. Rebecca looked up to the guy that gave her the tabloid paper, “When did this come out?”

“Today.”

Rebecca casted her gaze down again, her reputation was ruined.

“I don’t believe it, just to let you know.”

“Thank you, I just hope everyone else reacts the same.”

Rebecca and Fernando rode back to the hotel, neither one of them talking or even looking at each other. They both had read the tabloid paper and both didn’t know how to react. Rebecca went straight to her room, not wanting to speak to anyone. Fernando went to his room, completely distracted and slept with Olalla, because he didn’t know any better.

Sergio was very nervous; Rebecca had come back to the hotel, looking dazed and confused. He didn’t know what to do to brighten her spirits. So he went to Luis.

Luis was busy, trying to finalize his staring line-up for the match that day, when he was interrupted by a knock at his door.

“It’s open, come in.”

Sergio walked in, closing the door in the process. Luis motioned for Sergio to take a seat.

“I’m guessing you’ve come to talk to me about Rebecca.”

Sergio nodded, “I’m worried about her.”

It was Luis’ turn to nod, “As am I. But she is a tough girl, she’ll get through it.”

Sergio started to fume, “How can you say that? How can you deny her help? You’re like her father!”

Luis’ temper matched Sergio’s, “And as her surrogate father, I’m letting her work this out on her own.”

“But she needs help!”

“Who’s says I need help?”

Sergio and Luis looked to the doorway to see Rebecca standing there; she had heard their entire conversation.

Sergio fumbled for an excuse, “Bec…I…I didn’t –“

Rebecca put her hand up to silence Sergio and turned her attention to Luis, “I’m resigning from the team.”

Luis opened his mouth to protest, but Rebecca silenced him as well.

“This isn’t where I belong. I don’t belong on international teams; I don’t deserve to be playing along side professional athletes. I should be the one tending to them.”

Rebecca pinched the bridge of her nose, trying to hold back the tears.

“I wish that you hadn’t of convinced me to come and play, Uncle Louie.”

Luis and Sergio wore sadden looks, having a very good idea what Rebecca was going to say next.

“That’s why I’m leaving. Today.”

Luis finally spoke, “Rebecca. You can’t leave. Please don’t leave. The game is today.”

Rebecca shook her head, “I’m already packed and the taxi is waiting for me downstairs.”

Sergio couldn’t meet Rebecca’s eyes, “Why didn’t you just leave without saying goodbye? It would have made this easier on the both of us.”

This hit Rebecca hard and the tears began streaming down her face, “I had to say goodbye to the two most important men in my life.”

And with that, Rebecca turned and walked out of Luis’ room. She never looked back because she knew if she did, she wouldn’t be able to leave. She picked up her pace, as she heard Sergio shout, “Where are you going?”

She whispered to herself, “Away.”
♠ ♠ ♠
"I'm not coming back. I've done something so terrible. I'm terrified to speak, but you'd expect that from me. I'm mixed up, I'll be blunt. Now the rain is just washing you out of my hair."
~ All Time Low

this chapter killed me to write.
so please don't hate me.