I've Got A Secret, Please Don't Repeat It

chapter four'

Rebecca couldn’t believe her eyes, as much as she wanted to whip out her phone and text Rafa. She resisted the temptation. In front of her, sat an arrogant, cocky, pretty boy, but this pretty boy was her favourite soccer player from the Premiership.

She couldn’t understand why he was so cocky and arrogant, he had seemed so polite and sincere in interviews she had seen. But his attitude towards her today completely changed her attitude towards him. Rebecca spoke coldly towards Fernando, wanting the interview to be over as soon as possible.

Fernando left the room without even saying good-bye or a thank-you. Rebecca sighed as she packed up her stuff, locked her office door. Only to turn around to an eager looking Luis, “I hope you weren’t planning on going home any time soon?”

“Well…I…I was planning on it,” Rebecca replied, a little confused.

Luis laughed, “No mi querido, you’re coming to the practice.”

“Oh, okay. To look after the players?” Rebecca asked nervously, hoping she won’t hear the answer she dreaded.

“No, to play,” Luis replied with a grin on his face.

Rebecca looked frantically from the elderly man to the door and back to the elderly man. She tried to calculate the chances of beating Luis to the door, until she felt a familiar pair of arms grab on to her and hoist her onto their shoulders.

“Rammy! Let me go now!” Rebecca screamed, hitting Sergio in the back as hard as she could.

All Sergio did was laugh, running with her to the players’ dressing room, where she would have no chance of escaping.

For the first time her in life, Rebecca felt the blood rush to her cheeks as she stood in the dressing room. Rebecca had played on many boys’ soccer teams, changing in the same room, never feeling self-conscious or embarrassed.

Luis handed Rebecca a soccer kit, complete with socks, shin guards, and shoes. Rebecca knew she couldn’t argue with the man they call el Sabio de Hortaleza.

Hesitantly, she made her way to an empty stall and proceeded to change into the soccer kit. All the while, getting many nervous and confused stares from the team.

Rebecca, surprisingly, was the first to be changed, probably from her increasing nerves. She made her way out to the stadium, standing in awe of the vastness of the large stadium.

Sergio came up behind her, “I felt the same way when I first stepped on the field.”

Rebecca turned around, a little startled. “I forgot you played for Real Madrid, celebrity boy,” she replied with a grin.

Sergio could see the sorrow that filled Rebecca’s eyes, as she looked around the stadium, turning in a circle to get the total feeling. Until someone, accidentally bumped into her.

“This isn’t a playground, so stop acting like a kid,” Fernando said angrily.

Rebecca picked herself up, dusted off the imaginary dust. She stood tall as she walked towards Fernando, and with all the hatred she could muster she said, “Take your own advice, buddy.”

Sergio could only stand there and laugh, seeing as Fernando had a good three or four inches on Rebecca. But Fernando was the one to back down, with a scared look on his face.

“Now, now,” boomed Luis. “Let’s get this practice started.

Rebecca went through the practice feeling like the girl that once played at a national level. Often stealing glimpses at Luis, who smiled at her like she was an angel sent from heaven. Rebecca couldn’t understand why anyone would think that she was. Yes, she did look graceful on a soccer field. Yes, she could pretty much play any position given to her, except goalie, she’d leave that to San Iker.

The drill that came next would only widen the distance between Fernando and Rebecca.

For being 69 years old, Luis could sure yell loud. “Two lines, attackers and defenders. Attackers score; defenders, stop them. Then switch positions.”

Rebecca had no idea how she got paired up with Fernando, but she planned on wiping that smirk off his face. Fernando slowly made his way to the net, sizing up Rebecca in the process. He made a move to do a cross-over, but Rebecca was too quick and tackled him before he could counter her attack. The cheer from the team was ear-splitting. As the two cross paths to start the second part of the drill, Fernando sneered in Rebecca’s ear, “That was a fluke, now let’s see you try and score.”

Rebecca replied pleasantly, knowing full well the team was trying to hear what they were saying, “Gladly.”

Rebecca worked her way towards the net, picking up speed, trying a different approach then Fernando. Since he was beaten by a girl in front of his team, Fernando was steaming with fury. Without even thinking, he charged at Rebecca, lunging to scare her and make an easy tackle. Rebecca chipped the ball over Fernando, leaping over his lunging body. And she walked the ball to the net, before tapping in it.

Let’s just say that Fernando was not a happy camper after his embarrassment. And Rebecca made sure to stay clear of Fernando. She received many back-breaking claps on the back from the entire team, saying that Fernando had never been beaten like that before.

The team made their way back to the dressing room, making plans to go clubbing later that night. Rebecca kept her head down, since she had not gone out for almost two years, except if it had been for work.

Sergio noticed her quietness, and asked her, “Rebecca, you’re coming, right?”

Rebecca looked up, not knowing what to say. Only to see the smirk that lay on Fernando’s face.

“Tell me when and where, babe and I’ll be there,” Rebecca replied with a smirk of her own.

Sergio nodded at her response, “I’ll text you the plans and we’ll go together.”

Rebecca smiled and made her way back to her apartment.
Boy would she have a lot to tell Rafa before she went out.
♠ ♠ ♠
"We keep ourselves a mystery, But we provide, provide the clues."
~ Cute Is What We Aim For