Is Insanity the New Sanity?

Chapter Two

"Anya, it's time for your medicine." A lady tapped my shoulder. I took the two cups and pretended to take the pill. I'm not crazy, therefore I have no reason taking this medicine. She smiled a warm, motherly, smile and walked away. Dolly's tune hadn't changed. Dolly never stopped humming.

"Hey new girl, come here." A girl with piercings littering her face. I stood up and followed her.

"So, welcome to Sunshine Crazy House. I'm Claire. I'm about as normal as it gets. Your roomy Dolly, she's been here for three months. Never eats, never sleeps, never moves, never does anything. Just sits and hums all day long. They bring her out and take her to the emergency room every once in a while. Since she never eats. Came here 'cause she did the same at home." Claire stopped and looked at me. She winked and continued. "Amber is the girl with the sick face. She was obsessed with fire. Said it made her feel like she was free from this prison. Burned her face clean off and she's been here ever since." Claire slapped Amber in the back. Amber smiled and giggled.

"How'd you get here?" I asked with a lot less confidence than Claire had. She stopped...stared down one of the long, dark halls...then turned to face me.

"I killed my family. They showed my sister more attention than me. I ripped his tongue out with a razor blade. Smashed his head with a frying pan. Chopped my parents with a sling blade. Ever seen that movie?" I stared with a mouth wide open. She smiled back.

"Close that mouth, somebody'll stick a dick in there." I clasped my mouth shut. "How'd you get here?"

"I-uh-started to see ghosts. My mother thought I was delusional, so she entered me here for two weeks. Then I fought the guards, so I'm here till I get better."

"Wow, you are crazy. They might have said two weeks, but it really means you stay forever. You're stuck here doll." She pulled me in close to her. Like she about to shove her tongue down my throat. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes.When I reopened them, she was going on. I followed. "That's Dennis. He'll hit on you the first few days. The you won't even realize he's here. He killed his wife because she cheated on him. They found him in there house chanting something about her."I'm living with a bunch of killers and lunatics. " Let's get us a snack."

So we got a snack. She get chips and a cherry Coke, I got a Powerade and a Twix.

"So..." She cocked her head to the left. Extended her eyebrows. The piercing jumbled up and I saw the holes. I watched her with question in my eyes. She twirled her hand. "'Your name genius!"

"Oh...um..." She cut me off.

"Um...what a weird name. What religion are you?"

"My name's Anya, actually."

"Well, that took a shit load out of you." She pulled a cigarette from her pants and lit it. "You want?" She tilted the pack toward me. I waved my hand.

"How long you been smoking?" I asked. She stared at me. The green eyes I saw belonged to someone else. They were so generous, happy, nice. Not mean, evil, and carefree.

"Shall we continue the tour?" This question was rhetoric. Claire walked on. I followed.