L'autre Côté du Miroir

Legs.

The graveyard was just as it always had been. Dark, despite the light of morning, eerie and macabre. For the first time in months I was walking alone, and for the first time in months I payed attention to what was around me. I saw a glimpse of white in the corner of my eye, and I turned sharply only to see a frightened pair of legs tiptoeing around the graves.

I ran after them, with my new legs jolting beneath me.

“YOU STOP RIGHT NOW!” I shouted bossily at my legs, and they obeyed. They came slinking towards me, looking ashamed. Without wasting time or giving them another chance to run away, I cut the strings attaching my new legs to my body and tied them onto my old ones. The battered old legs felt comfortable and familiar beneath me. Smiling, I began to walk back home.

As I walked I began to ponder…these battered old legs, violated by the eyes of men had come running back to me, carrying with them the reality of my shame and dissatisfaction. Apathy rained on me as I neared my home, and I knew what I needed to do.

I had to break away from self-deceit.

x

Pepito was cooking eggs when I returned to the horrible, run-down apartment. His huge, false smile depressed me.

“Hello, my love! Where did you go? Are you ok, you look sad?” he rushed to me and I was engulfed in his limp embrace.
“I’m fine…I love you…” dodging his kiss, I went to my bedroom and locked the door.

I took three deep breaths. Alone, finally. Memories of the night I was attacked came back to me; the invasion of space, of dignity.

I was suffocating!

x