Status: Hiatus.

Love Can't Save You

Melissa

Hate is the new black. That name is my life, my future, my everything. What, you ask, could have such an effect on me? My band, why of course, where I stand as the front women/singer. Well, when we need a front woman at least.

For now I am a nineteen-year-old girl, who still lives with my mom, have thirty-five bucks in the bank, and a steady job at Zappos. Zappos is a very popular vintage store and I have happened to score a job there with my two best friends, Jamia Nestor and Alicia Simmons.

Jamia is also my old brother Frank’s longtime girlfriend and we’ll probably end up sister in-laws one day. Alicia is the bassist in HITNB along with Brooke Clark, guitarist extraordinaire, and Alina Newman, badass drummer. And we’re good too. Almost the best band in Jersey, with the exception of two bands that were on eyeball with us. Pencey Prep and My Chemical Romance. Pencey, Frank’s band, was already on the rocks and weren’t going to last long and I’m checking out My Chem with Frank tonight. He never misses one of their shows. He is like their biggest best friend fan. Alicia is tagging along as well because she’s dating the bassist of the said band. Dating the enemy.

I’ve heard some stuff about the vocalist, none of them being very impressive or flattering on his part, but I know he can sing and that’s not good for me. Plus he’s got Ray Toro, a good friend of mine, and he happens to be one of the best guitarists on the planet.

“Lissa! These customers aren’t going to help themselves! Do we need another pay cut?” Suck the fun out of everything Damien called from behind the register. I sighed and abandoned my magazine.

“Keep your pants on! I’m going!” I complained. Shifts with the manger, Damien Spears, were the worst. I rolled my eyes and walked over to a group of guys who walked into the shop. “Can I help you?” I smiled sweetly.

“Oh I can think of some ways…” One of them said checking me out. He was average height with greasy black hair, stunning green eyes, and an ego. Just the kind of guy I love to hate. A taller guy who was kind of lank and had mousy brown hair and cute glasses on the tip if his nose elbowed the older looking one while the others laughed.

“Excused my brother, he’s an ass. I’m here to get a present for my girlfriend. Think you can help?” The lanky one asked. I smirked.

“Name?” I asked raising my eyebrows lazily. He looked confused,

“Huh?” He asked. I rolled my eyes impatiently. Guys could be so slow sometimes.

“Your girlfriend, what is her name?” I repeated slowly. A look of understanding rippled acrossed his face.

“Oh right! Her name is, uh Alicia Simmons.” He answered. “Why do you know her?” I started to laugh. Do I know her?

“Leesh and I have been best friends since the first day of preschool when we were three,” I answered. “So yeah, I guess you could say I know her.”

“Right,” He answered nervously. I seized him up a little differently now. Time for protective sister mode.

“So the mysterious Michael James Way. Bassist of My Chemical Romance, Brother of local ass Gerard Way, birthday September 10th, in college, works at Barnes and nobles, favorite color is red, average brains, pretty shy, and your kind of like a peace keeper. Your mother does pottery class with mine every Tuesday, and you may or may not know my brother but you sure as hell know Toro. And no, I’m not a stalker. I’m a good listener.” I reeled off while walking around the store, stopping at a certain shelf every once and a while trying to find a gift and the guys following my every move.

“Wow. Alicia’s told you that much about me?” Mikey asked in wonder. I looked over my shoulder at him with a weird glance.

“That girl talks a mile a minute! What are you two to busy making out to talk?” I asked and he blushed. I laughed. “Thought so.” I muttered under my breathe.

“Do you do drugs? Are you sexually active? Do you smoke? Ever been to jail? Do you pressure girls into things they don’t want to do? Are you a drug dealer? Are you gay and secretly using Alicia as a cover-up? Are you just plain using her? Do I need to find out where you live, cause I can.” I asked, frowning at him. He looked really freaked, and his brother looked guilty. He probably was guilty of all those things.

“No to all.” Mikey squeaked, obviously freaked from the sudden change of mood. I laughed.

“Good.” Then I turned back to my findings.

“So I’m an ass am I?” The greasy one piped up, presuming Gerard. “And what does that make you, Melissa?” He asked snottily glancing at my nametag.

“Oh well I’m a bitch, but I admit it. I know guys like you Gerard Way, and they are scum. You are scum, the way you usepeople girls to your advantage and except them to be like little servants for your needs. I know guys like you, and they are asses.” I retorted, while finally finding the perfect thing. “Here Mikey, this is what you should buy her. Like it?” He looked kindly at the silver heart pendent while his brother stood beside fuming.

“That depends on how much it is.” He sighed. “I’ll never be able to afford it.” I glanced over at Damien before ripping off the fifty dollar price tag.

“Fifteen dollars.” I announce. “Would you like it gift wrapped?” He looked at as if I were an angel or something, then smiled.

“Lissa Iero. You have two older brothers and your parents are divorced. You are the singer of Hate is the New Black and you have gone to catholic school all your life. You took a year off before college for the band and if you don’t have your big break before school starts in the fall your mom is making you stop all music career options. You call your mom Linda instead of Mom, and have had more boyfriends than Gerard has girlfriends. Your favorite band is Black Flag and you like to check out new indie/alteritive bands all the time. Your latest obsession is Fall Out Boy from Chicago and you think that one day they will be awesomely big. I listen too.” Mikey offered. I beamed.

“It’s nice to know that you don’t just makeout.” I answered as he handed me the money and I handed him the package. “Use protection! Safe sex is happy sex!” And then they were gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment and subscribe please :]

Image