Skinny Jeans Have No Place On These Thighs

The Worst Idea Ever

By some miracle I manage to get out of the house. I cannot believe that telling my mother that I was going to the LIBRARY worked! But it did.

So, I get on a bus and go straight to Bridget's house. I have no idea what I'm going to say. I think about it the whole ride there.

I'm prepared for the fact that Bridget might be a little angry with me for just showing up at her house even when she hadn't invited me. And after she's specifically asked me not to come.

But hey, I was a girl on a mission to see her man.

Only, of course, he's not my man. He's a guy I've only met once before who I haven't seen for four days. But how else am I supposed to see him? I don't know where he lives.

The only things I know about him are his name, the fact he's a band and that he's a great kisser.

My mission is to learn more. And hopefully be in a situation where he can ask me out.

By the time I get to Bridget's house I'm out of breath. Not in the 'I've been running and I'm sweaty' sense. I suppose it's just nerves.

I walk up the drive (after a little bit of dithering about at the gate) and ring the front door bell.

I'm just composing myself, getting ready to meet Bridget when the door is opened by, not Bridget, but her brother. Seb.

He gives me this surprised sort of glance and then says, "Oh, hello."

I grin stupidly and say, "Hi!"

Seb carries on looking surprised and asks, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to see Bridget." It's not a lie. I'm also here to see Bridget.

"Oh, didn't she tell you?" says Seb, raising his eyebrows. "She's not here. She's gone out."

My turn to look surprised.

"Oh," I struggle to think of my next move. Without Bridget being here, my entrance has no purpose. "Well, she must have just forgotten, I'll wait for her."

And I walk awkwardly past Seb and I stand in the hall. I feel really lost suddenly. It doesn't feel right to be here when Bridget is otherwise engaged elsewhere. I can't help wondering where she is. She told me she'd be spending the night tidying up.

But as I look around the hall, I see that the tidying must have already taken place. It's almost as though the party never happened.

"The place looks great," I say, trying to pretend I'm grown up and haven't been here in years. It doesn't really work.

Seb is looking at me weirdly still.

"It's almost like there never was a party," I continue, struggling slightly. That's the problem with Seb, he doesn't talk all that much.

He nods but doesn't smile. "We tidied everything up."

"So I see!" I gush, smiling widely. "Well done, you!"

"Yeah, uh, if you want to wait in Bridget's room - I've got a practice going on downstairs."

"Oh, OK," I say.

This is not going well. If I go wait upstairs then I'll never get a chance to see Marcus. Only now, I can't leave until Bridget gets back. Seb will tell her I was here either way. And Bridget will see right to my ulterior motive.

Then something wonderful happens.

"Hey, what's the hold up Seb? You making out with the delivery girl?"

Up the stairs from the cellar comes Marcus. He's wearing jeans and a beanie hat and a t-shirt with The Strokes on it.

He catches sight of me and falters for a second. Or do I just think he does?

"You all right?" greets Marcus, nodding at me.

I feel so unwelcome. There's an awkward atmosphere and it's all down to my presence.

"Fine," I force myself to say. "Just came to see Bridget but . . . apparently she forgot she was meeting me - " God, does that sound like a lie! "

"Oh, OK. Cool."

Awkward atmosphere building.

And then - out of nowhere - I get a little courage.

"Actually, since I'm here, I wanted to ask you about something," I say to Marcus, smiling. Then trying not to. Then smiling in spite of myself.

"Oh - "

"I'll see you downstairs - " Seb makes a quick exit.

Marcus glances at his retreating form with what I can only make out as envy. God, this was such a stupid mission. Why did I EVER think that Marcus liked me?

He turns and smiles politely at me. "So, what's up?"

"Uh . . . "

My courage is waining, going, going, almost entirely evaporated.

And then, I get the worst idea. Ever. And, before I can stop myself, I'm asking him.

"Do you know where I can get some cocaine?"