BANG! One Shot Was All It Took

Winter Loss

Hannah stared into the cold, grey sky, her pure tears freezing on her face, her brown hair becoming thicker than ever, filled with icy crystals. The snow that was as pure as her tears swirled down around her as she walked through the grey, lifeless streets. However the way she felt, she might as well have been walking through the shadowy, evil valley of death.

"Why did you have to leave?" she asked no one in particular, earning strange looks from passers-by. However, she ignored them, a look of total and complete sadness in her eyes. This told the world one thing that Hannah had known since the day he left: she was broken, inside and out. His leaving had started her inevitable descent into this, a broken child. As he had been her first kiss, her first time, he had also been her first love. She had never cheated on him, and he had never cheated on her. Or so she thought.

So deep in her thoughts was Hannah that she was barely aware of the way she was walking. She knew this path well enough though. It was one she trod many times, to ask the questions that she always asked, and had done for a year. She had walked this path everyday, looking for answers. She neared her destination, a place of questions and hurt. Her love's home. Where he had been for a year. His going had prompted him to come here. He hadn't had a choice. Not that it was a bad non-choice. It was a good place, very grand, even if it was shared.

Hannah entered through the black gates of doom that had formed ice on, so were slippery to the touch, and went past the leafless trees that overhung the narrow track through the stones. The track to where he had gone was long and arduous to walk, with many faults. Did he really have to be right at the far end of this place? She supposed he hadn't had a choice.

Hannah finally saw him and hurried towards him, her face shining slightly. God, how she loved him still, even after a year.

"Why did you leave?" she cried out to him, just before she got there. There was no answer. There never was anymore. Not from him, not from God. Just the sound of rustling leaves in the trees and the odd bird singing, on a warm day. But this was December, not April. Warm days were long gone. No trees rustled today either. There was a deathly silence around this place, almost anticipating what she was going to do.

She reached him and kneeled, looking up at him. God, he was beautiful. She had always thought he was, from the moment she had first seen him in that bar. His beautiful, chocolaty-brown eyes were full of laughter as he joked with his friends in the bar. He stood out, not just because of his tall height, but his general aura. Other than his height, he was average. He had slightly shaggy, straight mousey-brown hair, and had a rounded face. He wasn't overly thin, but thin enough to be close to underweight. He was 6'2", so had towered over her almost diminutive 5'1". But she had loved him. Everything about him was special. Especially his personality.

They had started living together, and Hannah had spent all day at work, pining for home. Where he was. Everyday, he came home about 8 o’clock, and would then spend the rest of the night with her. No matter what he did after 8 pm, it was with her. Whether it be eating, watching the TV, or having sex. It was with her.

However, most nights he came home too tired to have sex. He said his job took it out of him. Hannah sometimes doubted that, and said so, but the next night he would be home, tired, his briefcase full, and a large bunch of roses in his hands.

Later, at his funeral, she found out that he had five other girlfriends. She felt like Annie, one of the murderesses from Chicago. But Hannah hadn’t killed him. She had loved him too much. Even worse than feeling like Annie was feeling used.

"I've said I'm sorry. Isn't that enough?" she cried again, this time throwing more desperation into her voice. Maybe he would back to her this time. Maybe. She had been trying for a year, yet he had not yet come back.

"No" came the whispered reply, as the chilly wind blew, in an odd gust on this calm day. "I want you to suffer. Forever. I am not the one that left you, you see, it was you that left me, Hannah."

"No!!!! I never left you! I am the one that has come here every day for a year to try to bring you back and you accuse me of leaving you! I intend to keep on doing this, until you come back!" yelled Hannah, unable to keep control. More tears flooded down her face, but she didn't feel the freezing there. She was too cold to feel anything but the angry passion that burnt through her. The righteous, angry passion that consumed her, and meant that she was no longer in control of herself. The love for him, the passion and the anger was. Not her. She was sadness, and love. No anger, no passion. Just those two things, sadness and love.

"Even if I did leave you, I didn't want to!" Hannah yelled to him again, the expression on his face not changing from that infuriating grin.

Suddenly, Hannah fell silent. The air was thick, and she knew what she had to do.

"I hate this. I hate loving you as much as I love it. I can't go on like this. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to leave you. I really didn't. I have to end this now. We can be together forever." she whispered, her voice ragged and harsh, hurt by her screams of anger.

Hannah pulled the gun from her coat, the metal warm against her hands from her body heat. Cocking it, she looked into his eyes.

"I'm sorry..." she whispered one last time before she pulled the trigger. The shot rang round the graveyard, as she slumped to the floor, red colouring her white shirt from the spray, crimson soaking into the ground.

"Together, forever... At last" the trees seemed to whisper. Blood dripped from his picture, where his grin remained. Her blood had soaked down to join his body. Another of his mourning girlfriends would find her the next morning.

In death, they were together…